Coppell has gone

188 posts
yuomi

Re: Coppell has gone

by yuomi » 13 May 2009 01:07

Ideal
2 world wars, 1 world cup The biggest tragedy in the history of RFC.

I'm gutted beyond words.

I hope to God I'm wrong but hello Championship mediocrity and League 1.

Goodbye the days of 4th position in the championship being seen as a failure by clueless f*cking retards.

Hello to the days of staying up in the Championship being regarded as a good season.

I'm lost for words.

+1

We had a great season, bit of a slump towards the end, but we could have built on this. Instead the clueless f*ckers hounded our Steve out of the club, with boos and negativity, slowly but surely pressuring him to go.
Countless threads on this forum begging for him to go.

These clueless fcuktards will surely be the first to post countless threads on how the New Manager must go after only a few weeks of poor results.

Forgive these people, for they know not what they do.

i wasnt ever against SSC and never wanted him out but i dont think what youve said is right or fair. judging by his reactions over the latter part of this season and certainly tonight this was a foregone conclusion. its easy to romanticise after the event and bemoan fans but i think he was always a bigger character than that. the hounders were certainly in the minority against those who could recognise the enormity of his achievments for the club, its profile and, i like to think, its future successes.

his contract has always been up this summer and he has shown little to no interest in renewing it. i think, for him, the job had run it's course. as he said, and especially on the basis of he 2nd half (rather than the latter part as you say) of the season, things didnt go his or the teams way for one reason or another. god bless him and long may his memory live on but i look forward to an exciting future of deveopment and success with whoever takes over. lets not paint this job as some poison chalice undone by its own support.

cos thats bullshit.

JezD

by JezD » 13 May 2009 01:10

I just want to thank Sir Steve for everything he's done for our club. He's the best thing that's ever happened to this club and will be hard to follow. Have to wish him the best of luck in whatever he does next...

Now, time to see what happens to us next season, after all, will the mass of our squad will follow Steve out the door? I think so.

Interesting times ahead of us!

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 13 May 2009 01:19

Royalee
papereyes Didn't we achieve 4th under a 'far inferior' manager, once?

The next manager will get us into the playoffs, if not promoted.

We're a bigger, better club now than when Steve took over. We've pushed ourselves beyond what we've ever achieved before and it will be done again. Under Steve Coppell, we had two fantastic seasons and, for that, he'll always be regarded as a RFC legend.

But attend carefully now:

This is not the end.

This is not even the beginning of the end.

This is the start of something new.

I remember Charlton fans daid that when Curbs left. Be carefull what you wish for.

Spot on.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 13 May 2009 01:20

He was always going to go so no surprise.

Took us places we never thought we'd go, and for that we should be thankful. Doubt we'll see his like again.

floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

by floyd__streete » 13 May 2009 01:21

Ideal We had a great season, bit of a slump towards the end, but we could have built on this. Instead the clueless f*ckers hounded our Steve out of the club, with boos and negativity, slowly but surely pressuring him to go.

Jesus wept. At the games I attended - almost all of them this season - his name was sung long and hard, he even came over to the travelling fans at Blackpool to thank us. To suggest that he has been hounded out is absolute bunkum; even his fiercest critics have total respect for what he achieved for us in the past. If he is likely to be offended by threads on here then he doesn't have the mental strength to be a football manager. He doesn't strike me as the kind of bloke who stares long into cyberspace, nervously glancing at the every key stroke of the armchair football manager. He has hinted long and hard for some time now about wanting a break from football, that should be your biggest clue.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 May 2009 01:21

Thank you Steve. A gentleman and a legend.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 13 May 2009 01:22

With the dryest wit out there. :D

Scrappy

by Scrappy » 13 May 2009 01:28

Have been chucked out of a bar. Very pissed. Sad Copps has gone. Absolute oxf*rd legend. Sad day for the club. Good luck God in your future antics. Cheers for the memories. MK Dons are shit.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 13 May 2009 01:32

The Prisoner
The MVP LETS ALL HAVE A DISCO,
LETS ALL HAVE A DISCO,
NAH NAAH NAH NAA!
HEY!
NAH NAAH NAH NAA!
HEY!

You utter utter cock.

Agreed.

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 13 May 2009 01:35

The MVP just doesn't know when to stop. He isn't, nor will ever be, a true football fan.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 13 May 2009 01:39

^^ Don't feed him

Sad day for RFC,the King is dead, long live the King...

All the more embarrassing that there wasn't a single chant of "Stevie Coppell's Blue and White Army" tonight

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 13 May 2009 02:06

Thank you Sir Steve for the memories. Farewell.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 13 May 2009 02:20

I'm gutted beyond words.

Goodbye the days of 4th position in the championship being seen as a failure by clueless f*cking retards.

Hello to the days of staying up in the Championship being regarded as a good season.

I'm lost for words.

Agreed.

there are going to be a whole lot of people begging for Coppell to come back around Dec/Jan when we are comfortably sitting in the bottom 8

Woodcote Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Woodcote Royal » 13 May 2009 02:26

We should never forget the huge debt we owe to the thoroughly decent man that is Steve Coppell. He was responsible for the two most stunning seasons any of us are likely to witness in our life times.

However, this shouldn't allow his apologists to dismiss the two following seasons of abject failure, culminating in the failure to win any of our last 9 homes games.

Make no mistake, this represented under achievement on a grand a scale and it's simply laughable for some to suggest that no other manager could have done any better.

There's a bloke at Burnley who seems to be doing very nicely on a fraction of the resources made available to Steve Coppell and which he regularly elected not to utilise. :|

With the benefit of hindsight, and as I always feared would prove to be the case, he should have left 12 months ago.

I've found the last few months nothing short of unbearable to watch but now look forward to moving on with a new a man who can get the best out of an impressive bunch of youngster's.

The very best of luck for the future, Steve, but it really didn't need to end this way, sorry.

yuomi

by yuomi » 13 May 2009 02:40

The whole year inn

I'm gutted beyond words.

I'm lost for words.

Agreed.

there are going to be a whole lot of people begging for Coppell to come back around Dec/Jan when we are comfortably sitting in the bottom 8

twaddle.

see woodcote royal's post.

if you think another summer of steve would have solved the problems that are plaguing this team then you are deluded. if the form of the last three months was replicated over the season we would have been relegated. and, on tonights showing, that form doesnt seem to be going anywhere.

noone pushed him, noone drove him out. i, like you, value his successes and laud him for the wonderful things he has done for this club. where we differ is that i see the need for someone new to come and save us from this funk that seems to have set over the club. there are no quick fixes and it will take time and money. but god knows thats worth it if we can start winning at home again.

Paul Cowin

by Paul Cowin » 13 May 2009 04:08

I'm sorry that he has gone, but not surprised.
He has taken the club as far as he can.

Just think of the poor Reading fans who suffered ignominity all their lives, never seeing their beloved Reading play in the top flight.

Steve gave us that chance, finishing 8th was beyond our wildest dreams.

I don't think I will see that again in my lifetime.

Our only chance is if JM puts his hands dep into his pocket and forks out some decent wages for a good manager.

Curbishley would be my personal choice.

There are a few Managers out of work who would love the job but I would not want them

Sanchez
Hoddle
Souness
Adams
Pardew...no way back I hope
Ince

Curbishley walked away from West Ham, established Charlton as a mid-table Premiership team and saved WH from relegation.

Without a doubt he IS THE MAN

I really hope we can get him

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 13 May 2009 04:09

Paul Cowin
Curbishley walked away from West Ham, established Charlton as a mid-table Premiership team and saved WH from relegation.

Without a doubt he IS THE MAN

I really hope we can get him

Wouldn't join us.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 13 May 2009 05:27

To all those celebrating SSC's departure, I hope that the grass we find is greener.

Whilst his departure was always likely at the end of this campaign, let us remember that this is the man who led us to 4 of our highest ever finishes in a 6 seasons here.

For Steve Coppell stand up

JimmyQuinn'sQuiff

by JimmyQuinn'sQuiff » 13 May 2009 05:46

"Whilst his departure was always likely at the end of this campaign, let us remember that this is the man who led us to 4 of our highest ever finishes in a 6 seasons here. "

I think that sums it up.

Coppell, gave us something felt like a pipe-dream. Several times over.

sincerely hope this isn't 1994-5 all over again

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 13 May 2009 07:02

Just woke up and heard the news. I'd been thinking that for some time he'd be off at the end of this season regardless, but last night on his post-match interview he was almost intimating that he would stay so long as John Madejski wasn't planning on selling up. He was going to chat to him and make a decision. Clearly nothing Sir John said made him want to stay.

I wish him all the best and he'll always be remembered as a man of inegrity who took us to the top.

It's into the unknown now.

188 posts