Negativity - Whats Going ON!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Negativity - Whats Going ON!

by Dirk Gently » 14 Oct 2008 13:46

SpaceCruiser
Dirk Gently the appointment of a manager better suited to the task is the best possible outcome of all.

I'm not fully convinced. I can't see a better manager than Coppell wanting to take up the job.

The key problem is that the loyalty to his players which is one of the reasons he gets players to play so well for him is also the thing that stops him replacing players when their time is up. He realises this but I'm not sure he can change it, as it's part of what he is all about.

And it's a different skillset needed in the PL, so while I agree SC is a great manager I think that another one would have a better chance of keeping us up.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Oct 2008 13:51

Dirk Gently
SpaceCruiser
Dirk Gently the appointment of a manager better suited to the task is the best possible outcome of all.

I'm not fully convinced. I can't see a better manager than Coppell wanting to take up the job.

The key problem is that the loyalty to his players which is one of the reasons he gets players to play so well for him is also the thing that stops him replacing players when their time is up. He realises this but I'm not sure he can change it, as it's part of what he is all about.

And it's a different skillset needed in the PL, so while I agree SC is a great manager I think that another one would have a better chance of keeping us up.

I follow your points but I can't think of who that manager might be.

If we replace Stevie C if we go up with someone less experienced it could mess up our first year back there.

Who would go to us who is experienced? I'd rather have Coppell tbh.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 Oct 2008 13:53

Archie's penalty
Dirk Gently The key problem is that the loyalty to his players which is one of the reasons he gets players to play so well for him is also the thing that stops him replacing players when their time is up. He realises this but I'm not sure he can change it, as it's part of what he is all about.

I follow your points but I can't think of who that manager might be.

I can't name names either - all I know is that we'd need someone objective to come in and look at the players from a fresh, with the PL in mind. There could be plenty of them around, and I'm sure they'd fancy the job.
If we replace Stevie C if we go up with someone less experienced it could mess up our first year back there.

Who would go to us who is experienced? I'd rather have Coppell tbh.

I don't know the names but there are likely to be candidates fighting for the job. AT the very least, we need someone from the outside to come in and cast an objective eye over the players and decide who to kep and who to replace - SC himself says he's unable to do this because of loyalty to "his" players.
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 14 Oct 2008 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 14 Oct 2008 13:59

I just can't see someone having the integrity and intelligence of Coppell to take us forward.

It will be strange having someone else in charge no matter what happens. I've become so used to Coppellian intelligent introspection that no-one else will ever come close to the guy. It's so great to have a thoughtful manager.

My brother is a Blackburn fan and I think they are having problems coming to terms with the loss of Hughes. It just shows how important a manager is to a club...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Oct 2008 15:36

Dirk Gently
SpaceCruiser

though he has made a little progress in that this season, seems much more able to make the big decisions, at an earlier stage, IMO

and surely its the second seaosn we need to worry about, not the 1st!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 14 Oct 2008 16:54

I think first and foremost we need the ownership of the club sorting out once and for all.

Either we're going to have JM and his frugal approach with which SC generally seems excellent at getting results or we could have some megabucks money no object type which may be at odds with the way SC works and so require a complete change of management team.

chandog

by chandog » 14 Oct 2008 17:15

i think there is this "negativity" over players futures at the moment because there has already been a lot of interest in some of them
doyle - villa
Shunt - sunderland/everton
harper - boro
and at the moment doyle and shunt are playing very well and it seems inevitable that there will be offers for them in january and they will be allowed to go. coppell has said he will not stop players going and madejski is happy to receive the money

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 14 Oct 2008 17:21

It's what HNA? is famous for.
Unprecedented negativity. :twisted:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Oct 2008 17:27

SteveRoyal It's what HNA? is famous for.

if itsfamous, then surely there is already precedent

Platypuss
Hob Nob Moderator
Location: No one cares about your creative hub, so get your fukcin' hedge cut

by Platypuss » 14 Oct 2008 17:36

brendywendy

if itsfamous, then surely there is already precedent

Indeed. I would have hoped it was a whoosh for you, but I fear not.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 14 Oct 2008 17:46

i did wonder

but thought id just go for it

what the hell

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 14 Oct 2008 22:32

ive noticed :lol:

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 07 Apr 2009 18:27

Maybe this thread deserves digging back up?

Just ignore:
SLAMMED Were doing well, were scoring goals and winning games, so why is every thread i read about us so negative.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 07 Apr 2009 19:10

SLAMMED Maybe this thread deserves digging back up?

In which case, can it be noted by all that I was saying in the middle of October that this'll be SC's last season?
Last edited by Dirk Gently on 07 Apr 2009 22:41, edited 1 time in total.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 07 Apr 2009 19:11

Not so sure that there is negativity but there certainly is a lot of reality checking going on. 05/06 was special and never to be repeated. But 05/06 IS consigned to history.

The reality of the last 3.5 months has been that the quality of the product is not to the standard that we have become accustomed to. What we are experiencing is the reality that if we fail to gain promotion back to the satan that is Sky, the best of what is left will leave resulting in a much weaker playing squad.

What does not help is that many of us have seen this all before after the play off defeat to Bolton. The heart of the club was sold on. There are also many similarities to the way that the 04/05 season petered out. 13 or so games without a win was halted with a Dave Kitson inspired 3-0 trouncing of west ham. Will there be similar on Friday?

I think there lies the problem. We have seen it all before and we don't like the taste. There will always be at least two camps. The first which follows the propaganda spewing out from the Mad Stad and demanding that everyone believe in that particular gospel. The second camp covers those that can see through the rhetoric that is the Emperor's New Clothes. Both camps are right; conversely, both camps are wrong!

Fact is, football is supposed to be a game. I think the time is right to reclaim it and at the same time learn to live with the higher level of expectation that we have acquired.

Best of all is that there are very few topics in the world that arouses passion as much as football. Everyone has an opinion. That's why people watch games then "retire for a pint so that they can voice their opinion with other, like minded souls. It is what we do! Embrace it and enjoy yet remembering that, when all is said and done, it is still a game.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 07 Apr 2009 19:15

Dirk Gently

In which case, can it be noted by all that I was saying in the middle of October that this'll be SC's last season?

Dont count your chickens...

statto

by statto » 07 Apr 2009 22:31

1) Coppell has publically stated he could do with a break and his contract is up at the end of the season. If we get promoted he may stay, otherwise he's almost certainly gone. It's realism. It's not a particularly good thing, nor is it a hugely bad thing, provided we get a decent successor.

Once again, totally unfounded. "almost certainly gone" how the oxf*rd do you know? Are you close friends?

It really bugs me when people make things up and present them as fact or "realism".

It's not realism, it's assumption, it's speculation, it's more than likely oxf*rd nonsense.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 07 Apr 2009 22:32

HNA? only has extreme feelings. There are never any neutral opinions.
It's either "We're the best ever!" or "We're going to die!". Nothing in between.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 08 Apr 2009 00:35

SteveRoyal HNA? only has extreme feelings. There are never any neutral opinions.
It's either "We're the best ever!" or "We're going to die!". Nothing in between.

Im inbetween. I dont think we are going to miss out on playoffs nor do i think we will win the league.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 08 Apr 2009 10:15

Dirk Gently

You may be right but SC has said recently that he's happy to stay at the club but won't discuss any contract until the season is up.