Blackpool V Reading Match Thread sponsored by Jem Karacan

223 posts
Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Blackpool V Reading Match Thread sponsored by Jem Karacan

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2009 19:16

cmonurz
howser We have the ultimate dilemma here, we play a more energetic and athletic midfield, but in doing so we are giving ourselves less rear cover without the more defensive line ups of late, and we look very suspect defensively. Needed reliable confident defenders earlier on this year but that has now passed us by and we are the vicitms of our own reluctance to invest.

We have been the victims of our own reluctance to invest since the start of 07/08.

No.

We've been the victims of STEVE COPPELL's reluctance to spend the money allocated by the Chairman for the last 2 seasons to strengthen the squad, along with his mission to sideline every young player that he can.

And, sadly, we have too many supporters like "nice but dim" Frank from Tilehurst who is so far up Coppell's backside that he phoned Radio Berks this afternoon to blame the Chairman because the manager refuses to spend money if it threatens the places of favorites like Shorey.

Blame the players, blame the Chairman, blame the pitch but its never Coppell's fault.

I'm seriously tempted to support Swansea for the rest of the season as they look like favorites to bring our God aweful season to an early conclusion.

Whilst I didn't go today, over the last few matches it has struck me that most of our players look like I feel, in that they can't wait for it to be over.....................and losing a 2-0 lead did that cause no harm at all....................we have a choice, they don't, and boy does it show.

Would this be a good time to start a book on when the first Coppell fan pitches a tent in his parking space :|

I wonder if that first camper will be somone called Deller from Radio Berks. 3 hours of the "We love Steve Show" this afternoon is the only reason I muster for sitting in my seat next Saturday.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 Apr 2009 19:34

Sadly, I have never been aware of what money is allocated by the Chairman for a transfer kitty, I for one didnt realise that it was public knowledge ??, however, we have always heard Coppell say that there is money available, but we all know what Sir JM thinks about the monies in football for transfers and wages etc............so what the actual cause of us failing to buy players I dont know, but Sir JM and Hammond will be around the root cause somewhere, this abject failure to build on our first Premier season succes is very much the blame of all three,
financial stranglehold, put down from the chairman, applied by Hammond and Coppell's now well known "loyalty" crap has all assisted to our demise, as well as some, pretty barely average, signings all with the same basic attraction for Reading cheap and cheerful. Sadly as long as we maintain the present financial plan over the next few seasons then we will never be back in the top league....coz the boss men dont want financial pressure it brings with it.
Last edited by howser on 13 Apr 2009 19:46, edited 1 time in total.

Berry

by Berry » 13 Apr 2009 19:45

Bring back Uri Geller and his "We must believe" Mantra at least we get entertained. Barnsley must already be looking forward to Championship football next season and Ive heard that Martinez has cancelled all Swansea leave and bought an A to Z of London.
All I can say after today is get rid of Kebe, Shunt, Doobs, USA, Matey, Cisse, Harper in fact all apart from the new "Breed" of Reading players, you know who you are.
Send Kitson back to Sainsburys and Little im sure could do a stage tour of Mutiny on the Buses, he started today in Blackpool :shock:

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2009 19:47

howser Sadly as long as we maintain the present financial plan over the next few seasons then we will never be back in the top league....coz the boss men dont want financial pressure it brings with it.
which is where FA and the likes of Sky TV have led us.

Just drop down a league or two, and count the amount of players who will be contractless in a few weeks time.........ultimately, count the fans who may end up clubless.

We remain relatively well positioned............still, ......in this day and age, it's not good enough.

A question to the "saged" ones like Mr Woodcote, does Steve Coppell actually recieve a commission for "money not spent" from the player budget or something?

Everybody seems to be obsessed with his lack of ability to spend the Chairmans generous appointed budget.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 Apr 2009 19:52

tbh i dont think it is a case of SSC not spending plenty of money at his disposal but more a case of him covering madejski for giving a lack of funds to invest in QUALITY players.

Harewood on loan > Kitson on loan

Scott Sinclair, Bouazza on loan > Little on loan

(in terms of prem aspirations)

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2009 19:54

howser Sadly, I have never been aware of what money is allocated by the Chairman for a transfer kitty, I for one didnt realise that it was public knowledge ??, however, we have always heard Coppell say that there is money available, but we all know what Sir JM thinks about the monies in football for transfers and wages etc............so what the actual cause of us failing to buy players I dont know, but Sir JM and Hammond will be around the root cause somewhere, this abject failure to build on our first Premier season succes is very much the blame of all three,
financial stranglehold, put down from the chairman, applied by Hammond and Coppell's now well known "loyalty" crap has all assisted to our demise, as well as some, pretty barely average, signings all with the same basic attraction for Reading cheap and cheerful. Sadly as long as we maintain the present financial plan over the next few seasons then we will never be back in the top league....coz the boss men dont want financial pressure it brings with it.

Is your name Frank by any chance?

There has never been a time in the last 3 years when when either manager or Chairman has said that no money is available for investing in the squad.

Whenever the manager or Chairman has been asked about our financial situation in this period, both have always confirmed that money has been available to invest in the squad.

We spent £2m plus on both Halford and Fae and it's also common knowledge that 2 bids in excess of £4m were made for players, both being turned down.

Furthermore, there have been several occasions in the last 3 years when our manager has stated that, despite funds being available to him, he has been happy with the squad that he's got YET, there is still no shortage of "Franks" who never find fault in Coppell but blame JM for our lack of signings.

Is it also JM's fault that his manager has managed to drop all the young players he has been forced to pick at times this season despite ALL of them doing well when given the chance?

Is it JM's fault that Henry is out on loan whilst we have loaned in the now largely "legless" Glen Little?
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 13 Apr 2009 20:24, edited 1 time in total.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2009 20:05

AthleticoSpizz A question to the "saged" ones like Mr Woodcote, does Steve Coppell actually receive a commission for "money not spent" from the player budget or something?

Everybody seems to be obsessed with his lack of ability to spend the Chairman's generous appointed budget.

Coppell is known to be frugal and doesn't like big squads.

He also has favourites who can play badly for months without being dropped and many of his signings appear to be squad acquisitions as opposed to potential first teamers.

If I'm obsessed by Coppell's budget, it's only because so many blame the Chairman for being tight when the manager doesn't spend what he's given.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 13 Apr 2009 20:27, edited 1 time in total.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Apr 2009 20:09

Luckily today Karacan and N Hunt returned to the side, and a 2-0 lead was quickly built, but still it was not enough, get Henry back, all will then be fine. woodcote is running out of options!!!

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2009 20:11

loyalroyal4life tbh i dont think it is a case of SSC not spending plenty of money at his disposal but more a case of him covering madejski for giving a lack of funds to invest in QUALITY players.

When all the evidence points to the contrary and, of course, if the opposite was true Coppell would have to take a large slice of the blame for the last 2 seasons and we couldn't have that, could we :|

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Apr 2009 20:14

Is it not true that Pardew walked out on RFC because he did not think JM had the balls to back him to build a prem team, was he not told he could buy upson, but the fee and wages he was told he could offer were so low that he would never sign.

JM has been screwed so badly in the past, mostly by TB2, that he is probably terrified of losing big money again, yet had we got Upson for what Pardew said we could we would have made a multi million profit on him not long after.

That is why Pardew told coppell to go for the job, he can unearth diamonds from the lower leagues, increase values and build, but it takes time. And now we have run out of time, and diamonds.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2009 20:14

Woodcote Royal
AthleticoSpizz A question to the "saged" ones like Mr Woodcote, does Steve Coppell actually receive a commission for "money not spent" from the player budget or something?

Everybody seems to be obsessed with his lack of ability to spend the Chairman's generous appointed budget.

Coppell is known to be frugal and doesn't like big squads.

He also has favourites who can play badly for months without being dropped and many of his signings appear to be squad acquisitions as opposed to potential first teamers.

I'm obsessed by Coppell's budget, it's only because so many blame the Chairman for being tight when the manager doesn't spend what he's given.
If you are on about S Hunt ( a lad we both championed a few seasons ago whilst most slagged him down), then I don't know what you are on about :wink: ....agree on that one.

Copps not liking big squads?.....have you looked at our programme inside back page recently?

So its agreed then, Coppell gets a commission on unspent money.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2009 20:18

The 17 Bus That is why Pardew told coppell to go for the job, he can unearth diamonds from the lower leagues, increase values and build, but it takes time. And now we have run out of time, and diamonds.
disagree

We have plenty of diamonds....all maturing into a Debeers collection, via the loan system and the lower leagues.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2009 20:19

The 17 Bus Luckily today Karacan and N Hunt returned to the side, and a 2-0 lead was quickly built, but still it was not enough, get Henry back, all will then be fine. woodcote is running out of options!!!

So, I guess we're looking for a common denominator.

We have had the same manager for over 5 years and whatever team he picks from the squad he has assembled in that time has managed just 4 wins from the last 18? games to go with last seasons totally avoidable relegation.

Do we

(A) Select a random NCP Car park attendant and have him hung drawn and quartered

(B) Point the finger at the current manager of RFC

I'm guessing that if I turned this into a poll that "A" would win by a distance.............
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 13 Apr 2009 20:20, edited 2 times in total.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Apr 2009 20:19

AthleticoSpizz
The 17 Bus That is why Pardew told coppell to go for the job, he can unearth diamonds from the lower leagues, increase values and build, but it takes time. And now we have run out of time, and diamonds.
disagree

We have plenty of diamonds....all maturing into a Debeers collection, via the loan system and the lower leagues.

They are home grown diamonds, i am thinking the Sonks, doyle and hunts that he has brought in.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Apr 2009 20:23

Woodcote Royal
The 17 Bus Luckily today Karacan and N Hunt returned to the side, and a 2-0 lead was quickly built, but still it was not enough, get Henry back, all will then be fine. woodcote is running out of options!!!

We have had the same manager for over 5 years and whatever team he picks from the squad he has assembled in that time has managed just 4 wins from the last 18? games to go with last seasons totally avoidable relegation.

Do we

(A) Select a random NCP Car park attendant and have him hung drawn and quartered

I'm guessing that if I turned this into a poll that "A" would win by a distance.............

I have to agree, it should really have been Fulham that went down last season not us, in fact they were so crap that it was obvious that this season they were bound to go down, hang on they are now 8th, and wih much the same squad that should have gone down. mUst be a confidence thing, they have it, we dont, at this moment in time.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2009 20:25

The 17 Bus
AthleticoSpizz
disagree

They are home grown diamonds, i am thinking the Sonks, doyle and hunts that he has brought in.
Ex bloddy actly, whilst we are still in with a shout of promotion (via Wembley) with the players we have got, the next wave will "increase values and build" (your own words)..........and I cannot wait to see them do that next season.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 13 Apr 2009 20:36

Your glass flows over Mr Spizz, as it should be with a football fan, rather than looking to get shot of all and sundry, and lay blame, when in all reality we know feck all about how football management really works.

His fault, get shot, the new man will do fine, ask QPR how that works!! And countless others.

I can see a new manager next season, but would love to see Coppell stay at the club in a senior capacity.

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 Apr 2009 20:37

The 17 Bus
Woodcote Royal

Do we

I have to agree, it should really have been Fulham that went down last season not us, in fact they were so crap that it was obvious that this season they were bound to go down, hang on they are now 8th, and wih much the same squad that should have gone down. mUst be a confidence thing, they have it, we dont, at this moment in time.

I guess it depends just how desperate you are to blame anyone but Steve Coppell for our failures of the last 2 seasons.

Back on planet Earth. Fulham looked doomed until they replaced their manager and they haven't looked back since.

And, also back on planet earth, those who don't think the sun shines out of Coppell's back side are wondering where we might be had we done the same.
Last edited by Woodcote Royal on 13 Apr 2009 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 13 Apr 2009 20:40

The 17 Bus Your glass flows over Mr Spizz, as it should be with a football fan, rather than looking to get shot of all and sundry, and lay blame, when in all reality we know feck all about how football management really works.

His fault, get shot, the new man will do fine, ask QPR how that works!! And countless others.

I can see a new manager next season, but would love to see Coppell stay at the club in a senior capacity.
I would like to see Steve Coppell as manager

(failing that Brendan Rodgers or any ex QPR one)

Smoking Kills Dancing Doe
Hob Nob Regular

by Smoking Kills Dancing Doe » 13 Apr 2009 20:49

I think people are blind to Coppell's achievements through frustration.

Thrown away a place in the Premiership.

Thrown away automatic promotion.

Does anyone really fancy us in the play offs? The player seem to have no confidence.

Things are not all that bad in context. Just they should be better with the posistions that we have been in.

223 posts