Back from the game Burnley

westongeezer

Re: Back from the game Burnley

by westongeezer » 09 May 2009 21:13

The best team lost, we closed them down but we failed in the final 3rd of their end, i think with exception of TWATHEAD we played the best ive seen for ages almost a glimmer of earlier this year, and Harding what a player and hats off to Tabb.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 09 May 2009 21:23

I really don't know how we lost that. We dominated most of the game, and just like in the league game, we lost to a late goal we shouldn't have conceded.

Player ratings:
Hahnemann - 8. Didn't kick any straight into touch that I remember, no chance with the penalty.
Rosenior - 7. Looks good going forward but still has a tendency to hoof it.
Duberry - 8. Solid in defence, didn't look like anything was getting past him today. Cracking challenge on Gudjonnson at the start.
Bikey - 6. Same as Doobs, looked very solid, gonna be missed in the next leg. Very stupid to get sent off though, and needless tug on the shirt.
Harding - 9. Did he do anything wrong? Contained Eagles superbly, and looks good going forward.
Kebe - 6. He wasn't at his best, but the fans didn't help. Can't have given him any confidence at all, can't believe how much he was booed. Wish he had passed to Kitson though!
Gunnarsson - 8. Got stuck in well, looked reliable.
Tabb - 8. Looks a cracking player in the middle there. And boy he can jump high.
Doyle - 8. We looked very much the better team whilst he was on. His control and first touch is fantastic, and we really missed him when he went off.
Matejovsky - 8. Looks very good going forward, always wants the ball and always looks like he is going to do something decent with it. And usually he does.
Long - 7. Worked hard but nothing seemed to come off for him today.

Kitson - 7. At times looked like he was the player most wanting it, and others looked decidedly disinterested.
Cisse - Not on for long enough to judge.

Reading fans - made a cracking atmosphere, we were in great voice today.
Burnley fans - were they even there until the 84th minute?

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 09 May 2009 21:26

wizard, are you sure you weren't watching a re-run of an old Reading game against Burnley?

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 09 May 2009 21:28

Fairly sure, yes. I am just home, I only live in south Manchester. Pretty sure I was there.

Oh, also a comment about Burnley fans. I had to walk from the away end down past their ticket office to get back to my car, the amount of taunting, jeering and backslapping I got was ridiculous. As was the chavs banging on my car whilst all I was doing was trying to drive home. Pcunts.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 09 May 2009 21:33

Wizard Fairly sure, yes. I am just home, I only live in south Manchester. Pretty sure I was there.

Think your marks were very generous. What did Hahnemann do to desrve an 8?
Agree about Harding. He kept Eagles very quiet. Also agree about Doyle. I suspect he will be out of the second leg though.

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 09 May 2009 21:35

seahawk10 Gutted with the result. Encouraged by early sings of life. We need to finish off our chances.
I think our chances have been finished off ... :wink:

SouthDownsRoyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by SouthDownsRoyal » 09 May 2009 21:36

Be Positive 8)

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 09 May 2009 21:37

To be fair Pearcey, he didn't have any saves to make. But his handling was good, and he didn't do anything wrong, so don't see a problem giving him an 8.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 09 May 2009 21:54

PEARCEY Whats not been said on this thread is how dire absolutely dire Burnley were.
I know our home form is shocking but we can beat this pile of crap

Too right, they were very poor indeed. Could hardly string two passes together.

Today's result was a big disappointment and we didn't get what we deserved for a very decent performance.

Hahnemann - 7, didn't have to do much
Rosenior - 5, frustrating decision making and too many loose balls. Defensively sound though.
Duberry - 7, moments of indecision but generally a good showing.
Bikey - 7, sending off incredibly daft. Penalty may have been outside the box. Superb for 85 minutes.
Harding - 7, utterly solid defensively, but will have to provide more quality and composure going forward to win me over completely.
Doyle - 8, a cut above, as usual. We barely threatened goal after he went off, which speaks volumes (and makes me pessimistic about the return leg).
Gunnarson - 7, a typical performance: quality, intelligence, tired at 75 mins. Never lets us down - well done gunnar.
Tabb - 7, neat and energetic, could have been more involved going forward though. Good effort brought excellent save from Jensen.
Matejovsky - 7, probably justified his inclusion (and therefore the 4-5-1 system). Good control and composure nearly brought about the goal from Tabb, but might have done better with the following chance. Wish he would pull the trigger from distance occasionally - we know he can pull it off.
Kebe - 4, deeply, deeply poor. Looked like a headless chicken, then gradually disappeared from the game as the inevitable abuse started. Could have been the hero after skinning the full-back late on, but unforgivably dithered instead of feeding the unmarked Kitson. That moment, as much as any, cost us the game.
Long - 7, superb as the lone front man, winning more than his share in the air and providing a surprisingly good focal point. Faded once Doyle was off and didn't make the most of his opportunities on the right wing.
--
Kitson - 6, looked jaded, uncommitted and out of ideas. Should in theory be the perfect focal point for our 4-5-1, but was outplayed in the role by little Long. Extremely disappointing, and we'll surely need more out of him if we're going to stand any chance of progressing.

themadstad

by themadstad » 09 May 2009 22:05

We were the better team.....Dan Harding was great keeping Eagles at Bay! Gutted about that penalty as I feel we could have got a goal in the end.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 May 2009 22:10

Not been very impressed with Hardig in the two games I've seen him play live. Wasn't massively impressed with what I managed to see of him against Burnley streaming online. Although it wasn't especially bad either.

He's certainly better than Rosenior. But then so is a lump of dog shit.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 09 May 2009 22:22

USA had nothing to do apart from avoid serious injury from the pen. His distribution was also greatly improved. IIRC, only one clearance went into touch. Compare USA's kicking to Jensen's and there is a clear winner and it is not The Beast.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 09 May 2009 23:14

Wizard Fairly sure, yes. I am just home, I only live in south Manchester. Pretty sure I was there.

Oh, also a comment about Burnley fans. I had to walk from the away end down past their ticket office to get back to my car, the amount of taunting, jeering and backslapping I got was ridiculous. As was the chavs banging on my car whilst all I was doing was trying to drive home. Pcunts.

Just got back via Halifax, Huddersfield, Sheffield, Chesterfield - all dull, but not as bad as Burnley. Yeah their fans were nobs to be fair and and a shit atmosphere that only woke up when they started fighting with the police.

A few people will need shooting if we dont go through on Tuesday night - I thought Burnley were awful.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 May 2009 23:19

Long drive back.

Never seen so many police in all my life.

Great noise from the travelling Royals.

In real time it looked a penalty -I was sure - seen the incident on You Tube - maybe just outside the box, just maybe, but I don't honestly think we can complain.

Bikey was a animal with that stamp.

Long was superb - I'm not normally an admirer, but today he was awesome.

Harding, Tabb and Doyle were suberb.

We can, and will, see off a poor Burnley at the Madejski.

Good night, sleep well.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 09 May 2009 23:23

To be honest in real time I thought it was a soft penalty to give. Not bothered with looking at replays yet.

If we dont go up though this season, we can only blame ourselves.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 09 May 2009 23:24

susieroyal To be honest in real time I thought it was a soft penalty to give. Not bothered with looking at replays yet.

you are right susie, but have we as fans done enough?

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 09 May 2009 23:28

Gus the teenage cow
susieroyal To be honest in real time I thought it was a soft penalty to give. Not bothered with looking at replays yet.

We can kid ourselves all we like - although atmosphere helps, it wont influence what happens on the pitch. If it did we would have won comfortably tonight.

I'd have shocking set pieces as a starting point of reasons we may not go up.

Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

by Gus the teenage cow » 09 May 2009 23:29

susieroyal
Gus the teenage cow

We can kid ourselves all we like - although atmosphere helps, it wont influence what happens on the pitch. If it did we would have won comfortably tonight.

I'd have shocking set pieces as a starting point of reasons we may not go up.

stop talking like an ex-pro pundit, you're a woman ffs, don't mess about with my prejudices :x

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 09 May 2009 23:31

Soz!

How fit was Bikey when he was all angry and took his shirt off?! Highlight of the game for me :wink:

Is that better, Gus?

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 09 May 2009 23:34

Please stop flirting on here, even if you are being witty. This isn't AE, you know.