The non-league thread 2008/9

489 posts
T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

Re: The non-league thread 2008/9

by T.R.O.L.I. » 04 Mar 2009 10:06

Tredder Shocking conditions and a shocking game, turned up at the Beveree, i was soaked thru after about 10 mins, hodgey wasn't even playing, windy cold and wet, unbeaten in 15, i turn up and they lose, i may start a Jonah persona, if you want a team beaten, let me know and i'll support or bet on them.

Wolves and Brum please.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 04 Mar 2009 12:19

Tredder wrote:
Shocking conditions and a shocking game, turned up at the Beveree, i was soaked thru after about 10 mins, hodgey wasn't even playing, windy cold and wet, unbeaten in 15, i turn up and they lose, i may start a Jonah persona, if you want a team beaten, let me know and i'll support or bet on them.

.. my Exiles supporting mate was pretty gobsmacked by that win too -

.. and I got similarly drenched at Scours La last night, wasn't my first choice but as soon as it started pi$$ing down I bottled it (!) and decided to stay 'very local' as opposed to just 'local'.

Lucky I did too: other games that I might have gone to round and about got Abandoned - Cove, Cambo, Henley, Sandhurst.

.... nearly packed it in all together @ HT to join my mates in the Pub - but 'weathered' the storm and saw quite an entertaining game - Town edged it 3-2 against a side that had lost 11 out of 12.

2nd half was ebb and flow (almost literally :wink: ) and fair play to all the players and officials who persevered in atrocious conditions. Made for quite an exciting match and I was glad I stayed.
Mind you the lake in the Town goalmouth, 2nd half, acted like an extra defender on several occasions - but also made it difficult to clear the ball. Town Keeper made a few blinding saves to keep the three points.

After warming up and turning from sodden to soggy in the clubhouse - I sheltered in the Stand, uncomfortably close to Drummer Boy and his 'crew' - some purely ironic moments when they started chanting how few Carterton fans were in attendance - loses some impact when the crowd at best was 25 ! :roll:

Best moment: in the car on the way out of the ground listening to Radio Baaarks announcing the final whistle going at Hillsboro - and finding out that 'There's only one...' 8) had notched the winner!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dodgiest abandonement last night came over at Canvey Island - home side 4-0 down in the last 10 mins vs struggling Margate - floodlight failure! :shock:
The 'Fannit' boys are NOT happy......... :?

Compo's Hat
Hob Nob Regular

by Compo's Hat » 04 Mar 2009 13:20

Tredder Shocking conditions and a shocking game, turned up at the Beveree, i was soaked thru after about 10 mins, hodgey wasn't even playing, windy cold and wet, unbeaten in 15, i turn up and they lose, i may start a Jonah persona, if you want a team beaten, let me know and i'll support or bet on them.

I'm yet to see a Maidenhead win! Think i'm into double figures now!

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 07 Mar 2009 19:16

Result from Scours Lane today was Reading Town 2 Fairford Town 0. I got both of the goals on video and they were both very dodgy refereeing decisions. Both were scored from right wing corners:-

First goal - The ball goes straight in from the corner and the referee sees no foul on the keeper. The embarrassed looking goal appeal by the Reading forward challenging the keeper is a bit of a clue. The goalkeeper's annoyance is entertaining, but he could have been a bit stronger in the challenge.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OxiwGpXIBFw

Second goal - Even more dodgy than the first goal, and from a carbon copy right wing corner. The linesman did "really well" to spot this one had gone over the line.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2rc8X9g1bqc
Last edited by eddiegrundy on 08 Mar 2009 01:07, edited 1 time in total.

Royalist

by Royalist » 07 Mar 2009 19:34

Windsor Beat Thatcham 1-0 in a game we just about shaded but the Wind really made it hard to attack the parkend goal!

However SYCOB beat Truro 2-0 meaning Windsor are 3 points clear with a game in hand and in 2 and a bit weeks an away trip to Truro!! It's all heating up now!!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 07 Mar 2009 20:54

... not so good elsewhere for 'local' non-league ...

Robins lost 1-3 at home to Paulton - now six points adrift - though have a couple of games in hand - below them Winchester were beaten by Cirencester but the two sides above prospered; Andover won again (last minute winner @ Uxbridge) and Taunton got a point @ Cinderford.
Diddy in 5th lost at Totton who move above Truro.

In Reading Town's league the leaders (Hungerford) won 5-2 @ Marlow Utd but 'The Blanketmen' were beaten 1-0 at home by Bicester. The two teams immediately above Town met - Ardley beating the Almonds 2-1.

In the division below there were wins for Ascot, Binfield and Newbury but a surprise home defeat for the Satsumas :? (sorry Wokkers) vs Chinnor.

- In the CONF P@xford shared 6 goals with Forest Green
- In the CONF South the Magpies lost 2-1 at Chelmsford and 'stoke got whupped 5-0 @ Hayes & Yeading who push Maidenhead out of the Play Off spot :cry: - The Beavers scored two in the last 10 mins to beat Eastleigh.

Big congrats to Chalfont St. Peter from the Spartan South Mids Premier - they won their Quarter Final FA Vase replay (6-5 on pens) and now have to play Glossop North End home then away for a chance to go to Wembley against either Whitley Bay or Lowestoft.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 07 Mar 2009 22:26

See, i don't go today and the Beavers score in the 92nd minute to win 2-1, i go, and i break their 15 match unbeaten run :)

Excitement a plenty today with three sendings off (Hampton won this competition 2-1 also) and a cracking injury time winner from Keiran Knight which sent Hampton fans away happy with another three points. Hampton enjoyed the best of the chances in the first half but Yaks and Stuart Lake were guilty of wasting good opportunities. Eastleigh took the lead against the run of play after about 25 mins counter attacking from the break down of a Hampton corner. Fernandes rather dithered over his clearance in midfield and Eastleigh forced the attack down their left flank with the subsequent cross somehow coming off Ryan Lake for an OG. Plenty of full blooded tackles were flying in and a few yellows were showed to both sides. The second half followed the pattern of the first with missed opportunities for Hampton but with 20 mins to go the Eastleigh #4 was sent off for a second yellow after clattering MaCauley. But the man advantage did not yield more chances until 10 mins from time when Quarm stuck a superb low drive from a short corner routine to make it 1-1. The last ten minutes then saw Ryan Lake sent off very harshly in my opinion for a "last man" tackle and then Quarm also earning a second yellow (the first being his goal celebration) for a tackle which looked more like a foul on him (cue howls of protest from Eastleigh fans). So now 9 v 10 with 2 mins of added time to play when Keiran Knight was put through on the left and hit the most exquisite low drive from just inside the box to beat the keeper's despairing dive.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Mar 2009 13:39

Royalist Windsor Beat Thatcham 1-0 in a game we just about shaded but the Wind really made it hard to attack the parkend goal!

However SYCOB beat Truro 2-0 meaning Windsor are 3 points clear with a game in hand and in 2 and a bit weeks an away trip to Truro!! It's all heating up now!!

It took Scott a very long time to push Williams up front to support Chennels didn't it? As soon as he did Williams created the goal with a great flick on. (He's still got a hell of a leap on him hasn't he?!)

(Thatcham's 'keeper wasn't bad a for a titch - he made a couple of outstanding saves!)

Royalist

by Royalist » 09 Mar 2009 17:24

I still think Chenns and Porter is our best strike duo. Willo is great to bring on or play in midfeild mind!

As for Bradley from Eastenders in goal i agree he was good. You tend to find at non-league level short keepers are good and fat keepers are excellent! :D

Rob Bullivent however is fantastic.

eddiegrundy

by eddiegrundy » 09 Mar 2009 18:43

Kidlington v Chalfont Wasps was abandoned on 85 minutes on Saturday with Chalfont leading 2-1. The Referee took objection to comments made by the Kidlington manager and ordered him to leave the ground, which he refused to do, and the referee then abavdoned the game. It will be interesting to see what action the league takes in view of the current Respect campaign. Kiddy are shooting themselves in the foot even more as their match report on their official website has a further pop at the ref. I wouuld expect at least the game to be awarded to Chalfont and a hefty fine for Kiddy.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 09 Mar 2009 19:00

Royalist I still think Chenns and Porter is our best strike duo. Willo is great to bring on or play in midfeild mind!

As for Bradley from Eastenders in goal i agree he was good. You tend to find at non-league level short keepers are good and fat keepers are excellent! :D

Rob Bullivent however is fantastic.

He is very solid...

Royalist

by Royalist » 10 Mar 2009 22:44

Well he went down in Windsor folklore tonight saving the penalty and keeping a clean sheet as we won 1-0 away to maidenhead in the berks and bucks semi final. It was apparently their first XI whilst we rested chennels and our two first choice centerbacks were not playing either. Simply outstanding result for the small band of windsor fans at the game!! :D :D :D

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 11 Mar 2009 09:11

Excellent! Interesting to see that Maidenhead's webmaster obviously has a problem with the result as their Homepage gives the result the other way! http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/maidenheadunited/?

Late goal from Truro got them 3 points last night I see - shame!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 11 Mar 2009 09:45

Royal Rother
Late goal from Truro got them 3 points last night I see - shame!

...but the Robins won away at Gosport - now only three points behind Andover :wink: - Taunton a point higher, play at home tonight vs Totton - Winchester and Sluff both lost .

In the Southern Prem - Farnborough won again away @ Bedford - now 7 points clear of Corby.

In Reading Town's league 2nd place Shortwood lost at home to Witney - they are now 11 points behind Hungerford with only one game in hand.
Highworth won 5-1 away and are now a point behind Town with a game in hand.

...as for Town - they won 4-2 after extra time in the B&B Trophy semi-final and will now meet

contain your excitement.......

Newport Pagnell Town in the Final :lol:

...not sure where or when [provisional date Wed 22nd April] but I bet LDB is giving his 'drum' a good polish!! :shock:

Oh and the Senior Cup Final between Marlow and Windsor will be played at 'Stadium MK' - I think the Final is scheduled for the first May B/H Monday.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
PS Very surprised to see this on the Magpies own site though:-
http://www.pitchero.com/clubs/maidenheadunited/?primary=senior&secondary=teamnews&team_id=6424

... on the (few) occasions I've watched them recently, I thought this lad was a real asset to them - played very much in the manner of our very own Doyler - good in the air & never giving the oppos defence a minutes peace.
Presumably wages are the problem.........hope its not something more serious :?

jocombes

by jocombes » 12 Mar 2009 07:59

Reading Town 4-2 Flackwell Heath 10th March Semi Final Berks & Bucks

Match Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAryzhBN2iM

Match Report

First Half: Reading Town had the first chance in the opening few minutes which saw the ball drilled into the box but unfortunately no one was there to poke it. Shortly afterwards Flackwell had the ball in the back of the net only for it be disallowed. James Clark opened the scoring in the 10th minute when his shot could only be palmed into the back of the net by the keeper. Flackwell did have a half chance in the 23rd minute but some good blocking kept the ball out of the net. Following on from this Flackwell had another chance but this time it hit the side netting. In the 34th minute saw Graham Lewis have a chance to double the lead when he got past the defender but the keeper came rushing out and palmed the ball away for corner kick. Reading Town were then reduced to 10 men just before the break after Duncan Geraldes picked up his second yellow yard after he handled the ball on the far right.

Second Half: Reading Town made a good despite being a man down with Graham Lewis testing the keeper with a header. In the 49th minute saw Graham have another pop at goal which fizzed past the left hand post. Flackwell Heath found the back of the net in the 67th minute but the celebrations were cut short after it was ruled out for offside. Then three minutes later saw Graham Lewis on a surging run down the middle, he then laid it off to James Clark on the left who had only the keeper to beat but his lobbed attempt went over the bar. Flackwell finally found the equalizer in the 75th minute when a free-kick was driven in from the right and a man in green had a shot which was deflected past Chris Grace to make it 1-1. Just minutes before the start of extra time saw Graham Lewis have shot which was cleared off the line.

Extra Time First Half: Flackwell put the Town under pressure early on which saw a high looping ball floating into the box which saw Chris Grace tip over the crossbar. From the resulting corner saw Flackwell score when the striker got to the ball before Chris Grace and he headed into the back of the net to make it 2-1. Flackwell were then awarded a penalty in the 7th minute but the shot skimmed the top of the crossbar to keep the scores at 2-1. In the 14th minute saw Sam Flegg have a go at goal which producing a stunning save from the keeper to tip it over the bar. Soon afterwards another shot from Reading went just a few yards wide.

Extra Time Second Half: Two minutes into the second half saw the Town receive a penalty after a Reading Town player was brought down. Aaron Parfitt stepped up to the penalty spot and blasted it into the bottom right hand corner to make it 2-2. In the 24th minute saw the Town getting closer to establishing the lead when the ball fizzed past the posts. Reading Town then received another penalty after Graham Lewis was brought down in the 26th minute. Same Placement and same result meant Aaron Parfitt got his second goal of the night to make it 3-2 to the Reading boys. Aaron wasn’t finished just yet and he completed his hat-trick in the dying minutes after smashing the ball into the bottom right hand corner to make the final result 4-2 to the Reading boys.

The Town now look forward to playing in the Final of the Berks & Bucks!!!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 12 Mar 2009 12:12

just whisper it...Burton lost again last night, the bookies having already paid out, could they be set for an almighty murking?

time will tellllllllllllllllllllllllllllllllll

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 12 Mar 2009 12:26

... good-ish news for Bracknell last night - Taunton beaten 1-0 at home by Totton - stay 3 pts ahead but now played the same number of games.

Some tricky w/e fixtures :

Taunton host Beaconsfield (currently 4th)
Andover host Totton (now 1st by 1 pt.)
Robins visit Slough
Winchester travel to N.Leigh (mid-table)

- the other 'top' sides W&E (now 3rd on GD) go to mid-table Cirencester Town and Truro (2nd) host Uxbridge who (I think) beat them 5-2 earlier in the season.

Reading Town make the short-ish trip to Abingdon Utd's ground to play 'lodgers' Old Woodstock, who are at the wrong end of the table but are on a good run of 4 wins and a draw in the last 6.

The leaders Hungerford host 2nd place Shortwood, in a game that might prove to be the title decider should the home side win and put more distance between them and the pack. They'd then be 14 points clear with 11 games left.

Hungerford actually lost last night ..... but only after extra time in the Challenge Cup @ Almondsbury.

... oh and finally in the CONF South ..... Magpies host Basingstoke on Saturday whilst the Beavers are up against The Wings (Welling) (there's a non-PC joke in there somewhere ! :shock: )

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 Mar 2009 06:01

Alan Partridge just whisper it...Burton lost again last night, the bookies having already paid out, could they be set for an almighty murking?

Lost again to Salisbury, 1 point from their last 5 games now.

Lead is now down to 5 points after leading by 17-odd at one point in Jan :shock: do have games in hand though

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 15 Mar 2009 09:42

Few odd results amongst the 'local' sides yesterday:-

CONF South: Magpies lost 1-2 at home to 'stoke - maybe my poor memory but I've a feeling this game often goes this way i.e. whoever are the higher club tend to lose whenever they meet.
H&R gubbed 4-0 at Welling :!:

Southern SW:
B'nell get a 0-0 with Sluff
Andover draw with Totton
Taunton & Winchester both lose

... crunch game for the Robins on Tue night; they go to bottom club Winchester.

up at the top W&E lose 3-1 at Cirencester, Truro beat Uxbridge to go 1st, Diddy lose at home but Thatcham win and are only 1 pt off a play off place.

Hellenic
Reading Town flop against lower opposition (again!) losing 2-1 @ Old Woodstock - note the crowd - 14 :roll: - wise groundshare that is then - move 18 miles round the other side of P@xford
The clash at the top: Hungerford vs Shortwood ended 0-0 in front of over 120 odd.
In Div One East two top sides also met, Binfield winning 1-0 at Ascot crowd was 221 !! - and maintaining unbeaten season, now 6 points behind with 5 games in hand - Wokkers could only draw at Holyport and drop down to third.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 15 Mar 2009 11:14

The whole year inn
Alan Partridge just whisper it...Burton lost again last night, the bookies having already paid out, could they be set for an almighty murking?

Lost again to Salisbury, 1 point from their last 5 games now.

Lead is now down to 5 points after leading by 17-odd at one point in Jan :shock: do have games in hand though

Forget Cambridge, the two real possible contenders are the two teams just below them. Especially as the team in 3rd place is yet to play Burton at all this season.

489 posts