CONFIRMED - DAVE KITSON SOS (SAVE OUR SEASON!)

455 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Kitson to return?

by Hoop Blah » 10 Mar 2009 10:56

Players, especially forwards, will always hit runs of good and bad form. Hunt is no different and although I think his early season form may have flattered his talent a little, he is still a decent Championship forward. Not the most gifted, but very good at what he does.

A fully fit and motivated Kitson is still a class apart though.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 10 Mar 2009 11:01

Hugo Boss
Stranded
Hugo Boss Huge step backwards IMO. Very, very disappointing.

This smacks of desperation to me. Last time we bought Little in on loan to get us up, we stayed down. Last time we threw money at "experienced" players to get us up (Ferdinand & Keown) we stayed down. Just seems a little like we're admitting we aint got the answers to get us out of the rut we're in. Not only that, what sort of message does it send to Noel Hunt, Tabb etc?? Not good for the future of the Club in my honest opinion.

I couldn't disagree more.

Given where we are and how long of the season there is left, signing Kitson and Little - two excellent players for this level who also know the club, the manager and they way he likes to play inside out is an excellent move. Much better than going out and getting just someone who may or may not improve the side.

We know that all things being equal, with these two back we have a better squad and first XI than we did last Saturday. Add to that the rest of the division will know just what these players acheived last time they were at this level at this club and it makes complete sense.

I do agree with your point about them knowing how the Manager plays - Very valid point and one i'd overlooked.

However... How long before Little gets injured?? How long before Kitson starts gobbing off and upsetting everyone at the training ground again?? How long before the likes of Noel Hunt (who have looked promising players for the future of the Club) get the a*se and do one??

The whole thing just aint a good, long term move for me.

They are both here for 10/11 games and if their presence sees the club go up then the chances are those players mentioned could end up being replaced anyway.

If Long/Hunt are going to sulk about it then they shouldn't be in football anyway - I would hope that the arrival of these players sees them step up again and play better than they already have. The biggest impact Kitson and Little could have is by not even making the line up as the players here step up again and take us over the line.

Yep, Little could well get injured but so could Kebe - one of the strikers could get hurt too. We are now a better squad than we were and that's all that matters.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 10 Mar 2009 11:03

I'm starting to think I look at things too negatively. Good points Stranders.

I'm still not 100% convinced it's the right thing to do but if we go up and it inspires players to perform better then it can't be all bad I guess.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 10 Mar 2009 11:04

Anyone got odds on a return of the full 05/06 squad?
Last edited by SLAMMED on 10 Mar 2009 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

Turns8
Hob Nob Regular

by Turns8 » 10 Mar 2009 11:05

SLAMMED ANyone got odds on a return of the full 05/06 squad?

ALOLITO/1 :wink:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 10 Mar 2009 11:05

Stranded Yep, Little could well get injured but so could Kebe - one of the strikers could get hurt too. We are now a better squad than we were and that's all that matters.

And if we've got them, Birmingham can't get them on loan.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 10 Mar 2009 11:08

WTF

is this true?

when are we getting sidders and shorey back?! :lol: :lol:

its a good gamble from copps if so, for little and kits

they know whats expected, the manager trusts them, and theyll give us the vital support we need in those areas

though ill agree its easy to look at it as a step back, ill take it as a positive
and am looking forward to seeing them again

kitson much more likely to play than little IMO
though you cant just chuck em in there, as it will piss everyone else off
& lita will be well pissed off already

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2009 11:13

Hugo Boss Huge step backwards IMO. Very, very disappointing.

This smacks of desperation to me. Last time we bought Little in on loan to get us up, we stayed down. Last time we threw money at "experienced" players to get us up (Ferdinand & Keown) we stayed down. Just seems a little like we're admitting we aint got the answers to get us out of the rut we're in. Not only that, what sort of message does it send to Noel Hunt, Tabb etc?? Not good for the future of the Club in my honest opinion.

Forget, for a minute that these two are specifically Little and Kitson, ex-Reading players.

5-6-7 weeks ago the list was bleating about the club not signing permanent or loan players.

So we have brought back Lita from Norwich, signed Harding for the left (both "debatable" but it is more cover)

And we sign Tabb, Coventry Captain and Player of the Year.

We sign a player who has been near-legend at a Championship club, a proven top-quality player, one that should slot in effortlessly. WE DO THAT TWICE!

In many ways, IMO, Kebe is the future and he'll keep improving, but the one thing Lita gave us was an outlet for a breather.
It isn't just whether he can beat a man and get in a cross. The big difference for me is that he can KEEP THE BALL.

That gives us a defensive outlet we've been missing all season

MAYBE GLEN CAN TEACH KEBS TO SLOW THINGS DOWN OCCASIONALLY. IF HE IMPROVES KEBS BY 1-2-3% THAT WOULD BE FANTASTIC.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 10 Mar 2009 11:19

MAYBE GLEN CAN TEACH KEBS TO SLOW THINGS DOWN OCCASIONALLY

Spot on there!

Kitson to sign for us next season at a reduced price due to his proven inability to score at Stoke. :mrgreen: Sounds like Coppell is a sneaky fecker. :D

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2009 11:20

Stranded
They are both here for 10/11 games and if their presence sees the club go up then the chances are those players mentioned could end up being replaced anyway.

If Long/Hunt are going to sulk about it then they shouldn't be in football anyway - I would hope that the arrival of these players sees them step up again and play better than they already have. The biggest impact Kitson and Little could have is by not even making the line up as the players here step up again and take us over the line.

Yep, Little could well get injured but so could Kebe - one of the strikers could get hurt too. We are now a better squad than we were and that's all that matters.

Well said. If Shane starts tonight, how much motivation does he need to score a couple of goals?

And if he does, goes off to an ovation for Noel, and then NOEL grabs one in a 5-0 win

Similarly, Kebe will be thinking, I need to keep the side a winning side.

SHunt will be thinking... MAYBE he's thinking of dropping ME, bringing Kebs to the left...

Expect the side to start so fired up tonight that after ten minutes we'll be thinking Sheffield Wednesday.

True, if we miss sixteen chances and then Charlton score....

sam1
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by sam1 » 10 Mar 2009 11:21

Tempted as I am to jump on this bandwagon of excitement and optimism, I have to agree with Hugo's very valid points.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 10 Mar 2009 11:22

Snowball
SHunt will be thinking... MAYBE he's thinking of dropping ME, bringing Kebs to the left...

WOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Mar 2009 11:27

Maguire
Gordons Cumming I wonder what Long, Lita N.Hunt/S Hunt, Kebe, Tabb, Mooney, Harding, Henry are thinking right now?

Long - "I really must go to confession, it's been a couple of weeks"

N.Hunt/S.Hunt - "still got time for a few more games of Call of Duty before we have to go to the ground"

Kebe - "sacre bleu, this Glen Petit, il n'est pas plus vite"

Tabb - "I wish I was a little bit taller, wish I was a baller, wish I had a girl who looked good I would call her"

Mooney - "the famine's over? Well, I might go home in that case"

Harding - "I really miss my dad, Matthew"

Henry - "being this close to Bermondsey has really helped me appreciate the tragedy of Jade Goody"

:lol: brilliant

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 10 Mar 2009 11:27

Hugo Boss . Just seems a little like we're admitting we aint got the answers to get us out of the rut we're in.

I thought the away win at Sheff Wed, the unlucky draw at Plymouth, the 4 goals and multiple chances were the green shoots of a recovery anyway......

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 10 Mar 2009 11:29

Snowball
Stranded

Well said. If Shane starts tonight, how much motivation does he need to score a couple of goals?

And if he does, goes off to an ovation for Noel, and then NOEL grabs one in a 5-0 win

Similarly, Kebe will be thinking, I need to keep the side a winning side.

Expect the side to start so fired up tonight that after ten minutes we'll be thinking Sheffield Wednesday.

True, if we miss sixteen chances and then Charlton score....

I must admit Snowball I'm surprised at your stance on this considering your clear admiration towards Long. I think this is a huge kick in the teeth for Shane. Coppell for wahatever reason at the first opportunity has put Noel Hunt to one side, given Lita a chance and now it was Shane's chance in his make or break season. Kitson won't be like Harding or Mooney and happy to sit around waiting for a chance, he's here to play and if he doesn't get his way? Well knowing his previous i wouldn't want him around. I think this leaves Shane in a very harsh situation,he's almost got to produce 8 or 9/10 performances now on a game by game basis, he's going to have to score in most games to keep his place because the first time he doesn't the clamour and temptation to bring Kitson back will be there. Coppell rightly won't take Doyle out of the side and now he's brought Kitson back that's the obvious partnership. I'm sure a lot of yo will rejoice in that this almost definitely means the end of Lita's career here and as for Shane I actually almost feel a bit sorry for him :shock:

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 10 Mar 2009 11:30

you never know the return of little and kits might bring the best out of harps and s.hunt again :?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

Re: RUMOUR - DAVE KITSON SOS (SAVE OUR SEASON!)

by Sun Tzu » 10 Mar 2009 11:30

loyalroyal4life This aint a bad move ON LOAN but it all comes down to what the permanent transfer fee will be

If we can just say forget the rest of the money stoke owe us and that is it then not a bad bit of business

I'm not sure Stoke actually owe us anything though....

It would have been pretty weird add on clauses if scoring no goals and failing to start many matches meant we got any bonuses. We might not even be eligible for the 'staying up' bonus now he's back on our books.

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 10 Mar 2009 11:31

royalexile MAYBE GLEN CAN TEACH KEBS TO SLOW THINGS DOWN OCCASIONALLY

Spot on there! Kitson to sign for us next season at a reduced price due to his proven inability to score at Stoke. :mrgreen: Sounds like Coppell is a sneaky fecker. :D

This has got me thinking. Coppell and the players have made a big thing, this season of "TEMPO", rushing the throw-ins, never pausing on the ball to look up etc, putting the opposition on the rack without a breather.

Tabb said the Coventry players hated it.

BUT

This sort of attitude is great when the team is rolling-over other teams, but it's a bit headless-chicken (or can easily get that way)

We don't CONTROL the game. It's a bit like jumping out of the trench and blasting with a machine-gun.
The other lot just keep their heads down, and then their sniper pops our bloke.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't play at 100 MPH, but remembering Little, getting the ball, stopping for a fag and a drink while the defenders didn't dare dive in cos they thought they'd be skinned, THEN finally beating a man or passing.

I have no idea what our possession figures are, but mightn't a little more "calm" be a good thing?

Or not?

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 10 Mar 2009 11:32

Competition for places is key.

Coppell didn't seem to feel we had players in the squad ready to offere serious competition for those in the side, or he just didn't want to give them a chance at least, and so these additions are, on face value, excellent.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 10 Mar 2009 11:33

I'm glad Coppell has finally realised Shane Long isn't 'quite' good enough.

Kitson in on loan is great news, albeit surprising after the disruption he partly caused last season.

Still, at this level this is a brilliant signing.

Welcome home. I'll get planning Ginger Day 2. :wink:

455 posts