The non-league thread 2008/9

489 posts
Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The non-league thread 2008/9

by Tredder » 06 Apr 2009 13:11

Here's the rub, i defo want to go as its probably, baring the play off final last year, the biggest game in their history, cos should they win tonight then it's all on that game, but Hodgey has specifically told me not to come to another home game this season, so unless i dont tell him, i think it may just be the maiders game and then the play off away game.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 06 Apr 2009 20:50

Looks like it doesn't matter if i go or not, Beavers losing 2-0 at half time.

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 08 Apr 2009 10:46

... the usual mixed bag from last nights' games:

CONF-S.. not a lot happening - apart from Beavers eventual 2-3 reverse on Mon - which has pleased AFCW fans no doubt
- Hayes & Y won big v WSM.

Three of the top sides play at home on Friday
- AFC Wombles vs 'stoke
- Chelmsford vs StAlebuns
- Eastleigh vs Bromley

CONF National
Woking still in deep s£$t losing 2-0 @ Northwich V
P@xford drew 0-0 @ York - still 5 pts behind Kiddy (last PO spot) and have played two games more - Kiddy had 2 players sent off but drew 2-2 @ FGR .
Kiddy play again tomorrow night at My@rse.com or whatever they call themselves - used to be Gravesend 8 Northfleet :P
Our 'friends' from the 'three-side' :wink: Stadium host Wrexham on Sat then travel to Woking on Monday.

SOUTHERN ONE SW
- Bracknell surprisingly won 2-1 @ AFC Hayes :) to hop above Taunton and Winchester and (momentarily perhaps) out of the relegation spots. They have to play again tomorrow (Thu) night down at Bridgwater.
Sluff & Diddy could help the Robins out on Sat when they host Taunton/Winchester
- W&E flopped 0-2 @ Abingdon U whilst Truro spanked Thatcham 5-0 @ Waterside Pk - to open up a 10 point gap at the top.
POs look beyond Thatcham now 8 pts behind 5 games left.

Hellenic Prem
RG Town ripped up the form book and whacked Highworth 6-1 @ Scours - leaders Hungerford won 1-0 vs Abingdon T to go back to 6pts clear.
Plenty of goals elsewhere in this division last night - 25 in 6 matches
- and I chose a 2-1 to go to. :roll:

Hellenic One East
- Binfield go top winning 2-1 @ Rayners La
- Ascot held by Finch now 2nd
- Wokkers (3rd) thrash Prestwood 6-0
- Newbury (4th) win 2-0 @ Chinnor
- Henley (5th but 11 pts behind Newbury) held by Thame

FA Vase dream over :cry:
... finally sad news from Saturday - Chalfont St Peter went out of the Vase at the semi-final stage - drew 2-2 aet @ Glossop and lost 5-6 on pens.
Glossops equalizer came in the THIRD :shock: minute of injury time after extra time.
I s'pose they can 'concentrate on the league' now - only 13 pts behind the leaders with FIVE games in hand - so they'll be playing Sat >Tue >Thu >Sat from now on in. :?

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 08 Apr 2009 13:24

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 08 Apr 2009 15:25

Ginger Ninjas Anyone fancy a football club? For £1?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/salisbury/7989570.stm

I think that there are a few on the Team board who would be interested. Would make a change from them telling Madejski how to spend his money; they can just spend their own!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 08 Apr 2009 16:01

Ginger Ninjas Anyone fancy a football club? For £1?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/salisbury/7989570.stm

And inherit the massive debt that goes with it.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 09 Apr 2009 12:52

Blue Square South side Team Bath are to resign from the Football Conference at the end of the season.

The constitution of the university club does not fall within Conference regulations and as a result they are barred from winning promotion.

"The Conference's decision means the club has gone as far as it can go without making significant changes to its structure," said manager Ged Roddy.

The club has also had to give up its membership of FA Cup competitions.

Team Bath were the first university side to reach the first round of the FA Cup in 122 years in 2002 and have matched that achievement twice more since.

They are currently ninth in the Blue Square South having won promotion to the second tier of non-league football last season and face Twerton Park landlords Bath City on Saturday.

Roddy added: "Team Bath has been an ambitious club and our long-term goal has always been to secure a place in the Football League.

"Unfortunately the Blue Square Conference said that no further promotions would be possible, thereby denying us the opportunity to progress.

"Our dream has always been to promote a student football team into the Football League."

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 09 Apr 2009 12:59

FC United's late charge up the table leaves them in 4th place with a few games left. Sides below have games in hand so should be an exciting end to the season seeing if FCUM can get a playoff spot.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 09 Apr 2009 13:02

FC United's remaining 3 fixtures are against 3rd, 2nd and 6th in the league. Going to be a tight finish.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 09 Apr 2009 14:47

Lee Newman left Maiders a few weeks ago for 'personal reasons'.

Just been sent down for 4.5 years for drug dealing :shock:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... caine.html

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

by Jerry St Clair » 09 Apr 2009 20:16

Normally, I hate to see football clubs punished by league rules.

But for Team Bath I make an exception. Funded by the taxpayer and with no fans, they are a hideous club. Good riddance.

Victor Meldrew
Hob Nob Addict

by Victor Meldrew » 10 Apr 2009 11:50

Poole Town are still going strong down here-the shame is that they will finish the season with one of the all-time best records but won't get promoted because of the ground facility not being up to scratch.
What a downer for the manager of a club that has reached the magic (for us) 106 points from 36 games having won 35 and drawn one and a goal difference of 98-he will probably lose a few of the better players who want to play at a higher level.
To think that little clubs like these can't get promoted because of the state of the ground and yet (comparatively) mega-rich clubs like ours play a game 24 hours after rugby oafs have been carving our pitch up-do we really want promotion and do we really need the money that London Irish provide?

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 10 Apr 2009 15:15

Poole Town are still going strong down here-the shame is that they will finish the season with one of the all-time best records but won't get promoted because of the ground facility not being up to scratch.

... yup - just had a glance at the Poole Forum and the FA have officially rejected Poole Town's application for promotion because they have failed the grading inspection - they don't have a permanent fence in place seperating the ground from the rest of Branksome Rec.

I think its part of the agreement with the council, that they can use the ground but must take the barriers down after each game - so they are stuffed.

Supreme irony would be if, despite Poole's tremendous record this season, 2nd place VTFC 20 points behind - DO get promotion.

The two meet this PM - could be feisty! :wink:

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 13 Apr 2009 19:41

W&E lost at home to Uxbridge 2-1 - even 2nd place (with the home advantage that brings in the play offs) is looking dodgy now as AFC Totton, who won 5-0 away at Burnham, are now 2 points ahead with only 1 game more played.

Reading at W&E have both lost form and confidnce at the same time - it's been a disappointing few weeks that's for sure.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 13 Apr 2009 19:47

AFC Wimbledon draw 2-2 leaving them 3 points ahead of H&R with 2 left to play, next up is H&R!

Four Of Clubs
Hob Nob Regular

by Four Of Clubs » 13 Apr 2009 22:10

... well this weekends' Southern One SW results at the bottom has probably reduced the relegation battle to three teams, with Robins just hanging on to safety by ONE GOAL in the GD column!

Bracknell were thumped 3-0 at Bridgwater on Thursday, were beaten 1-2 by Beaconsfield on Sat and didn't play today.

However Andover won 2-1 @ Winchester and Taunton lost 3-1 at home to Truro.

Andover could ensure safety with a point at home to Cirencester on Thursday.

Bracknell also play Cirencester on Sat 18th, Winchester host Uxbridge whilst Taunton go to North Leigh.

In the SOUTHERN Premier after leading for almost the whole season Farnboro lost top spot (to Corby) after 0-1 defeat at Bashley.

Elsewhere in the CONF South 'stoke drew 2-2 with H&W cannot now be caught by Furrock who will probably be safe too with Team Baah dropping out altogether - Magpies win 2-1 @ StAlebuns.

In the Hellenic Premier: Reading Town continue winning ways 1-0 vs Abingdon Town.
Other season-long leaders Hungerford, surprisingly now down in third overhauled by both Shortwood - who beat them 2-1 on Sat in front of a crowd of 216 won today vs Hook Norton 4-2 - and by Almonds who won 3-0 at Chalfont Wasps having beaten relegation threatened Milton 1-0 on Sat.
Hungerford do have games in hand but can't be in good mental state having had a big lead evaporate. Huge game at Scours on Thursday when Hungerford are the visitors - Hungerford also go to Kidlington tomorrow night.

In Div One East top two (Binfield & Ascot) both won Sat and Monday - Wokkers in third at the moment but they lost to Finch 2-0 this PM and are likely to lose third slot to Newbury who are on a very good run (only dropped 6 points since November 10 wins and 3 draws) are 1 pt behind and have 2 games in hand - finish the season hosting Binfield but - though their other four games are away - they are up against four pretty poor sides.
Wokkers have to play at Henley and Ascot then finish off at home to Englefield Green.

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 14 Apr 2009 10:14

soggy biscuit AFC Wimbledon draw 2-2 leaving them 3 points ahead of H&R with 2 left to play, next up is H&R!

I could hear this from NSML! towers yesterday, anyone got the scorers and times? Reason I ask is that I assumed the Don's had won and gotten promotion after the roar at about ten to five.

Tredder
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Tredder » 14 Apr 2009 10:21

They scored in the 89th minute to go 2-1 up and the Beavers had drawn 0-0, so it kind of meant that AFCW were as good as up, but a few seconds later one of the brommers players goes down and play is stopped, player gets taken off and the drop ball results in a Brommers player kicking the ball back to the AFCW keeper and it bounced over his head and in, AFCW go mental and ask to be able to walk the ball in to get their advantage back, Brommers players state that they did the gentlemanly thing and it was not their fault if the keeper made a hash of it, so some players agree while a few dont and AFCW take the kick off and one of the Brommers players tackles a womble, hoofs the ball out and the ref blows for FT.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 14 Apr 2009 10:21

Nick Shorey my Lord!
soggy biscuit AFC Wimbledon draw 2-2 leaving them 3 points ahead of H&R with 2 left to play, next up is H&R!

I could hear this from NSML! towers yesterday, anyone got the scorers and times? Reason I ask is that I assumed the Don's had won and gotten promotion after the roar at about ten to five.

This game ended controversially.

Wimbers 2-1 up into stoppage time, man down injured so they punt it out. Bromley go to kick it back to them and the ball sails over the keepers head and in!! 2-2, goal has to be awarded. Wimbledon went berserk and wanted to be able to walk through unchallenged to go in front but they didn't have any of it. So 2-2 final score.

It's still in their hands, they can even lose next week at Hampton as long as they win against St albans at home on the last game as their goal difference is over 10 better than Hampton's.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 14 Apr 2009 10:31

I shall be at Maiders v Hampton last game so hopefully it will go to the wire.

You have to laugh at the Bromley goal though. :lol: There's no way they should have given the goal back.

489 posts