Coppell has gone

188 posts
Gus the teenage cow
Hob Nob Regular
Location: "God is dead"-Nietzsche 1882................."Nietzsche is dead"-God 1900

Re: Coppell has gone

by Gus the teenage cow » 13 May 2009 00:14

a truly great manager who improved/signed nobodies and raised them up to such an extent that a lot of them started to believe their own press and betrayed the very values the manager had so skillfully instilled in them, et tu brutes!!!

Royal Boil

by Royal Boil » 13 May 2009 00:14

The Prisoner
The MVP LETS ALL HAVE A DISCO,
LETS ALL HAVE A DISCO,
NAH NAAH NAH NAA!
HEY!
NAH NAAH NAH NAA!
HEY!

You utter utter cock.

Indeed. The Knob of the Nob.

Readingfanman
Hob Nob Regular

by Readingfanman » 13 May 2009 00:15

Thank you Coppell. A true legend.

Alivey

by Alivey » 13 May 2009 00:15

We have enjoyed some amazing highs with Coppell. It is hard to pinpoint where it all started going wrong. Seems ever since being promoted to the premier league the signings we have been made have been poor. The medical staff let us down many times. Coppell cannot be the only to take the blame for the failure of not returning to the Premier League..

When Copppell came here all of his signings were golden legends even if now they are underperforming, why coldn't he continue it? could he not devote the time to scouting? were the scouts letting him down? its difficult to say but over the past 3-4 year seasons how many players have we boguht that improved ? stretch? uhh federici? we never replaced sidwell and our midfield has been nonexistant for the past 2 years we need quality not quanity .. anyways.. onwards and upwards.. time to rebuild time to consolidate, might not go up in a few yers but we will rebuild.. we have the money.. we have the potentional.. we will be back.. stronger and faster

everything that made coppell great seemed to turn on him recently, the quality of football, the signings, the players mentality, etc.. i wish him the best and he is forever a reading legend and for good reason.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 May 2009 00:16

LOL @ anyone thinking that The MVP is actually really a Reading fan.

Oh and cheers Steve.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 13 May 2009 00:16

Thanks Steve...

...yes it didn't work out for the past couple of seasons at all, but RFC will never have such a success as it had with you. Darker times are ahead...

The final time I will ever post this link, thanks for the memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYgRawlEVo

yuomi

by yuomi » 13 May 2009 00:16

Alivey We have enjoyed some amazing highs with Coppell. It is hard to pinpoint where it all started going wrong. Seems ever since being promoted to the premier league the signings we have been made have been poor. The medical staff let us down many times. Coppell cannot be the only to take the blame for the failure of not returning to the Premier League..

When Copppell came here all of his signings were golden legends even if now they are underperforming, why coldn't he continue it? could he not devote the time to scouting? were the scouts letting him down? its difficult to say but over the past 3-4 year seasons how many players have we boguht that improved ? stretch? uhh federici? we never replaced sidwell and our midfield has been nonexistant for the past 2 years we need quality not quanity .. anyways.. onwards and upwards.. time to rebuild time to consolidate, might not go up in a few yers but we will rebuild.. we have the money.. we have the potentional.. we will be back.. stronger and faster

everything that made coppell great seemed to turn on him recently, the quality of football, the signings, the players mentality, etc.. i wish him the best and he is forever a reading legend and for good reason.

amen.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 13 May 2009 00:16

I guess it was obvious but I feel really sad all of a sudden.

Somehings been lacking in the past couple of seasons but he'll always be the best manager we've ever had and are ever likely to have.

I'm 28 and if we better a top 8 finish in the Premier League in my life time then i'll eat my kids.

God speed, Sir Steve.

Ozymandias
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ozymandias » 13 May 2009 00:18

Thou Voice Thanks Steve...

...yes it didn't work out for the past couple of seasons at all, but RFC will never have such a success as it had with you. Darker times are ahead...

The final time I will ever post this link, thanks for the memories...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AYgRawlEVo

Freak me, you knock the fella for fecking years and then come ad here and spout that shiiite about success.

I trust you're still single.

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 13 May 2009 00:19

Have not knocked him for well over a year. Read back and shut the oxf*rd up.

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 13 May 2009 00:19

Not at all surprised.

A very sad day.

Shall be remembered as warmly as do the Palace fans do.

We will struggle to find an adequate successor.

I think it probably is for the best as Steve has taken us as far as he can.

This could be the end of Dillon and Downes stay here too.

Step up Eamon Dolan?

Goodbye Steve. It's been brilliant. Thanks for everything. We'll miss you.

howser
Hob Nob Regular

by howser » 13 May 2009 00:20

Every manager has a "shelf life" and sadly SSC's has come to an end tonight, a true legend and the greatest achieving Reading manager ever, he will always have a special place in the hearts and minds of true supporters of our club. There have been mistakes over the past couple of years, but his five and a half years at the Mad Stad will go down in Reading FC folklore. You have been a true legend to the cause that is Readin Football Club Steve Coppell, I for one thank you for making all my football dreams come true for "lil old Reading"

Thou Voice

by Thou Voice » 13 May 2009 00:21

Ideal we'd end up with Steve McLaren or that idiot who got sacked by Forest.

PLEASE GOD NO.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 May 2009 00:21

Listening to the radio coming back from the game he intimated that it was possibly down to the future spending power or intentions of SJM in selling the club. That was a sudden decision to make but a respected chapter in the history of this club has now closed. The club will purge out the older players, renew and evolve.

Steve you will always be remembered for the skill in taking us to the heights we achieved, for the glory of the first year in the premier and putting this club on the map. For that ambition and glorious achievement we sincerely thank you.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 13 May 2009 00:22

do we go for experience or "yoof"

Curbs is an option but he'll want cash to spend

Rodgers is an option and will do well with our younger players

Hmmm suddenly I don't feel so sad - it's the future

Thomas L'Heureux
Hob Nob Regular

by Thomas L'Heureux » 13 May 2009 00:22

Ups and Downs I guess it was obvious but I feel really sad all of a sudden.

Somehings been lacking in the past couple of seasons but he'll always be the best manager we've ever had and are ever likely to have.

I'm 28 and if we better a top 8 finish in the Premier League in my life time then i'll eat my kids.

God speed, Sir Steve.

I'm with you mate. It's been on the cards for a while, especially after how tonight panned-out, but it still seems hard to take.
Last edited by Thomas L'Heureux on 13 May 2009 00:23, edited 1 time in total.

Para Handy

by Para Handy » 13 May 2009 00:22

papereyes Didn't we achieve 4th under a 'far inferior' manager, once?

The next manager will get us into the playoffs, if not promoted.

We're a bigger, better club now than when Steve took over. We've pushed ourselves beyond what we've ever achieved before and it will be done again. Under Steve Coppell, we had two fantastic seasons and, for that, he'll always be regarded as a RFC legend.

But attend carefully now:

This is not the end.

This is not even the beginning of the end.

This is the start of something new.

Hmm, paps, I wish I shared your confidence although I'll take a nod at your Churchill reference so I'm not sure if you're serious or not.

For me, I can see a few seasons of struggling as we readjust. The record breaking team of the championship years are long over and I don't think the current team are anywhere close to that. The next managerial appointment will be crucial. Let's hope we don't do it on the cheap again.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 13 May 2009 00:23

Thou Voice
Ideal we'd end up with Steve McLaren or that idiot who got sacked by Forest.

PLEASE GOD NO.

Hes too good for us.

earleyroyal

by earleyroyal » 13 May 2009 00:23

Was always gonna happen at the end of this season, I think it was for the best that he stayed on after relegation and held the team together but a new start is needed. Some of his decisions in the last couple of seasons have been poor but he has also been let down by the players. In his six seasons two were brilliant and two were good, noone can reasonably deny that he has been our best manager ever and provided us with an unforgettable, unmatchable period from August 2005 until May 2007. Sad that it had to end like this but in a few years' time people will only remember the great times.

Honourable and dignified man as well, refused to join in the shit-slinging at any time. Hopefully he can come back to us with another club so that he gets the standing ovation he deserves, it's a shame it had to end like this without even a chance to say goodbye.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 May 2009 00:24

I feel really emotional. Was just talking to my mate after the match and I knew he would go as he is as honest as they come.

Looking forward to the next chapter.

Thank you Sir Steve - for what you have achieved we are eternally grateful...amen :wink:

188 posts