New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Terminal Boardom » 13 May 2009 22:33

loyalroyal Curbishley IS RUBBISH!!!

And how do you come to that conclusion?

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 13 May 2009 22:35

I'm not saying I want Curbishley, but he's certainly not rubbish. He was successful at both Charlton and West Ham. And may I add that he took Charlton out of the championship and kept that unpretentious club in the premier for years without a great deal of money to spend. I would not say no.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 13 May 2009 22:39

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 13 May 2009 22:49

Rodgers clear favourite is all over the watford press...

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 13 May 2009 22:50

The whole year inn Rodgers clear favourite is all over the watford press...

boring appointment m8

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 13 May 2009 22:52

loyalroyal

boring appointment m8

and Coppell wasn't?

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 13 May 2009 22:54

It will be David O'Leary.

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 13 May 2009 22:54

Focher
loyalroyal

boring appointment m8

and Coppell wasn't?

No.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 13 May 2009 23:01

Ossie Ardilles

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 13 May 2009 23:03

You've got a short memory. LOL at any of our exciting managerial appointments.

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 13 May 2009 23:08

Whore Jackie You've got a short memory. LOL at any of our exciting managerial appointments.

whatever m8

Tinrib

by Tinrib » 13 May 2009 23:15

SteveRoyal http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528,11688_5321800,00.html

Gus Poyet please. :)

"I think it's a massive club," he told Sky Sports News.

:|

loyalroyal

by loyalroyal » 13 May 2009 23:18

Tinrib

What should he say? I think it's a medium sized club who's only vocal support comes from the top corner of one stand, they cant sell out a playoff semi final and most of the fans are plastic who like clappers and tom hark?

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 13 May 2009 23:19

loyalroyal
Tinrib

What should he say? I think it's a medium sized club who's only vocal support comes from the top corner of one stand, they cant sell out a playoff semi final and most of the fans are plastic who like clappers and tom hark?

Touche.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 13 May 2009 23:25

Starfish It will be David O'Leary.

God no! :evil:

Starfish
Hob Nob Regular

by Starfish » 13 May 2009 23:54

RoyalBird

God no! :evil:

According to a report in The Evening Herald in Dublin. I don't have a link but I'll type it out ...

"Through his close links with Liam Brady, he has managed to stay in touch with many regulars on the Republic of Ireland squad. Although senior members, such as Robbie Keane, were openly opposed to his being appointed to the position currently occupied by Giovanni Trappatoni, Reading's Kevin Doyle, when interviewed by The Irish Independent ahead of Ireland's clash against Italy earlier this year, claimed that the Arsenal legend was one manager he would one day love to work with. 'He was very successful with young players when he was at Leeds there and you've got to respect a manager of that calibre. Most of the lads here have lots of time for him and some of his advice has been spot on over the past year or two.' Another reading regular, Noel Hunt, has had contact with O'Leary since his time with Shamrock Rovers. 'Pierce (his brother) played for The Hoops too and I've always sort of got on well with them ... maybe because of that. I have to admit that he played a big part in my moving south at the beginning of the season.' O'Leary has been out of work since being sacked by Aston Villa in 2006 and when asked by The Evening Herald today if Reading was a club he would be interested in managing, he was very positive. 'Definitely,' he stated. 'They've got a great chairman, great fans and a great group of players, many of whom I already know personally. It would be a challenge, but it's one I would definitely be ready for.' According to sources close to The Evening Herald, O'Leary is expected to speak to Reading's chairman, John Madejski, over the weekend. Madejski was unavailable for comment but is thought to want a replacement for Steve Coppell in place as soon as possible."

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 14 May 2009 00:01

Thats what i heard as well hope not rather have curbs or A NEW CHAIRMAN WHO WILL SPEND MONEY ON PLAYERS AND A TOP MANAGER LIKE SVEN 8)

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 14 May 2009 00:14

PEARCEY
clauski I'm a little confused by the number of people wanting Brendan Rodgers. Is it just because he used to run the Academy? Because his actual football managament experience comprises a 42% win rate in 31 games. More than a little untested and no indicator why he should be any better than say Parky just because he used to play for us (and also wouldn't be the right choice).

I think Boothroyd or Sanchez could be solid options given their track records, Hoddle given the name and early achievements. The only name I can think that would really excite me is Martinez but I think we would struggle to prise him away from Swansea or indeed stop another club coming in ahead of us.

At last some sense. Rodgers is totally unproven in management. Lets see how Watford fare next season with him in charge. Bet they struggle.
Curbishley or Martinez for me.

TOTALLY UNPROVEN? Does that mean he didn't manage Watford?

He managed them for 27 league games

His first 9 league games in charge, taking over a "relegation side" were W2 D2 L5 9-15 = 8 Points 0.89 ppg (the equivalent of a 41 point season) RELEGATED

(in that 9 they played 3 top-half sides Reading (4th), Bristol 10th, QPR (11th) )

His next 18 league games were W9 D4 L5 30-21 = 31 points 1.72 ppg (the equivalent of a 79 point season) FOURTH

(in that 18 they played EIGHT top-half sides Sheffield Utd (3rd), Burnley (5th), Wolves (Top), Swansea (8th), Cardiff (7th), Birmingham (2nd), Ipswich (9th), Wednesday (12th)

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 14 May 2009 00:15

Interesting that a lot of betting websites have pulled their 'next reading manager' markets, guess something will happen pretty soon

clauski

by clauski » 14 May 2009 01:11

Snowball When he took over at Watford they were fourth-bottom with 19 points from 19 games

He turned the team around (read the Watford Forum) and the side managed 39 points from their next 27 games.

Reading, with (we presume) a MUCH better squad) managed to accrue 43 points in the same 29 games

But it must have taken a few games for Rodgers' ideas to start to work. Look at his record in 2009

At the start of the year, Watford were on 27 points, 19th, 24 points and 17 places behind Reading (2nd)

At the season's end Watford were on 58 points, 13th, (31 points from 20 games = 71.3 points season) 19 points and 9 places behind Reading.

They also beat Scunthorpe and Palace in the FA Cup and played very well versus Chelsea (losing 1-3)

I'm not saying he would be a bad choice, but we don't really know as he is unproven - he's been a league manager for only half a season. I think you need longer to judge - eg Parky was great at Colchester but it hasn't worked out well elsewhwere. Dowie for example was great at Palace but dreadful elsewhere. With that added knowledge we wouldn't appoint either of them now. That's why I'm surprised by the adulation for Rodgers, great potential though he may have. And call me cynical but I'm not sure the plaudits allegedly bestowed upon him from Mourinho are not just good PR lines rather than real statements. He could of course be our saviour, who knows...

1747 posts