Back from the game - Blackpool

Jerry St Clair
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Back from the game - Blackpool

by Jerry St Clair » 15 Apr 2009 12:59

Huntley & Palmer Long - Ran all day but his lack of first touch meant that he struggled to beat the defender when presented with an opportunity to strip them for pace (6/10)

Doubly frustrating during the second half when Blackpool's central defender (No.15?) was clearly injured and was ripe for a roasting with any pace that might head his way.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 15 Apr 2009 13:04

Huntley & Palmer Kelly - Probably harming his progress at the moment, he doesn't need to be in the pressure cooker that is our current situation. Low confidence, very nervous and physically unable to hold his ground defensively. His first time balls in particular are of poor quality, I lost count of how many times it pinged off his foot into the crowd. His performance was saved by the cross for the second goal (6/10)

On reflection, I agree with this - I probably overstated Julian's performance in my summary because of the cross for the first goal and the fact that he was no worse than the other defenders. But you're right, a somewhat nervy performance in places.

Agree with all your other comments, which broadly are in line with my initial thoughts given on this thread.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Apr 2009 17:37

Huntley & Palmer Kitson - No idea why he is back here, would have been better off with Lita or Doyle or even Mooney recalled if possible. Doesn't look interested, doesn't put himself about and seems unlikely to win much in the air when he bothers to jump for it. (5/10)

I know what you mean about often not looking up for it. He seems more content to sulk when he doesn't win the ball or someone doesn't pass to him properly these days.

The rest I can't understand though. He was wining loads in the air against Sheff in the previous game and the commentators kept going on about his arial dominance.

Thanks for the Karacan review though. I'm liking the sounds of him. I'm still fond of the idea of a 3 man midfield given the lack of a real ball winner who is also capable of passing, but him, Tabb and Matejovsky sound like they could possibly work as 3 from recent comments and clips.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 Apr 2009 17:45

Ian Royal Thanks for the Karacan review though. I'm liking the sounds of him. I'm still fond of the idea of a 3 man midfield given the lack of a real ball winner who is also capable of passing, but him, Tabb and Matejovsky sound like they could possibly work as 3 from recent comments and clips.

Karacan and Harper with Matejovsky infront of them would be my choice.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we have the centre forward to really make it work and I'm not convinced Matejovsky has the performance in him to make it worthwhile at the moment.

If we get a new manager in who favours that kind of system those three would be the way forward with a powerful and pacey forward and Henry/new signing on the right and a new boy on the left.

It's a bit late to make it work this season though.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Apr 2009 17:49

Hoop Blah
Ian Royal Thanks for the Karacan review though. I'm liking the sounds of him. I'm still fond of the idea of a 3 man midfield given the lack of a real ball winner who is also capable of passing, but him, Tabb and Matejovsky sound like they could possibly work as 3 from recent comments and clips.

Karacan and Harper with Matejovsky infront of them would be my choice.

Unfortunately I'm not sure we have the centre forward to really make it work and I'm not convinced Matejovsky has the performance in him to make it worthwhile at the moment.

If we get a new manager in who favours that kind of system those three would be the way forward with a powerful and pacey forward and Henry/new signing on the right and a new boy on the left.

It's a bit late to make it work this season though.

Not somethig for this season really I agree, but that's because I've written this season off. Next season we'll be needing a few new strikers with Doyle inevitably off, Lita out of contract and hopefully gone and Long given the boot as well.

I think we actually have some pretty decent midfielders available, just not the ones to really work a 4-4-2. Harper & Matejovsky I think both suit 3 better and Tabb, Karacan and Cisse could all contribute well in there. 5 Central midfielders of decent quality in a system that works for them, should be enough.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 Apr 2009 20:20

I bet someone will see the worth of Matejovsky and he'll be gone in the close season. :cry:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 Apr 2009 23:13

Royal Lady I bet someone will see the worth of Matejovsky and he'll be gone in the close season. :cry:

No real need to borrow trouble there. And even if he does go he hasn't set the world alight here. He's looked good but not produced enough. We've got a fair few decent midfielders he's a great asset but very very far from irreplaceable.

Billy The Fish

by Billy The Fish » 15 Apr 2009 23:37

brendywendy To me the most significant thing was Steve Coppell coming over to wave to the fans - looked like a "goodbye" to me. Has he done that before?

I thought that as well, his demeanour reminded me of after Derby last year when he thought he was definitely going. Is it possible that he thinks, well I just don't know how to fix this, perhaps it's time for me to step aside and they can get a new man in with 4 games to go to motivate the players and maybe somehow get some momentum back and go up via the play-offs.

Because he's tried virtually every combination he can. And I can't see a better situation coming up than being 2-0 up at Blackpool to get the confidence back. I thought we'd go on and win by 4 or more and it just didn't happen.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 16 Apr 2009 09:23

Royal Lady I bet someone will see the worth of Matejovsky and he'll be gone in the close season. :cry:

Prague's second most popular brothel?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 16 Apr 2009 09:43

Billy The Fish
brendywendy To me the most significant thing was Steve Coppell coming over to wave to the fans - looked like a "goodbye" to me. Has he done that before?

I thought that as well, his demeanour reminded me of after Derby last year when he thought he was definitely going. Is it possible that he thinks, well I just don't know how to fix this, perhaps it's time for me to step aside and they can get a new man in with 4 games to go to motivate the players and maybe somehow get some momentum back and go up via the play-offs.

Because he's tried virtually every combination he can. And I can't see a better situation coming up than being 2-0 up at Blackpool to get the confidence back. I thought we'd go on and win by 4 or more and it just didn't happen.

I wasnt' there monday but I would say it's more likely that because it's the furthest trip of the season, over a bank holiday as well,and bearing in mind the 2nd half showing I reckon Coppell just went over to say thanks to the fans for going. He does it now and again,pretty sure he did it up at NEwcastle the other year, saved for the long haul journeys! more than him leaving on this occasion.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 16 Apr 2009 10:24

Ian Royal

No real need to borrow trouble there. And even if he does go he hasn't set the world alight here. He's looked good but not produced enough. We've got a fair few decent midfielders he's a great asset but very very far from irreplaceable.
Why can no-one understand?? How can he produce anything if he's not being given anything to work with? Balls hoofed up to him, he tries to do a few clever passes but the other players don't read the ball at all. Hell, the other day, SHunt had his back to the ball (coventry I think it was) - he wasn't even watching where the ball was. It's the same reason our strikers aren't producing anything. They're not being given any quality balls to work with. :evil:

And, with respect, Ian, how you can even comment on the likes of Marek when you've been to, what?, 3 games all season - I'd rather take a dismissive comment about my thoughts from someone who knows what they're talking about.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 16 Apr 2009 10:27

Royal Lady
Ian Royal

Why can no-one understand?? How can he produce anything if he's not being given anything to work with? Balls hoofed up to him, he tries to do a few clever passes but the other players don't read the ball at all. Hell, the other day, SHunt had his back to the ball (coventry I think it was) - he wasn't even watching where the ball was. It's the same reason our strikers aren't producing anything. They're not being given any quality balls to work with. :evil:

i just dont think hes as good as you state

he is good, he tries things others wont, and they occasionally come off
but hes as guilty of giving the ball to the opposition as john oster was.

agree about the quality of our final ball-which is down to shunt and kebe
and our generally lightweight midfield

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 16 Apr 2009 12:09

Sure I've said this before, but Matejovsky gives the ball away far too much.

He has obvious talent and vision but he just seems to lacks something at the moment which means he gets the simple stuff wrong. He has it in him to see and execute some great balls but in between them he'll mess up the simplest of passes.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 17 Apr 2009 20:04

Billy The Fish

I thought that as well, his demeanour reminded me of after Derby last year when he thought he was definitely going. Is it possible that he thinks, well I just don't know how to fix this, perhaps it's time for me to step aside and they can get a new man in with 4 games to go to motivate the players and maybe somehow get some momentum back...

Has he unofficially handed over to Wally already? (See his recent comments re kick up backside.)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Apr 2009 02:28

Hoop Blah Sure I've said this before, but Matejovsky gives the ball away far too much.

He has obvious talent and vision but he just seems to lacks something at the moment which means he gets the simple stuff wrong. He has it in him to see and execute some great balls but in between them he'll mess up the simplest of passes.

Ronaldo does that and nobody seems to complain.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 18 Apr 2009 02:44

Not a bad comparison. :D

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 18 Apr 2009 11:06

Royalee
Hoop Blah Sure I've said this before, but Matejovsky gives the ball away far too much.

Ronaldo does that and nobody seems to complain.

Good comparison there :lol:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 18 Apr 2009 11:08

Even the best players in the world give the ball away when it comes to attacking players, I'm not putting Matejovsky up there, but he's more than good enough for a promotion side in this league and needs to play.