Did Federici ever do anything wrong?

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Did Federici ever do anything wrong?

by Tony Le Mesmer » 04 May 2009 14:37

Federici cost us the game againt both B City and Forest. Thats why he was dropped.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 04 May 2009 14:41

Handsome Man Coppell broke his golden rule in bringing back Marcus when Federici had claimed the goalkeeping spot, was playing well and hadn't made any mistakes.
Yesterday, the mistake came back to haunt him. Hahnemann was old, tired and error prown.

Disagree - Federici was dropped after a couple of poor performances where he cost us goals by not coming for crosses. The Charlton equaliser in the game before he was dropped comes to mind right away - he watched a floated ball go right across goal and was then beat by a header made from nigh on the goal line.

Hahnemann did make a cock up yesterday, it happens - it was no worse than Federici's against Man Utd in the cup a couple of seasons back.

total_biscuit

by total_biscuit » 04 May 2009 14:45

Federici's goal-scoring record is better :)

HTH

TB

bcubed
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by bcubed » 04 May 2009 18:36

Handsome Man Coppell broke his golden rule in bringing back Marcus when Federici had claimed the goalkeeping spot, was playing well and hadn't made any mistakes.
Yesterday, the mistake came back to haunt him. Hahnemann was old, tired and error prown.

Agree
prone prown or prawn, probably all three
And not only that but he wasn't in the right frame of mind, bitching about his lack of a contract. Having a feature about this in a national paper on the day of the game was hardly constructive.

Candu

by Candu » 04 May 2009 22:32

I'll give you guys a heads up. The keeper Reading staff should be looking at is Toronto FC's new draft Stefan Frei. He has already stolen the the TFC first team spot from the Canadian National team keeper Greg Sutton. This kid is amazing. Great shot stopper, superb hands, lightning fast, agile, aggressive, commands the box and organizes the defense. I'm not joking the TFC supporters fully expect a big name team to come for this player in the near future. Reading should trade or pay the MLS for him now. We all agree that he is going to become a World Class player and the Swiss national team keeper and he is already not far off despite very little professional experience.

I hate to see him leave TFC but he is has to go I love to see him at Reading. Forward this information to one of the Reading scouts. I would never write this post if wasn't so impressed. Trust me on this.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 04 May 2009 22:33

^^^^agent. :wink:

Candu

by Candu » 04 May 2009 23:36

royalexile ^^^^agent. :wink:

LOL...there are no agents. All negotiations have to go through MLS. Besides any agent would wait until he becomes famous and a big name club comes for him. Do some research, he is already being cited as probable Rookie of the Year http://toronto.fc.mlsnet.com/news/team_news.jsp?ymd=20090502&content_id=247465&vkey=news_t280&fext=.jsp&team=t280 . Just trying to help out he is already better than Feds and USA IMO and would sign for a very low wage and transfer fee. This kid reminds me of of Steve Death but he is way bigger.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 05 May 2009 10:19

AthleticoSpizz
cmonurz
Deathy He's just not good enough. Simple as.

I've seen little to back that up.
not commanding his area well, being second choice to our best keeper that's all

About all I can remember is a lack of experience.

When (if!) we are winning by 1 goal with 10 minutes to go, it's not the time to take a quick goal kick and that is exactly what he was doing on a few occasions. I think Coppell alluded to this but not directly.

gonesy

by gonesy » 05 May 2009 10:43

Let's not forget Ben Hamer either. Just had a full year's experience in the division below, ending in promotion. Has anyone seen him play this year?

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 05 May 2009 11:12

I think the keeper is the vital backbone of the team. Good keeper --> organised and confident defence --> stable team --> rest of team can function normally.

The downfall we've witnessed may well have been a comination of losing Ingi and USA getting injured/ going off-form.

It happens every few years to every club and now is arguably the time to act: I would LOVE to see Myhill in goal and would easily spend £5million on him.

Feds may well be ok but the trouble is he's still learning. It's ok to learn when you're a midtable Championship side but with the pressures of playoffs/trying to go up/possible Prem footy can we risk it?

Scarface
Hob Nob Regular

by Scarface » 05 May 2009 11:23

Deathy He's just not good enough. Simple as. He and Hahnemann can take a long walk this summer.

Agreed, I'd ship both out, sign a new first team keeper and then have Hamer as the number 2.

The Cube

by The Cube » 05 May 2009 12:28

gonesy Let's not forget Ben Hamer either. Just had a full year's experience in the division below, ending in promotion. Has anyone seen him play this year?

The division below?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 May 2009 12:38

We seemed to concede a couple of soft goals at the far post when Fed was first choice. At the time I thought Doobs was culpable, getting caught under the flight of the ball and/or losing his marker. But these errors seem to have dried up on Marcus's return and that, coupled with Doobs' vast prior experience in those situations, led me to wonder whether a Fed lack of communication was part of the issue.

Having said that, USA is looking past it - he was way too slow to get down for not only the first Brum goal, but the shot that hit the post as well. And he seems to be losing mental sharpness as well, particularly with distribution. He's been a great servant - a legend, even - but we drastically need new blood in goal next season. I'm on the fence regarding whether Fed is the man to do it.

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 05 May 2009 12:42

my mate is a season ticket holder for brentford. he reckons ben hamer is good but not championship quality. his decision making is poor and he does concede some soft goals too.

JimmytheJim

by JimmytheJim » 05 May 2009 12:57

whenever i read one of jay's posts, i get this strong urge to punch the living shit out of whatever is nearest to me.

and in response to the question, most people were clamouring for the return of marcus to the first team, although a-fed did very little wrong. now that hahnemann has done something wrong, people want a-fed back again. i think that federici has shown a great deal of potential and deserves the opportunity to make some mistakes and gradually settle himself as a first-choice keeper. i think that will happen next season, wherever we are.

i also think the 'nobbers with strong, unfounded and unsupported opinions can suck the hairiest part of my bum.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 May 2009 13:08

Scarface
Deathy He's just not good enough. Simple as. He and Hahnemann can take a long walk this summer.

Agreed, I'd ship both out, sign a new first team keeper and then have Hamer as the number 2.

We're lucky in the sense that both Hamer and Anderson are highly thought of at Reading. Anderson has already made noises about signing his new contract because he was offered assurances he will be challenging for the no.1 jersey soon (I guess that's a season or two then, rather than this summer).
Hamer will also be keen after successful loans.

It's a nice position to find ourselves in!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 05 May 2009 13:10

JimmytheJim whenever i read one of jay's posts, i get this strong urge to punch the living shit out of whatever is nearest to me.

ucp.php?i=168