Back from the game - Argyle

122 posts
Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Back from the game - Argyle

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 15:53

Royal Lady I'm glad a few more people are seeing the positives in Marek!! I said very early on that his vision was fantastic - his only problem is that the rest of the team aren't on the same wavelength! More starts for Marek and by the end of the season we could be flying.

But the manager will see this, and sort the players out
to see the pass before it's made

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 15:55

Penalties still count. Given most of the others (who've tried) inability to regularly score them, it makes him more useful. Why not check his scoring rates for the last couple of seasons as well.

3, 4 and 7 and now 6. Consistently chipping in, which for a winger is pretty useful. Whereas Kebe has been quite unconvincing infront of goal. Earlier in the season he was regularly getting about 3 very good chances a game and missing all of them.

But that aside, he's still a very useful player to have available to us and there is yet room for him to improve and develop.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 15:57

Ian Royal Don't I mention NHunt as an option?

Oh yes, so I do. The point being he wouldn't be playing as a striker, but as a wide forward. A subtle, but important difference.

And playing as a striker for crosses coming in from the left
And playing as a striker for free-kicks coming in from the left
And available to be switch to a conventional striker as necessary

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 16:01

Why are you trying to argue with me about something where there doesn't appear to be any actual disagreement?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 16:02

Ian Royal Penalties still count. Given most of the others (who've tried) inability to regularly score them, it makes him more useful. Why not check his scoring rates for the last couple of seasons as well.

Stop being such a pathetic dickhead.

Scoring penalties is hardly a measure of "being a striker who can cut in from the wing" or "being a scoring winger"

For God's sake there have been GOALKEEPERS who take the club's penalties.

Whereas Kebe has been quite unconvincing infront of goal. Earlier in the season he was regularly getting about 3 very good chances a game and missing all of them.

Hmmm, the club stats give him 41 shots all season, but he was getting THREE VG chances a game? So say he had 3 VG chances a game for 13 games, = 39

So he hasn't had any chances for 20 games?

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 16:03

Ian Royal Why are you trying to argue with me about something where there doesn't appear to be any actual disagreement?

Because you're being a big girl and couldn't let a simple agreement go without a stupid comment,

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 16:04

Why are you making up figures which have no basis in anything I said again?

And do you really need to keep up the abuse? It's not very nice.

juanpablo
Hob Nob Regular

by juanpablo » 08 Mar 2009 16:13

Ian Royal Why are you making up figures which have no basis in anything I said again?

lol at claiming people are making up stats after saying Kebe was missing 3 good chances a game

you oxf*rd my wife!!

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 16:25

Ian Royal Why are you making up figures which have no basis in anything I said again?

You are denying that you said" Whereas Kebe has been quite unconvincing infront of goal. Earlier in the season he was regularly getting about 3 very good chances a game and missing all of them.

Incidentally Kebe is MORE ACCURATE than SHunt on this year's statistics

If you count "hit woodwork" as on target, Kebe gets half his shots on target, (that's 50% to you) but SHunt gets less than 46%

Jimmy Kebe 20 on target 21 off target 1 hit woodwork
Stephen Hunt 16 on target 20 off target 1 hit woodwork

Kitson12
Hob Nob Regular

by Kitson12 » 08 Mar 2009 16:32

Having made the 5 hour journey to Plymouth, and then 5 hours back after the game gave me plenty of time to think about the way we played.
Overall I'm quite content with a point against what seems to be a rejuvinated Plymouth side languishing near the base of the table. Though, I do feel we did have the chances to win the game, and maybe should have done too, but happy nonetheless.

So here are my ratings:

Feds: 7 Didn't have a huge amount to do, collected a few shots that skidded in, couldn't have done anything for either of the goals, yet managed to get a hand to Gallagher's. Kicking good, only one went out into touch IIRC.
Rosey: 6/7 It's been said, got booked very early on, seemed to be on the back foot for most of the game from then on, up until the last quarter of an hour when he made some great runs forward, and put some crosses in.
Stretch: 8 Had a really good game, defended very well, made plenty of forward runs, and complimented a poorly performing Hunt. Thought he went through a slight fall in performance for about 10 mins after he got injured, when it really didn't look good for him, but then went all guns blazing towards the end.
Pearce: 7 Unfortunately he didn't finish the game, otherwise I'd have given him an 8. Ever week he looks more and more professional, good in the challenge, fantastic heading, unlucky with their goal, got what looked like a blatant shove in the back. He scored a peach of a header, and could well have got another. He is most definetly a Reading captain in the making. Hope he is ok to play on tuesday after his horrible blood injury.
Doobs: 6 Fairly good performance, I agree that he was partly at fault for both goals, could have marked Gallagher a little better, and could have made more of an effort to close down Mackie. Thought he also looked a bit worse for wear after he'd had treatment.
Kebe: 7 His best game in a Reading shirt IMO, calm, almost assured performance, where he was a lot less 'flairy' and more simple. Took his goal very very well, almost as if he'd been scoring all season. Some great runs into the channel, though I wish he'd be a bit less shot shy sometimes. And also now that Glen is back Kebe will learn even more hopefully.
Hunt: 6 Once again he was poor, crossing seldom got past the first man, however I will say that he appeared much more committed to the tackle, there was more energy, and maybe just maybe he is beginning to turn the corner.
Marek: 7 Fantastic passer of the ball, got in there with a challenge once or twice and provided a fantastic cross for Pearce as well as helping with Kebe goal. However, sometimes he can be a little too weak, and needs to make players around him know wheat he is going to do. Can't believe we've left him out for so long to be honest.
Cisse: 6/7 I don't wholeheartedly agree with what people are say on here about Cisse. I thought he really put himself about, was always there for a tackle and was very strong. Unlucky to hit the bar when it was 2-1 to PA, but was at fault for the second Plymouth goal, letting the ball go far too easily, much like at Brum earlier in the season. However I feel he compliments Marek very well.
Doyle: 7 He worked hard as always, put challenges in, and generally gave 110% as he always does. Thought he should have done better when one on one with the keeper, instead of squaring it shooting. Very unlucky when he did shoot on his other 1 on 1. Also possibly should have scored from the goalmouth scramble in the first half.
Long: 8 Well, I don't think Lita will be starting another match for a while, a very pleasing and strong performance from this young lad. Outmuscled opponents, worked tirelessly to get the ball, and chased lost causes all day. Possibly should have been a little more aware when Doyle squared said ball (see above) when the defender missed it to just prod in, but hard to see anything 'wrong' with his performance.

Subs:

Bikey: 6 Good to see him back, didn't really have time to do much, gave away one foul, think thats about it.
Harper: 5 Too little time, when coming on for the seemingly injured (?) Cisse.
Hunt: Why was he not brought on? Even for the last 5?

Reading fans: 9 Constantly outsung the very poor Plymouth fans, and it was nice to seen Kingsley there too.

Speaking to PA fans after the game most of the believed that we are the best team they have played all season, and that we will probably end up finishing first.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 17:11

Snowball

You are denying that you said" Whereas Kebe has been quite unconvincing infront of goal. Earlier in the season he was regularly getting about 3 very good chances a game and missing all of them.

If you count "hit woodwork" as on target, Kebe gets half his shots on target, (that's 50% to you) but SHunt gets less than 46%

I'm not denying what I said snowball. I'm pointing out your figures 3 shots per game for 13 games were plucked out of nowhere and did not come from what I said. :roll:
If I wanted to get pedantic I also said chances not shots.

Quoting figures for shots recorded on a website takes no account of the comparable quality of the chance for each shot either.

This pissing contest is getting boring now. I'm at least trying not to argue with you for the sake of it and have stopped name calling. Please make a little more effort to read what I actually say and not just leap on a chance to go off on a tangent to introduce some numbers.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 08 Mar 2009 17:30

Well, I've just got back from Plymouth. Had a great time and an Ivor Dewdney pasty from the back of a van.

Was glad to see Long playing so well. When he ran for the ball up the other end of the pitch I thought it was certainly going out and he proved me wrong. Good to see our crossing had improved too. Pearce's injury looked pretty bad as his head seemed to be flowing with blood before he went off. We could have had a few goals a the end if only our shots had been on target.

Thought the fans did all right...and Kingsley was a surprise - especially his exchanges with the Plymouth mascots. Had to laugh when the Plymouth fans started calling us 'Dirty Northern bastards' and we replied 'Have you ever seen a map?' too.

Was happier than expected at the end of the game as I hadn't realised one of the Plymouth goals had been disallowed and spent a lot of the second half thinking we'd lost. :oops:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 08 Mar 2009 17:33

decent away point IMO
if we could possibly, and i know its a big ask win both of our home games, this will have been a great start to the month

armstrong, kebe, rosenior, long, doobs, pearce all doing really well, matejovski wet but worth it, hunt being better defensively than going forward, all in all a good team performence, and who knows if the decision goes our way for their goal we could have won it

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 17:34

Sarah Star
Thought the fans did all right...and Kingsley was a surprise - especially his exchanges with the Plymouth mascots. Had to laugh when the Plymouth fans started calling us 'Dirty Northern bastards' and we replied 'Have you ever seen a map?' too.

Excellent! :lol:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 18:50

Ian Royal
Snowball

I'm not denying what I said snowball. I'm pointing out your figures 3 shots per game for 13 games were plucked out of nowhere and did not come from what I said. :roll:
If I wanted to get pedantic I also said chances not shots.

You really are a squirmer, aren't you? You MADE UP a ridiculous, unprovable, unsupportable statement that
"Earlier in the season he was regularly getting about 3 very good chances a game and missing all of them.

Now "regularly", to me, means virtually every game, and for a lot of games, certainly not 4 or 5. My 13 was not saying YOU had said it, you Dodo, it was showing how stupid was your totally-made-up statistic. We could do exactly the same, and choose EIGHT games, or ten games. If Earlier in the season KEBE was regularly getting about 3 very good chances a game (for 8 games) and missing all of them." that would be 24 and it would mean he has only had 16 chances in the other 22 games, not exactly likely. What is far more likely is that his chances are fairly well spread out. Easy to prove, just needs either someone with a good memory or a trawl through the match reports.

But everybody knows you plucked that dumb statistic out of the ether.

Quoting figures for shots recorded on a website takes no account of the comparable quality of the chance for each shot either.

Of course it doesn't, but COMMON-SENSE (do you have any?) says that the main strikers playing in and around the penalty spot will get more chances that are not at sharp angles, whereas the two wingers, when they get chances, will often be at acute angles so will be HARDER chances... just as Kebe's was at Plymouth. He scored his. Doyle had two similar ones and didn't score.

This pissing contest is getting boring now. I'm at least trying not to argue with you for the sake of it and have stopped name calling. Please make a little more effort to read what I actually say and not just leap on a chance to go off on a tangent to introduce some numbers.

No you're just "cute" about it instead, making little asides and unnecessary digs, eg about the post where essentially I agreed with you.

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 08 Mar 2009 19:11

Snowball, do the club stats show the number of good chances that Kebe had where he didnt actually get a shot off?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 08 Mar 2009 20:46

Sarah Star

Haven't you? To Plymouth, everyone is a Northern bastard! :wink:

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 08 Mar 2009 20:54

Southbank Old Boy Snowball, do the club stats show the number of good chances that Kebe had where he didnt actually get a shot off?

Nope, but presumably the write-ups would say so.

And how many times does SHunt get crowded out, or Doyle run down a blind-alley, or (they say) Shane mis-control and lose the ball?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 08 Mar 2009 21:57

I could try and argue some more, but you'd only try and twist what I say with some more numbers plucked from nowhere that bear no resemblance to what I've said. So it's probably best for the state of everyone's sanity that I don't bother.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 08 Mar 2009 23:23

Ian Royal I could try and argue some more, but you'd only try and twist what I say with some more numbers plucked from nowhere that bear no resemblance to what I've said. So it's probably best for the state of everyone's sanity that I don't bother.

You two should get a room. It was exactly the same on I'm a celebrity between Katie Price and Peter Andre - and look what happened to them!

122 posts