LoanWatch for season 2008/2009

650 posts
IcelandicStokie

Re: LoanWatch for season 2008/2009

by IcelandicStokie » 18 Mar 2009 18:28

Gylfi MoM again last night as Crewe drew 1-1 against Bristol Rovers. They are odds on to try and get him permantly in the summer, he never gets a lower rating than an 8 in The Sentinel.

From the Sentinel:
SIGURDSSON: A lively display by the Icelandic youngster, who asked most of Crewe's attacking questions 8.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 18 Mar 2009 18:28

IcelandicStokie Gylfi MoM again last night as Crewe drew 1-1 against Bristol Rovers. They are odds on to try and get him permantly in the summer, he never gets a lower rating than an 8 in The Sentinel.

From the Sentinel:
SIGURDSSON: A lively display by the Icelandic youngster, who asked most of Crewe's attacking questions 8.

I do not believe for one second that we will let him go, regardles of whether or not we go up.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 18 Mar 2009 20:12

winchester_royal
IcelandicStokie Gylfi MoM again last night as Crewe drew 1-1 against Bristol Rovers. They are odds on to try and get him permantly in the summer, he never gets a lower rating than an 8 in The Sentinel.

From the Sentinel:

I do not believe for one second that we will let him go, regardles of whether or not we go up.

'Greed.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 18 Mar 2009 20:49

winchester_royal

From the Sentinel:

I do not believe for one second that we will let him go, regardless of whether or not we go up.

+1. Crewe are a selling club - they can only survive by selling players that they have brought in at little or no expense, training them up, and selling them on at a profit. I can't see us letting Gylfi go cheaply - more likely to arrange a loan to a lower-level Championship club next season, to continue his experience.

IcelandicStokie

by IcelandicStokie » 22 Mar 2009 21:42

Gylfi a class act according to Crewe supporters and their best player against Leeds:
http://www.crewe.vitalfootball.co.uk/ar ... p?a=148314

Pablo

by Pablo » 23 Mar 2009 08:56

IcelandicStokie Gylfi a class act according to Crewe supporters and their best player against Leeds:
http://www.crewe.vitalfootball.co.uk/ar ... p?a=148314

From The Sentinel:
SIGURDSSON: Drove Crewe forward and was always involved 8

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 23 Mar 2009 23:14

Dagenham & Redbridge v Brentford postponed this evening, floodlight failure. It was scheduled to be live on Sky, so it left a bit of a hole in their schedules - as well as denying us the opportunity to see how "our" Brentford boys got on.

Upper West Ginger

by Upper West Ginger » 24 Mar 2009 21:46

Gylfi gets the equaliser (pen) for Crewe as they come back from 2-0 down against MK Dons.
Cox got a hat-trick for the Swine, beating Northampton 4-3. (Yes I know he's not a loanee, but he is ex-Reading).

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 25 Mar 2009 02:48

Upper West Ginger Gylfi gets the equaliser (pen) for Crewe as they come back from 2-0 down against MK Dons.
Cox got a hat-trick for the Swine, beating Northampton 4-3. (Yes I know he's not a loanee, but he is ex-Reading).

That must be 25-odd for Cox this season now.

Great that we got a much needed 200k for him then :|

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 25 Mar 2009 07:58

27 apparently, in a side that is only a few points off the relegation places :shock:

Some of his goals have been real quality too, the sort that make you think he could play at a higher standard

He also scores the little tap ins too though so I bet someone comes in for him in the summer

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 25 Mar 2009 09:36

Southbank Old Boy 27 apparently, in a side that is only a few points off the relegation places :shock:

Some of his goals have been real quality too, the sort that make you think he could play at a higher standard

He also scores the little tap ins too though so I bet someone comes in for him in the summer

3 hat tricks this season as well.

Good job we didn't give him any sort of opportunity here and cashed in while we could.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 25 Mar 2009 10:12

Alan Partridge
Southbank Old Boy 27 apparently, in a side that is only a few points off the relegation places :shock:

3 hat tricks this season as well.

Good job we didn't give him any sort of opportunity here and cashed in while we could.

why the fcuk did we get rid of cox when it arguable that he would be a better 'impact' player than s.long

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 25 Mar 2009 10:28

Why do people persist in the belief that "we got rid of Cox"?

He wanted to leave. He went.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2009 10:39

That Friday Feeling Why do people persist in the belief that "we got rid of Cox"?

That's a little too simplistic a way of looking at it.

You have to ask yourself why he came to the decision to leave. The only answer is because he wasn't getting a chance at a time when he felt, probably rightly in my eyes, that he deserved one.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 25 Mar 2009 10:41

Maybe so but if he'd stayed a few more months and just gone out on loan he'd probably be playing now. But hey it's all been discussed before and is water under the bridge.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Mar 2009 11:48

Hoop Blah
That Friday Feeling Why do people persist in the belief that "we got rid of Cox"?

You have to ask yourself why he came to the decision to leave. The only answer is because he wasn't getting a chance at a time when he felt, probably rightly in my eyes, that he deserved one.

Because we were in the Premiership and he wasn't at the level required for that. He was just coming through at the wrong time and he wanted a permanent move to get first team football. We were involved in a relegation battle and that would not have been the right time to bring him in to the first team.

Now if this had happened a year later he would probably have been involved with the first team nearly every week. It was just unfortunate timing but WE DIDN'T WANT HIM TO LEAVE.

I really don't understand why people have such an issue with this.

Are you saying then that any youngster who wants first team football should just be given it so that they might not leave?

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 25 Mar 2009 11:50

Stranded Maybe so but if he'd stayed a few more months and just gone out on loan he'd probably be playing now. But hey it's all been discussed before and is water under the bridge.

I remember at the time that he didn't want another loan move and he wanted to take his career to a level where he would get regular matches, and that happened to be down two divisions.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 25 Mar 2009 12:00

Hoop Blah

because he was consistently not delivering as much as our other strikers
and believed we would not be relegated, so he was in effect looking at another two years of reserve football.
get over it, its the third tier FFS,
though i expect him to go elsewhere in the summer, would love to see him back, but it just aint going to happen.
he left because he needed to to improve himself, he has improved himself as a result,
if hed not have left he wouldnt be as good a player as he is now IMO

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2009 12:26

Matter of personal opinion, but I think Cox had shown enough to be given more of a chance than he did. As I said the other day, the other forwards had been very goal shy, and then Cox put in possibly the most creative display on the right side of midfield that we saw all season before being dropped from the squad.

I agree with Wycombe that it was partly bad timing but when the rest of our attacking players were misfiring Cox was overlooked and not given any hint that he might get a chance. I can totally understand why he felt the need to go elsewhere at that point in his career.

You often here players talking about loan players not feeling settled or that their careers are not progressing. Cox felt he needed to be a full time part of a set up to progress (and probably look after himself financially) and so moving was his best option.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2009 12:30

brendywendy because he was consistently not delivering as much as our other strikers

last week Hoop Blah Doyle had scored 1 goal in two and a half months
Kitson 4 in 2 months (including the brace in the 6-4 against Spurs)
Lita hadn't scored since August and was clearly on his way out
Long hadn't scored since October

Cox had consistently scored goals whilst out on loan and in the reserves. He still didn't get a sniff of getting in the first team squad.

I know it's passed now, and I agree he might not've developed as well if he'd stayed (part of the reason he decided to leave of course) but I do think he deserved more of a crack whilst he was here.

650 posts