PFA Divisional Awards

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: PFA Divisional Awards

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Apr 2009 08:10

madreadingfan Stephen Hunt – Reading
Everton, Middlesbrough and Wigan were all reported to be showing an interest in Republic of Ireland international Stephen in the January transfer window, but theReading fans’ favourite delighted those who admire him for his ability and total commitment by putting pen to paper on a new deal that will keep him a Royal until 2012.

... I think is more appropriate. But it does refelct the nonsense of this being voted for in February.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 27 Apr 2009 08:54

Not sure whether this best represents the idiocy of footballers, how overrated SHunt is or how bad this league is!

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 27 Apr 2009 09:03

Y21_Royal Not sure whether this best represents the idiocy of footballers, how overrated SHunt is or how bad this league is!

...or - dare I say it - how little football fans really know..?

1871royals

by 1871royals » 27 Apr 2009 09:30

I used to think PFA teams were a good sign of quality because they are voted for by fellow professionals, obviously not. I suppose considering the voting was done in Feb he had been playing well up until then.

Side point surprised by Naughton and Stearman. I thought it would have been K Foley at rb and I dont think Stearman has had a great season.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 27 Apr 2009 10:12

Simon Cox - 30 goals and he does not feature in the PFA Division One team of the season, amazing.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Apr 2009 10:44

The Real Sandhurst Royal Simon Cox - 30 goals and he does not feature in the PFA Division One team of the season, amazing.

Not in a promotion winning side.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 27 Apr 2009 10:44

surely scoring 30 goals for a team at the bottom makes him even better!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Apr 2009 10:46

The Real Sandhurst Royal Simon Cox - 30 goals and he does not feature in the PFA Division One team of the season, amazing.

Nobody from Brentford or Exeter in the League 2 team either.

Odd.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 27 Apr 2009 11:01

OmaROFL DaLOley.

Probably selected based on his performances in The Wire.

Y21_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Y21_Royal » 27 Apr 2009 11:14

Maguire OmaROFL DaLOley.

Probably selected based on his performances in The Wire.

:lol:

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 27 Apr 2009 13:08

Please PISS OUT S Hunt...we have players miles superior to you and still you get all the credit for doing feck all. The positives of staying down...we cash in on him and Harper and build ourselves a team capable of winning the championhsip. We all know if Coppell had brains and balls Convey would still be in that starting line up now

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 27 Apr 2009 13:11

winchester_royal
marekisgod Just Stretch

Nicky who ??????????????????????
Best bit of business ever Steve is a genius

STretch for England !

LOL. We played 10x better with Harding in the team. Amazing what happens when we have a LB who doesn't just lump it.

Amen the football we play under Stretch is 10x worse! Yer I like him and he's a good defender but Shorey was better. He had one bad season, apart from that great defensively and attacking, 5x a better player than Stretch

1871royals

by 1871royals » 27 Apr 2009 13:36

Jeffers217 Amen the football we play under Stretch is 10x worse! Yer I like him and he's a good defender but Shorey was better. He had one bad season, apart from that great defensively and attacking, 5x a better player than Stretch

+1

Im glad other people have picked up on this.

Stretch is a good defender but hes absolutely terrible going forward. His distribution is shocking, we can never build attacks from the back with him.

All the Nicky who? threads are laughable, Stretch has defended well in one season in the championship for us. Shorey did this for 5 years and contributed offensively.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 27 Apr 2009 13:54

I don't understand why everyone slates S Hunt. He puts huge amounts of effort in every game to make up for his average quality.
He had a fantastic start to the season and dipped in form at the same time the whole team dipped in form - watch him when we play well. He deserves his spot, I think.

Jeffers217

by Jeffers217 » 27 Apr 2009 13:58

SteveRoyal I don't understand why everyone slates S Hunt. He puts huge amounts of effort in every game to make up for his average quality.
He had a fantastic start to the season and dipped in form at the same time the whole team dipped in form - watch him when we play well. He deserves his spot, I think.

Effort is no substitute for class and Convey had that class, shame he was hampered by injuries but you can't deny he was a better player. Hunt hasn't really put in the effort people were talking bout since I would say jan in our 2nd prem season. He only plays average when his brother is in there and that's because N Hunt is such a good header of the ball

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Apr 2009 14:05

SteveRoyal I don't understand why everyone slates S Hunt. He puts huge amounts of effort in every game to make up for his average quality.

LOL.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 27 Apr 2009 14:07

Jeffers217
winchester_royal
marekisgod Just Stretch

Nicky who ??????????????????????
Best bit of business ever Steve is a genius

STretch for England !

LOL. We played 10x better with Harding in the team. Amazing what happens when we have a LB who doesn't just lump it.

Amen the football we play under Stretch is 10x worse! Yer I like him and he's a good defender but Shorey was better. He had one bad season, apart from that great defensively and attacking, 5x a better player than Stretch

Shorey was better on the ball and a better passer.

I think Stretch can actually kick with both feet though. :wink:

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 27 Apr 2009 15:56

It just goes to show how much of a joke these awards really are, made purely on reputation. If half the people who decided the awards actually saw the teams play a few times they would realise quite quickly that Stephen Hunt is shite and not worth 1 million let alone 5 million. Other ridiculous examples are Anelka being in the Prem team of the year, Giggs getting the player of the year and being in the team of the year.(love the guy but read that he has started just 10 games!!!).

On the other topic on this thread, Armstrongs awful distributuion is a major factor in our lack of creativity. 9 times out of 10 he will just hoof it down the line, where Shorey would link up with the left winger and bring the ball forward, thus keeping possession and creating chances with his crossing from the byline. Rosenior at right back is exactly the same, cant link up with the right winger and just constantly loses possession. It maybe due to Coppell telling the players to do this but my feeling is that they have no footballing brain.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 27 Apr 2009 17:46

Jeffers217

Effort is no substitute for class and Convey had that class, shame he was hampered by injuries but you can't deny he was a better player. Hunt hasn't really put in the effort people were talking bout since I would say jan in our 2nd prem season. He only plays average when his brother is in there and that's because N Hunt is such a good header of the ball

Firstly, stop sucking Convey's dick. He was great for one season and that was when everyone else was playing well in that same season that we got a record-breaking season, so he was just part of the machine. After that he was nowhere near that good, whether he was plagued with injuries or fully fit, and never showed the potential he had in that season.

Secondly, whether he is playing well or not, SHunt has earnt his place ahead of Convey when he was fit and was rarely displaced from that left wing until recently. His technique may not be the best, but his effort definitely made him the no. 1 left midfielder, NOT Convey. Rather see a player with average technique and loads of effort than a class player who's shows as much effort as a sloth.

Finally, wtf are you on about saying he only plays average when NHunt is playing? There have been loads of game that SHunt has played without his brother and has been MOTM in a fair few of those games. And there's a hell of a lot more to a cross than whether someone is a good header of the ball!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 27 Apr 2009 18:09

roberto_11 It just goes to show how much of a joke these awards really are, made purely on reputation. If half the people who decided the awards actually saw the teams play a few times they would realise quite quickly that Stephen Hunt is shite and not worth 1 million let alone 5 million. Other ridiculous examples are Anelka being in the Prem team of the year, Giggs getting the player of the year and being in the team of the year.(love the guy but read that he has started just 10 games!!!).

It's hardly surprising that footballers are just as influenced by the media and reputation of players as Joe Public. They might get to play against these players a few times a season but their main view of them created from the press, what they see on TV and what they hear about them through their peers.

There's no doubt that players will appreciate Hunts effort and work rate more than your average football fan though but they, like fans, will go into a game against Reading with a preconceived idea of how good Hunt is. It's a shame for us that he doesn't live up to the reputation he's built for himself more often.

At the time the votes were collected Hunt was just starting to consistently under perform. His performances between Sept and January were pretty decent and so I can see why he might've won a lot of votes for that, and same goes for Anelka, but it's funny how you rarely see the PFA teams differ too much from what the media lead us to believe.