Green park station/south Reading station

824 posts
West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Station at the ground

by West Stand Man » 28 Apr 2009 09:01

Thaumagurist*
Royalshow
Y21_Royal So in 4 months they're going to divert and extend the trainline and build a new station? :roll:

If you're gona go fishing try something a bit tastier as bait

mug, where did he say it was going to be at the ground?

Er, in the thread title. :|

Er, no. neither 'Green Park' nor 'South Reading' imply 'Madejski Stadium'.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Green park station/south Reading station

by West Stand Man » 28 Apr 2009 09:03

It is likely to be a 'Halt' type of station; ie platform but not much else. They now have those pre-fabricated in steel, ready to put down very quickly. It could, therefore, happen (though it may not of course!)

Tennents Super
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Kicking and a gouging in the mud, and the blood and the beer.

by Tennents Super » 28 Apr 2009 09:07

West Stand Man
Thaumagurist*
Royalshow mug, where did he say it was going to be at the ground?

Er, in the thread title. :|

Er, no. neither 'Green Park' nor 'South Reading' imply 'Madejski Stadium'.

No, but 'Station at the ground' does you oxf*rd cretin.

Skyline

by Skyline » 28 Apr 2009 10:52

Tennents Super
West Stand Man Er, no. neither 'Green Park' nor 'South Reading' imply 'Madejski Stadium'.

Or to put it another way: The 'Station at the ground' thread got merged with the 'Green Park station' thread after Spacey made his comment and WSM missed the fact the merge had taken place.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Apr 2009 14:09

The Cube To be honest, there is precisely as much chance of there being a railway station at the ground at the start of next season as there is of there being one at Green Park. (And that's no chance at all.)

And gazzer loyal royal clearly has adopted the traditional builder's concept of "being built".

i'm only quoting the guy who gave me the tour of the ground before the sheff utd game

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Apr 2009 14:16

The station will officially be known as "Reading Green Park."

I think the scehduled operation date is Dec09/Jan10 but that's from memory - I'll need to check on my PC at home.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 28 Apr 2009 14:27

Dirk Gently The station will officially be known as "Reading Green Park."

I think the scehduled operation date is Dec09/Jan10 but that's from memory - I'll need to check on my PC at home.

This would seem to be borne out as steps have gone in and undergrowth removed to between the Mad Stad car park and the Green Park walkthrough down to where the station is supposedly going to be.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Apr 2009 14:31

Barry the bird boggler
Dirk Gently The station will officially be known as "Reading Green Park."

This would seem to be borne out as steps have gone in and undergrowth removed to between the Mad Stad car park and the Green Park walkthrough down to where the station is supposedly going to be.

Nope - that "path" is just a temporary fix to stop people going into Green Park from trampling down the bushes. There will be a better, disabled-friendly, path to RGP station.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 Apr 2009 18:45

Tennents Super

ok then, give me a clue. Where in the thread title are those words. Maybe you could be less insulting and a touch more literate.

Matt de K

by Matt de K » 28 Apr 2009 19:08

West Stand Man
Tennents Super

ok then, give me a clue. Where in the thread title are those words. Maybe you could be less insulting and a touch more literate.

i think the confusion here is that two threads were merged. Original one titled "Green park station/south Reading station" and the merged one titled "Station at the ground"

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Apr 2009 07:39

Milestone                              Date
====================================================
Issue Construction Tender              Nov 2008
Appoint D&B Contractor                 Jan 2009
Complete Enabling Works                April 2009
Complete Detailed Design               May 2009
Complete Construction                  Dec 2009
Station Operational                    Jan 2010

HTH!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 29 Apr 2009 07:54

The pink (magenta?) line shows the border of the "Green Park Village" housing development.
The Orange block is the location of RGP station.

This station is not particularly close to the stadium - it'll be a good 15-20 minutes' walk minimum. There were proposals to build this much closer to the stadium, but the experts tell me that a train station only has any benefit as a transport link if you actually build it where the railway line is.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Apr 2009 08:31

gazzer, loyal royal
The Cube To be honest, there is precisely as much chance of there being a railway station at the ground at the start of next season as there is of there being one at Green Park. (And that's no chance at all.)

And gazzer loyal royal clearly has adopted the traditional builder's concept of "being built".

i'm only quoting the guy who gave me the tour of the ground before the sheff utd game

i think being built meant was in the plans rather than is actually being constructed now.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 29 Apr 2009 08:33

Dirk Gently
The pink (magenta?) line shows the border of the "Green Park Village" housing development.

This station is not particularly close to the stadium - it'll be a good 15-20 minutes' walk minimum. There were proposals to build this much closer to the stadium, but the experts tell me that a train station only has any benefit as a transport link if you actually build it where the railway line is.

Who put the ground in such a silly place, cant we move it over closer to the new station, sell the mound for more retail, JM wins all round.

y26 royal

by y26 royal » 29 Apr 2009 11:45

Dirk Gently

that orange marker doesnt match up with the location of the station on other plans!

The Cube

by The Cube » 01 May 2009 13:51

I (a while ago) ...on the maps that i have seen the station is shown as just north of the M4. There never has been any clearance in that area, but often such maps are merely indicative. The possible clearance site I referred to is just north of the next road bridge up and I still think that it could be the planned site.

That site I mentioned as just north of the next road bridge up is the one highlighted in orange on Dirk's map. I had a look yesterday and it appears completely unchanged from last June, so I'm not sure what "Complete Enabling Works April 2009" means.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 24 Jul 2009 15:18

Seems to have been some activity in the area over the last few weeks (ie lorries dropping dirt!). Is this actually happening at last?

Who Moved The Goalposts?

by Who Moved The Goalposts? » 24 Jul 2009 16:18

Dirk Gently

Maybe not quite so bad - Google Earth says it's about 1.36 km to the stadium. And some of the pathways though GP are quite pleasant as well (when it's dry of course). Wonder if they'll build proper steps up the slope at the back of the Mad Stad car park where it leads to the GP pathways?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 24 Jul 2009 16:46

Who Moved The Goalposts? Maybe not quite so bad - Google Earth says it's about 1.36 km to the stadium. And some of the pathways though GP are quite pleasant as well (when it's dry of course). Wonder if they'll build proper steps up the slope at the back of the Mad Stad car park where it leads to the GP pathways?

Yes, they will - the current ones are only temporary.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 24 Jul 2009 17:49

what steps are these??

824 posts