New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by The Rouge » 13 May 2009 22:00

and Mourihno said recently if he ever worked in England again he would want Rodgers as his number 2...

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 13 May 2009 22:02

I'm with Plymouth Royal.

My vote would go to Brian McDermott.

I am a great admirer of what he has done, quietly and without fuss, bringing success to Royals' reserve team. he will be well acquainted, too, with our promising young players coming through the Academy.

Also, he must have a network of contacts through his scouting work.

A dark horse, admittedly, but surely one to consider.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2009 22:05

I have no illusions that I am knowledgable enough about different managers to sy who should get the job, although I've always rated Curbishley.

One thig I will say for certain is I think we need a fresh perspective so the manager MUST come from outside the club and not be someone promoted from inside. Sorry to Wally, Dil, Dolan and McDermott, but that's what we really need IMO.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 13 May 2009 22:05

The whole year inn Carlton Palmer has applied :lol: :|

You kidding me right? :?

Kites

by Kites » 13 May 2009 22:06

Hoddle will do.

royalrose

by royalrose » 13 May 2009 22:07

according to http://bestfreebets.net/betting_news/fo ... ting-odds/

paddy power are saying that aidy boothroyd was at our game last night and also sky bet have cut the odds on brendan rodgers right down as they believe the punters think it will definately be him it said that on sky sports

Chaney
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Chaney » 13 May 2009 22:10

glass half full I'm with Plymouth Royal.

so was red rum, but I never wanted him to be our manager either :mrgreen:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 13 May 2009 22:11

royalrose according to http://bestfreebets.net/betting_news/fo ... ting-odds/

paddy power are saying that aidy boothroyd was at our game last night and also sky bet have cut the odds on brendan rodgers right down as they believe the punters think it will definately be him it said that on sky sports

Of course he was at the game, he was a pundit on sky ffs!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 13 May 2009 22:11

The Rouge and Mourihno said recently if he ever worked in England again he would want Rodgers as his number 2...

So if Mourihno comes back to England, Rodgers would leave.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 13 May 2009 22:11

It is clear we are not going to be making any more big money signings whilst Mr Mad is in charge, thus we will be selling Doyle, SHunt, etc, and making do with the promising academy players. A number of them have a future here for sure.

Mr Mad likes the cheap option, so what could be better than promoting Eamonn Dolan? He knows the academy inside out, has no loyalty to the current 1st team so will have no qualms dropping/shipping out the billy big bollox amongst them, and if I recall kept Exeter afloat pretty much single handedly on four pence halfpenny.

He knows the current coaching and science staff, knows Mr Mad and how the club works, so we get a level of continuity whilst also having a chance to cut the deadwood. Don't forget, Mr Mad will nt want to fork out compensation for a wholesale change in staff that might be tried by someone else coming in.

No brainer as far as I can see.

No, the real thoughts will move to when Mr Mad leaves the club. Then we will see a different attitude, assuming whoever he sells to has some money.

Oh, and Brendan Rodgers has a quandry. Yes, he qualifies under much of the guff I've written above, but if Moronyo does come back to English football, he wants BR on his staff. Does BR then risk the wrath of Mr Mad by doing a Parjudas in 2 years time or so? Wouldn;t have thought Mr Mad would accpet that possibility. So money's on Mr Dolan.

Kites

by Kites » 13 May 2009 22:13

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 May 2009 22:13

clauski I'm a little confused by the number of people wanting Brendan Rodgers. Is it just because he used to run the Academy? Because his actual football managament experience comprises a 42% win rate in 31 games. More than a little untested and no indicator why he should be any better than say Parky just because he used to play for us (and also wouldn't be the right choice).

I think Boothroyd or Sanchez could be solid options given their track records, Hoddle given the name and early achievements. The only name I can think that would really excite me is Martinez but I think we would struggle to prise him away from Swansea or indeed stop another club coming in ahead of us.

At last some sense. Rodgers is totally unproven in management. Lets see how Watford fare next season with him in charge. Bet they struggle.
Curbishley or Martinez for me.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 13 May 2009 22:14

clauski I'm a little confused by the number of people wanting Brendan Rodgers. Is it just because he used to run the Academy? Because his actual football managament experience comprises a 42% win rate in 31 games. More than a little untested and no indicator why he should be any better than say Parky just because he used to play for us (and also wouldn't be the right choice).

I think Boothroyd or Sanchez could be solid options given their track records, Hoddle given the name and early achievements. The only name I can think that would really excite me is Martinez but I think we would struggle to prise him away from Swansea or indeed stop another club coming in ahead of us.

At last some sense. Rodgers is totally unproven in management. Lets see how Watford fare next season with him in charge. Bet they struggle.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 13 May 2009 22:15

1. Jose Mourinho
2. Arsene Wenger
3. Fabio Capello

glass half full
Hob Nob Regular
Location: If you see someone without a smile..... give him one of yours!

by glass half full » 13 May 2009 22:19

Chaney
glass half full I'm with Plymouth Royal.

so was red rum, but I never wanted him to be our manager either :mrgreen:

I think he was successful, though.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 13 May 2009 22:25

PEARCEY

Totally unproven? i think you meant to say 'relatively inexperienced in league management.'

Rodgers has been successful with the Reading academy, the chelsea academy, Chelsea reserves (Shevchenko, Mikel, Bridge and Mancienne regulars), and steers Watford well away from safety, winning nearly half his games.

That is not totally unproven im afraid.

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 13 May 2009 22:26

Ian Royal
loyalroyal what is all this about rodgers? why? i dont get why we are bing linked with him

Because he was our Academy coach and largely responsible for the early development of the players now breaking into the first team. He is extremely highly regarded, believes in playing good football and is doing a pretty good job at Watford currently.

boring m8, I want a well known name

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 13 May 2009 22:28

Boothroyd over rated, Curbishley just a poor man's Redknapp and if he was that good wouldn't have been out of a job for so long. Parky, legend but no, Sanchez no thanks. Rodgers not sure about but it would be nice to see him bring in some of the players he's known since they were kids and maybe get the best out of them. Unfortunately if we haven't qualified for the champions league within two seasons the knives would be out.

Would like to see Martinez but can't see him leaving Swansea. MK Dons seem to play some good stuff under Di Matteo.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 13 May 2009 22:29

Brendan Rodgers with backroom staff of eamon dolan and brian mcdermott

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 13 May 2009 22:29

Curbishley IS RUBBISH!!!

1747 posts