Re: do you think we can win play offs

by Schards#2 » 05 May 2009 08:37

Can we? - yes

Will we? - no chance

tlcs

by tlcs » 05 May 2009 08:40

I hope not , because we are not good enough to play in the premiership

Roll on the WED 13th ...thats the day SC resigns !!!

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 May 2009 08:52

Can we? Of course.

Will we? No. We're not good enough and don't have the bottle.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 May 2009 09:06

I think we can win, but I don't think we have the mental fortitude to do so. I was pretty appalled at the mental weakness of our players when we went a goal down on Sunday. There we were with nothing to lose but the boys played as if it was they who were nervously hanging on to a 1-0 lead and a place in the top tier. The number of players who hid or who treated the ball like a stranger was incredibly worrying - USA, Rosenior, Harding, Kebe, Karacan, S Hunt all look like they lack the heart for the (potentially) three incredibly nervy matches to come. Bikey and Doobs are only exempt from that list because they always play like that! So I think we have the ability to do it, but I don't think we have the nerve.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 05 May 2009 09:10

tlcs I hope not , because we are not good enough to play in the premiership

:roll:

I'm getting that feeling you get when you've told your toddler a hunderd times not to touch something because it's hot. They're reaching for it again and you think 'yeah, go on then it's the only way you'll learn.' Similarly, in a way I hope SC leaves this summer. It's the only way some people will learn what he brings to the club.

tlcs

by tlcs » 05 May 2009 09:26

CMRoyal
tlcs I hope not , because we are not good enough to play in the premiership

:roll:

.' Similarly, in a way I hope SC leaves this summer. It's the only way some people will learn what he brings to the club.

What he has BROUGHT to the club since he has been here has been incredible...but as the saying goes

THE KING IS DEAD...........LONG LIVE THE KING

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 05 May 2009 09:45

course we can

but we wont

themadstad

by themadstad » 05 May 2009 11:33

No chance, if we get past Burnley then I'll be amazed! Here's for why Burnley have shown great ability in cup games and have upped their game for the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc. They will want it more and will put out that fight and we will panic! So ideally we need to go up to Burnley and get as many goals as possible but Burnley are no fools! The home leg, well........

Burnley play terrific stuff and as I said they really are no mugs! That said I'm still going to both legs of the play offs!

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 05 May 2009 11:42

On our day then we're the best team in the play-offs.

Unfortunately, we haven't had a day in months.

Northern Git

by Northern Git » 05 May 2009 12:09

To be honest I dont know. Depends what team turns up I suppose. I did think that after Derby and Norwich we would rip into the Brummies and play them off the pitch - obviously did not happen.

Will be making the long trip up to Burnley more in hope than expectation.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 05 May 2009 12:15

Only if we sort out the defence

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 05 May 2009 12:32

Plus the wings, middle and up top.

We might benefit from going into this massive underdogs (with the fans at least). Well, I'm grasping at that anyway.

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 05 May 2009 13:11

themadstad No chance, if we get past Burnley then I'll be amazed! Here's for why Burnley have shown great ability in cup games and have upped their game for the likes of Arsenal, Chelsea, Spurs etc. They will want it more and will put out that fight and we will panic! So ideally we need to go up to Burnley and get as many goals as possible but Burnley are no fools! The home leg, well........

Burnley play terrific stuff and as I said they really are no mugs! That said I'm still going to both legs of the play offs!

I agree, have watched Burnley several times this season, the first half at White Hart lane was as good as any football I have seen this season, they just had a nightmare 20 minutes after the break which thay won't against us as we don't have the players to punish them.
If we play like Sunday the tie will be over by the 2nd leg.

Man Friday
Hob Nob Regular

by Man Friday » 05 May 2009 13:12

A colleague has just told me that Coppell said before the match in an interview on Sky that he didn't think we would win. Is this true? If so, it beggars belief.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 May 2009 13:16

Dr Hfuhruhurr Up until Sunday, I thought we had chance, but now that 'The Season has Ended' feeling has taken over.
Perfect time for a surprise.

braindead

by braindead » 05 May 2009 13:19

As a Burnley fan I have to say I am surprised by a lot of the negative comments about your side on here. The Championship is a notoriously difficult league to progress from, and has almost become an ex-Premiership club graveyard. This is borne out by Naaarwich, Charlton & Saints being relegated & the likes of Derby struggling.

I did think that you would run away with the league after our two games against you, but 4th place & being potentially three wins from the top flight surely cannot be classed as a bad season?

We are on a good run (One defeat in 12), and you are excellent away from the Madjeski Stadium in recent weeks - I think it will be tight, and a bit of magic or an error could decide it.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 05 May 2009 13:31

Man Friday A colleague has just told me that Coppell said before the match in an interview on Sky that he didn't think we would win. Is this true? If so, it beggars belief.

It was after, and he said he didn't think we'd be promoted on Sunday, not that we wouldn't win. That reflects pessimism about things out of our control not about our team.

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 05 May 2009 14:23

I can't bring myself to hope that we will win. Time and time again since Christmas I have been building up my hopes for particular matches, only to have them routinely dashed. I prefer to be cynical now, to protect myself.

I might perk up if we beat Burnley over the two games, but not if we beat them (or draw) at Turf Moor, which I fear would be followed by another headless chicken home game. If we get to the final I will allow myself a slight hope, but will fear the worst. I would expect to get beat by something along the lines of Marcus's error on Sunday or the off-Rougier's-arse fiasco against Walsall.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 05 May 2009 15:01

braindead As a Burnley fan I have to say I am surprised by a lot of the negative comments about your side on here. The Championship is a notoriously difficult league to progress from...

We didn't find it too difficult to get out of in 2006 8)

However when you only win 6 games in 22, win none of your last 8 at home scoring only 3 goals in the process and losing/drawing to the likes of Forest, Barnsley, Charlton, Ipswich, and a very defensively minded Preston, and generally play dull and uninspiring football, it breeds masses of negativity. We're unbeaten in 9 away, but even then we've had some very very disinterested displays, none more so than at Coventry City. Too many people are still comparing this team with the 05/06 team and hope/expect (delete as applicable) us to show the same form and play the same way. These people haven't cottoned onto the fact that isn't going to happen.

For what it's worth, no I don't think we will win the playoffs.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 05 May 2009 15:12

Yes, we can and yes, we will.

Come on, time for some oxf*rd positivity. :roll: