LoanWatch for season 2008/2009

650 posts
brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: LoanWatch for season 2008/2009

by brendywendy » 25 Mar 2009 12:33

Hoop Blah
brendywendy because he was consistently not delivering as much as our other strikers

last week Hoop Blah Doyle had scored 1 goal in two and a half months
Kitson 4 in 2 months (including the brace in the 6-4 against Spurs)
Lita hadn't scored since August and was clearly on his way out
Long hadn't scored since October

Cox had consistently scored goals whilst out on loan and in the reserves. He still didn't get a sniff of getting in the first team squad.

I know it's passed now, and I agree he might not've developed as well if he'd stayed (part of the reason he decided to leave of course) but I do think he deserved more of a crack whilst he was here.

if you take the main comparison point, which would be the next worse striker-long
and compared their records for the reserves, id wager long outscored him by a fair bit
which was why he was 5th choice, and behind long

bootboy

by bootboy » 25 Mar 2009 12:54

That Friday Feeling Why do people persist in the belief that "we got rid of Cox"?

He wanted to leave. He went.

He never wanted to leave just wanted the opportunity to play. He had to leave to get this. Good luck to him has done well. Will play champ next season for sure along with Henry & Karacan who i can see having to follow the same path.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2009 12:57

Although Long probably outscored the other forwards for the reserves too don't forget (and I mean averages not just because he played more). You'd also have to consider that Cox played a fair number of reserve team games in midfield and sepnt a considerable amount of time out on loan.

Reserve team games are not as high a standard as playing first team football in the lower leagues.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 25 Mar 2009 13:02

bootboy
That Friday Feeling Why do people persist in the belief that "we got rid of Cox"?

He wanted to leave. He went.

He never wanted to leave just wanted the opportunity to play. He had to leave to get this. Good luck to him has done well. Will play champ next season for sure along with Henry & Karacan who i can see having to follow the same path.

Or alternatively he didn't have enough confidence in his ability to stay and battle for a place in a Premiership or Championship side so opted to drop down the ladder to a level where he thought he might have a chance. By all accounts the only clubs offering him deals were Swindon and Northampton so his judgement as to where he'd succeed looked about right. Had he backed himself as a better player he would probably have a fair few Championship appearances to his name now like Pearce and Karacan have.

His choice, and he's done well at the level he's gone to. If Swindon go down he will undoubtably move on but no one took a punt on him in January so how highly is he rated by the clubs in the top 2 divisions ?

If we don;t go up then both Henry and Karacan will get their chances, up to them to take them.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2009 13:13

I don't know who else showed an interest in him, but if he was going to leave Reading it was going to have to be for first team football and not just for another battle for a first team spot. There was nothing to be gained by moving to be a squad player at another club.

With his history at Northampton and Swindon that made those two clubs the obvious destinations.

I think he made the right career move, I just think it's a shame that he wasn't given more of a chance here after impressing on loan and in the fleeting chances he got with the first team here. Because of that I think it will always get a reaction out of me when people say he didn't want to stay etc

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Mar 2009 13:20

Hoop Blah I think he made the right career move, I just think it's a shame that he wasn't given more of a chance here after impressing on loan and in the fleeting chances he got with the first team here. Because of that I think it will always get a reaction out of me when people say he didn't want to stay etc

Have to agree with this - just about his only real chance to impress was when he came on as sub in the FA Cup replay - as a right winger(!)

But that was after he'd been at Swindon for a while and obviously enjoyed it.

Playing football >>>>>> being a reserve

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 25 Mar 2009 13:32

Hoop Blah Because of that I think it will always get a reaction out of me when people say he didn't want to stay etc

That's a fair enough reaction, but hopefully you can see why comments that we 'got rid of him' also provoke a reaction.

He made a decision, based on what he thought was best for him. But one of his options was to stay and fight for a place and he either didn't want to, didn't think he was good enough or didn't think it was a fight he would be allowed to win.

Coppell couldn't promise him that he would get games because no manager can do that and it would have been unfair on players who are clearly better players than Cox as well as some where there is less obviously a difference in ability.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 25 Mar 2009 13:42

Sun Tzu
Hoop Blah Because of that I think it will always get a reaction out of me when people say he didn't want to stay etc

That's a fair enough reaction, but hopefully you can see why comments that we 'got rid of him' also provoke a reaction.

Absolutely, but very few of those reactions are backed up with considered opinion or much in the way of facts (not that I'd expect anything more, but they're the posts I will in turn react to).

Even Brendy, who is usually a pretty fair minded poster, comes out with some pretty poor spin on the events around the time about the other forwards performing well blah blah blah...

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 26 Mar 2009 13:02

According to the OS Reading players out on loan have accounted for 40 league goals this season. Impressive in my view. Latest one was Sigurdsson against the MK Dons to make it 2-2.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 26 Mar 2009 14:11

Sodje's gone on loan to Leeds for the rest of the season.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 26 Mar 2009 15:00

Barry the bird boggler Sodje's gone on loan to Leeds for the rest of the season.

will we get a fee?

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 26 Mar 2009 15:10

Gus the teenage cow
Barry the bird boggler Sodje's gone on loan to Leeds for the rest of the season.

will we get a fee?

Maybe or maybe not.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Mar 2009 15:46

Hoop Blah
Sun Tzu

Absolutely, but very few of those reactions are backed up with considered opinion or much in the way of facts (not that I'd expect anything more, but they're the posts I will in turn react to).

Even Brendy, who is usually a pretty fair minded poster, comes out with some pretty poor spin on the events around the time about the other forwards performing well blah blah blah...

not that i truly believe the spin myself, i wanted cox to get more of a chance in that period with us,
im just saying i can see the rationale of the management team in making the decision they did at that time. with hindsight i expect even they will admit it was probably wrong.

however i shall endeavor to improve in future

Hungerford Bee

by Hungerford Bee » 27 Mar 2009 10:16

Ben Hamer wants to be a Bee a bit longer

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.c ... to_return/

Can we keep borrowing him for next season please?

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Mar 2009 10:42

Hungerford Bee Ben Hamer wants to be a Bee a bit longer

http://www.richmondandtwickenhamtimes.c ... to_return/

Can we keep borrowing him for next season please?

Hammer's an interesting example, not rated that highly in the academy, went to Crawley got player of the season and seems to have gone from strength to strength at Brentford.

As for Cox, it's the old Tyson debate. Would he have improved the way he has if he had not left Reading/ Even if we kept loaning him out, I don't think it would have been the same. It's probably been a motivation to him to show what Reading have missed. Would defo take him back if we don't go up, still think there are question marks over his pace at the top level though.
Last edited by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe on 27 Mar 2009 10:57, edited 1 time in total.

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2009 10:46

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Would he have improved the way he has if he had not left Reading.

Now I might be missing something here but he is still a Reading player and we have offered him a new contract.

Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 27 Mar 2009 10:56

Wycombe Royal
Smoking Kills Dancing Doe Would he have improved the way he has if he had not left Reading.

Now I might be missing something here but he is still a Reading player and we have offered him a new contract.

You are missing tha fact I am talking about Cox....

And my poor use of English which I have now edited!!

:wink:

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 27 Mar 2009 11:39

Wycombe Royal

You are missing tha fact I am talking about Cox....

And my poor use of English which I have now edited!!

:wink:

:lol:

Try writing in French. It may make more sense and you get the bonus of annoying Spacey.

Blue Biscuit

Sam Sodje out on loan

by Blue Biscuit » 27 Mar 2009 20:48

Sam Sodje has gone out on loan to Leeds United until the end of the season.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Sam Sodje out on loan

by The 17 Bus » 27 Mar 2009 21:15

as anounced yesterday!!!

650 posts