Coppell has gone

188 posts
Russell Street

Re: Coppell has gone

by Russell Street » 13 May 2009 00:24

Ups and Downs I guess it was obvious but I feel really sad all of a sudden.

Somehings been lacking in the past couple of seasons but he'll always be the best manager we've ever had and are ever likely to have.

I'm 28 and if we better a top 8 finish in the Premier League in my life time then i'll eat my kids.

God speed, Sir Steve.

^ zactly. :cry:

'cept the bit about being 28. And having any kids to eat.

Thanks Sir Steve for a tremendous ride in my footballing life.

reading fc rock leroylero

by reading fc rock leroylero » 13 May 2009 00:25

Im scared. :cry:

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 13 May 2009 00:25

Sorry way to finish the season and the management era for Reading's best Manager. Thanks for all the memories.

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 13 May 2009 00:26

Gutted, although obviously knowing Coppell it was entirely expected.

Thanks Steve, not just for the results (which were astounding) but for being a guy that I was proud to see representing my club. It's no wonder that he's earned the respect of just about everyone in football.

In 50 years time there will be a stand named after you.

Whoever we get in it will be a crushing come down.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 13 May 2009 00:26

Thank you for the two amazing seasons Steve, nobody will take those away, but it's unfortunate that you came up short in being able to take the next step - I hope you get another job in the Football League, where you are a slightly above average manager, just not the man to take our club forward.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 May 2009 00:26

earleyroyal Was always gonna happen at the end of this season, I think it was for the best that he stayed on after relegation and held the team together but a new start is needed. Some of his decisions in the last couple of seasons have been poor but he has also been let down by the players. In his six seasons two were brilliant and two were good, noone can reasonably deny that he has been our best manager ever and provided us with an unforgettable, unmatchable period from August 2005 until May 2007. Sad that it had to end like this but in a few years' time people will only remember the great times.

Honourable and dignified man as well, refused to join in the shit-slinging at any time. Hopefully he can come back to us with another club so that he gets the standing ovation he deserves, it's a shame it had to end like this without even a chance to say goodbye.

+1.

Big Foot
Hob Nob Addict

by Big Foot » 13 May 2009 00:27

End of an era.

Outlived his shelf life by 12 months however, which slightly taints the excellent memories from 2005-2007.

For every 107 points season, beating Liverpool, drawing with United, finishing 8th in the Prem there's a Bas Savage right wing experiment, 3 consecutive 3-0 defeats over Xmas to Palace, Stoke & Wimbledon, the consistency of having a poor January-March run in form.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 13 May 2009 00:27

Goodbye Steve - I Love you man - your like a brother.

I cried a bit.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 May 2009 00:27

and a brief one from Dr Who. :?

I just recognise that we're not the team I grew up with. We're bigger and we have so much potential. The strength comes from the foundations in place - stadium, youth and training facilities. As long as we have some sense of continuity, I am not all that worried.

I honestly do not see Coppell as the be all and end all. Whilst I accept and appreciate that he did do, in those two seasons, the unrepeatable, it is not beyond us to finish this high again.
Last edited by papereyes on 13 May 2009 00:29, edited 1 time in total.

Alivey

by Alivey » 13 May 2009 00:28

it's hard to get over the shock that he won't be there next season.. he was like a father to the club always there for us and it will be strange not viewing his press conferences and such from now on.. just strange feeling.. feel empty.. like partof me is dead inside :(

yuomi

by yuomi » 13 May 2009 00:28

AlexY25
Thou Voice
Ideal we'd end up with Steve McLaren or that idiot who got sacked by Forest.

PLEASE GOD NO.

Hes too good for us.

+1 hes just got a bunch of nobodies to 2nd in the erste. never going to come back here for a championship team in serious need of an overhaul. funny accent or no funny accent.

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 13 May 2009 00:29

The MVP
Mike Hunt Goodbye Steve - I Love you man - your like a brother.

I cried a bit.

ghey

No your ghey mother hucker!

Most Valuable Penis.

Pcunt

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 May 2009 00:31

papereyes and a brief one from Dr Who. :?

I just recognise that we're not the team I grew up with. We're bigger and we have so much potential. The strength comes from the foundations in place - stadium, youth and training facilities. As long as we have some sense of continuity, I am not all that worried.

I honestly do not see Coppell as the be all and end all. Whilst I accept and appreciate that he did do, in those two seasons, the unrepeatable, it is not beyond us to finish this high again.

I can't wait to finish 8th in the Prem :wink:

I think the thing about it is we have lost a man of total dignity and calmness.

As I said am looking forward to the next chapter.

nickbob_sexypants

by nickbob_sexypants » 13 May 2009 00:32

Very sad day really.

Have to move on now, Reading have some good youth players coming through it seems, plus the quality of players like Tabb and Matejovsky (if they stay) to base the club on.

S.Hunt and co can move on and be a part of a once successful team, but they are not the future of the club.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 13 May 2009 00:32

*this* not *that*

and being given lip from a man outwitted by Burnley fans. :|

( :wink: )

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 13 May 2009 00:33

The biggest tragedy in the history of RFC.

I'm gutted beyond words.

I hope to God I'm wrong but hello Championship mediocrity and League 1.

Goodbye the days of 4th position in the championship being seen as a failure by clueless f*cking retards.

Hello to the days of staying up in the Championship being regarded as a good season.

I'm lost for words.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 May 2009 00:35

papereyes *this* not *that*

and being given lip from a man outwitted by Burnley fans. :|

( :wink: )

At least I made a gallant effort. I went down with the ship just like Coppell as an impeccable captain did but an hour and quarter later... :wink:

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 13 May 2009 00:52

Hate to sound extreme, but our messiah has gone :(

While I did see it coming, I just didn't expect it so soon after the match. I'm shocked but not surprised, yet it still hurts to see a man who truly put Reading FC on the football map to have gone. He'll be forever remembered in the eyes of fans... is truly gutting. Good luck with the future Sir Steve Coppell, you'll always remembered as one of the best managers to have served Reading. :cry:

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 May 2009 01:05

Ideal
2 world wars, 1 world cup The biggest tragedy in the history of RFC.

I'm gutted beyond words.

I hope to God I'm wrong but hello Championship mediocrity and League 1.

Goodbye the days of 4th position in the championship being seen as a failure by clueless f*cking retards.

Hello to the days of staying up in the Championship being regarded as a good season.

I'm lost for words.

+1

We had a great season, bit of a slump towards the end, but we could have built on this. Instead the clueless f*ckers hounded our Steve out of the club, with boos and negativity, slowly but surely pressuring him to go.
Countless threads on this forum begging for him to go.

These clueless fcuktards will surely be the first to post countless threads on how the New Manager must go after only a few weeks of poor results.

Forgive these people, for they know not what they do.

Totally agree Ideal even if your language is a bit extreme.
Just watched Copps' post-match interview - deeply saddening in the amount of personal pain this has caused Coppell. For his sake I'm glad he's out of here...

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 13 May 2009 01:06

I'm glad Coppell decided to go, because if he hadn't, I'd've stood by him. He knew it was the right time.

I don't see why we can't go on competing at the top of the table, but it totally depends on who the new manager is. If we get a Bullivant-type, we will just plummet. Hopefully, plans have been in place for a while.

188 posts