BRING ON TODAY!!!!!!

343 posts
Humanistic

Re: BRING ON TODAY!!!!!!

by Humanistic » 25 Apr 2009 20:12

Appreciating the optimism of course, but it's been months since we won back-to-back games. Still, you can but dream!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Apr 2009 20:13

SLAMMED
Royal Lady He just doesn't get carried away

Exibit A:
Schards#2 I think we need to get used to mid table championship football at the very best....

...supporting Reading's going to be a whole lot duller and uninspiring than in recent years :cry:

Thats not getting carried away at all is it? :roll:
Firstly, I meant he doesn't get carried away being blindly optimistic and secondly, no - that quote isn't him getting "carried away". Next? :roll:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 25 Apr 2009 20:13

Royal Lady If you're referring to Schards, which I presume you are, you're wayyyyy off the mark. He just doesn't get carried away - he's happier than anyone tonight that we've still got a chance. :roll:

Not willing to name names on here as I simply think it would be unfair on that person (and would be a childish thing to do) but their posts on every area of HNA certainly gives the impression that they have a glass half empty approach to most things.

Drew_3

by Drew_3 » 25 Apr 2009 20:16

cmonurz Well, well. Can't quite believe that there remains a chance to go into the last today with promotion in the balance. But that's the situation we are in. Ultimately, we need to prove we are worthy of automatic promotion. Can we beat a relegation struggler in front of their own fans? Can we go there and professionally wrap up the points against a desperate, passionate but lesser side? And then can we do the 'ultimate' and beat one of the two teams who can still make automatic promotion ahead of us?

Thrilled we are in this position, but first things first, we need to be the sh*t team on Monday.

would prefer it if Norwich were Sh*t!

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Apr 2009 20:16

Really? About EVERYTHING on EVERY board? He's merely realistic in most instances. He's bound to be wrong on occasions too. :roll:

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Apr 2009 20:17

cmonurz Can we beat a relegation struggler in front of their own fans? Can we go there and professionally wrap up the points against a desperate, passionate but lesser side?

Yes, I'm sure we can.

cmonurz And then can we do the 'ultimate' and beat one of the two teams who can still make automatic promotion ahead of us?

Yes, I'm sure we can.

But I can't help but be convinced that the crucial game we lost was on Good Friday, and as we hear of Sheffield United's celebrations at Selhurst Park all we'll be able to rejoice about ouselves is the minor triumph of stopping Birmingham going up automatically.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 25 Apr 2009 20:55

Dirk Gently I can't help but think that the team laughing most today is Sheffield United.

Yes, this makes it all interesting for next week - but Sheffield United are the ones in the driving seat and with form at the mo!

They have the form, but are not in the driving seat. They still have to hope that Birmingham don't win next Sunday. The only team with destiny in their own hands is Birmingham. They are shit though.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 25 Apr 2009 21:18

soggy biscuit
Royal Lady gives the impression that they have a glass half empty approach to most things.

Royal Lady Really? About EVERYTHING on EVERY board?

:lol:

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 25 Apr 2009 21:29

Birmingham....

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 25 Apr 2009 21:33

soggy biscuit
soggy biscuit
Royal Lady gives the impression that they have a glass half empty approach to most things.

Royal Lady Really? About EVERYTHING on EVERY board?

:lol:
Hmmm, I specifically re-read your post before posting my comment and I could have SWORN you put EVERY thing. :|

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 25 Apr 2009 21:52

Dirk Gently as we hear of Sheffield United's celebrations at Selhurst Park all we'll be able to rejoice about ouselves is the minor triumph of stopping Birmingham going up automatically.

Couldn't agree less. Reducing the likelihood of Birmingham's return to the prem would do a great service to all football fans throughout the nation. Also, I think the best way to cure the poor blue noses of their delusion that they are a prem side would be to give them a damn good thrashing.

On a different matter; am I alone in feeling sorry for Ross Wallace? The last minute of the penultimate game of a long season, he scores the goal that could be instrumental in getting his club into the top flight, and gets sent off for celebrating! FFS why is taking your shirt off a mandatory yellow? Well, maybe if it was women's football, though Sep Blatter would probably positively encourage that.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Apr 2009 21:53

As long as there are dejected Brum fans in the south stand at the end of the game then ill be happy.

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 25 Apr 2009 21:56

Pseud O'Nym On a different matter; am I alone in feeling sorry for Ross Wallace? The last minute of the penultimate game of a long season, he scores the goal that could be instrumental in getting his club into the top flight, and gets sent off for celebrating! FFS why is taking your shirt off a mandatory yellow? Well, maybe if it was women's football, though Sep Blatter would probably positively encourage that.

I don't feel sorry for him as the "yellow card for taking your shirt off" rule has been around for ages - yes the law is an ass but until it is changed, players are still going to get booked for it.

IIRC, the reasoning behind the law is to not affect Arabic countries (or something) - think Dirk mentioned this recently on the way to an way game.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 25 Apr 2009 21:58

Pseud O'Nym On a different matter; am I alone in feeling sorry for Ross Wallace? The last minute of the penultimate game of a long season, he scores the goal that could be instrumental in getting his club into the top flight, and gets sent off for celebrating! FFS why is taking your shirt off a mandatory yellow? Well, maybe if it was women's football, though Sep Blatter would probably positively encourage that.

There are two linked reasons for that :
- FIFA insists on a single set of rules for all matches across the world (rightly so, IMHO, as there'd be so many different sets of rules, otherwise).
- In many countries and cultures across the world the sight of a bare chest is taboo and/or offensive - a major sign of disrespect and so punished by a yellow card.

Now put the two together ....

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 25 Apr 2009 21:59

If I was in Wallace's shoes I'd have done exactly the same. Blatter is trying to ruin every inkling of passion left in the game.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 25 Apr 2009 22:02

Spur of the moment stuff, at that precise moment, he knew what he was doing and he couldn't have cared less!!!

T.R.O.L.I.
Hob Nob Addict
Location: 2 down, far right - Still recovering from the weekend's excesses

by T.R.O.L.I. » 25 Apr 2009 22:07

Dirk Gently

There are two linked reasons for that :
- FIFA insists on a single set of rules for all matches across the world (rightly so, IMHO, as there'd be so many different sets of rules, otherwise).
- In many countries and cultures across the world the sight of a bare chest is taboo and/or offensive - a major sign of disrespect and so punished by a yellow card.

Now put the two together ....

Might have asked you this before, DG, and if so I apologise as I can't remember the answer, but what would happen if the FA turned round to FIFA as said "bollocks to you, we're not implementing that rule in English football". Hypothetical I know as the FA are totally gutless but you know what I'm getting at.

Pseud O'Nym
Hob Nob Regular

by Pseud O'Nym » 25 Apr 2009 22:12

readingbedding Spur of the moment stuff, at that precise moment, he knew what he was doing and he couldn't have cared less!!!

Exactly. Carried away by the moment. If it was at the referee's discretion then I wouldn't disagree with the rule. This game wasn't in Jeddah, it was in Birmingham and surely nobody in their right mind would have sent the player off if it wasn't mandatory.

Fluff

by Fluff » 25 Apr 2009 22:13

did anyone else see Ronaldos celebration this afternoon

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 25 Apr 2009 22:16

Royal Lady
Royal With Cheese
JimmytheJim cue dismal display at carrow road. i'm far too excited to be optimistic.

I was thinking the same thing!

It's still staggering to think that with 2 games to go we still have a chance of automatic promotion!

How dull this season is! Oh, and uninspiring!
Oh COME ON RwC - it's not our play that has made this run-in exciting - you've got to concede that!

It's exaclty our play that's made the run in exciting. If we'd won the last 5 home games we'd have been promoted by now and the game against Norwich would be a formality. :wink:
Last edited by Royal With Cheese on 25 Apr 2009 22:19, edited 1 time in total.

343 posts