New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
elrey

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by elrey » 14 May 2009 08:21

Think about it. We have had three successful managers since Mr Mad turned up. We have also had some pretty bad ones.

He plucked Mark McGhee from nowhere, and he did well for us.
Then he took some players, like Quinn and Gooding, and they rode on the back of McGhee's team, and then messed up a little.
Then came the learning curve, TB1 and TB2, total failure. Then Pardew was plucked from even more obscurity, then Coppell.

So, chances are he will go for someone unknown, but maybe he has learnt from the coppell experience to take someone who did amazing work at previous clubs. Therefore it must be Guss Hiddink!, no wait, definatly not, but hey.

We've had one big name signing, and that was Burns, and he was a failure. So i don't think we will have a big name signing unless they have proven themselves, like Glenn Hoddle,

I reckon he will go for some sort of obscurity this time around, that won't work wonders, then he'll get Hiddink next time round (cough, yeah right)!

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 14 May 2009 08:23

My number one choice would certainly be Curbs.

Failing that, I would be almost as pleased with Brendan Rodgers. Especially if he brought some new faces into the back room. Dolan or, as a controversial idea, Tisdale (probably never happen) or Redknapp Jnr as his number 2.

Failing that, Ferguson Jnr or Ince please.

Rex
Hob Nob Addict

by Rex » 14 May 2009 08:25

Would it be so mad to think that Steve would offer input and guidance in this matter to SJM. This would not have been a rash decision by Steve to leave so careful groundwork would have been taken. I do not think Steve would leave this club without ensuring a suitable replacement was found with his blessing.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 May 2009 08:28

Snowball
PEARCEY
clauski I'm a little confused by the number of people wanting Brendan Rodgers. Is it just because he used to run the Academy? Because his actual football managament experience comprises a 42% win rate in 31 games. More than a little untested and no indicator why he should be any better than say Parky just because he used to play for us (and also wouldn't be the right choice).

I think Boothroyd or Sanchez could be solid options given their track records, Hoddle given the name and early achievements. The only name I can think that would really excite me is Martinez but I think we would struggle to prise him away from Swansea or indeed stop another club coming in ahead of us.

At last some sense. Rodgers is totally unproven in management. Lets see how Watford fare next season with him in charge. Bet they struggle.
Curbishley or Martinez for me.

TOTALLY UNPROVEN? Does that mean he didn't manage Watford?

He managed them for 27 league games

His first 9 league games in charge, taking over a "relegation side" were W2 D2 L5 9-15 = 8 Points 0.89 ppg (the equivalent of a 41 point season) RELEGATED

(in that 9 they played 3 top-half sides Reading (4th), Bristol 10th, QPR (11th) )

His next 18 league games were W9 D4 L5 30-21 = 31 points 1.72 ppg (the equivalent of a 79 point season) FOURTH

(in that 18 they played EIGHT top-half sides Sheffield Utd (3rd), Burnley (5th), Wolves (Top), Swansea (8th), Cardiff (7th), Birmingham (2nd), Ipswich (9th), Wednesday (12th)

Quite. People making silly statements about Brendan Rodgers being unsuitable because he is unproven are also overlooking the fact (maybe they are newbies!) that McGhee was completely unproven!

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 14 May 2009 08:33

The whole year inn Rodgers clear favourite is all over the watford press...

From the Watford Observer:

"During a live webchat with supporters on this wesite recently, Rodgers was asked if he would promise not to leave the Hornets for Reading this summer.

The 36-year-old replied: “I never promise anything in my life. All I know is that I'm in love with Watford and I've set out on a journey that I want to complete.“ "

Now what was it Pardew said at the fans forum?!

So long as we do it the right way and agree the move with Watford, Rodgers is the man for me!

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 14 May 2009 08:43

Dolan
Rodgers
Poyet
Curbishley

In that order.............

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 14 May 2009 08:54

I do not understand why the fans on this site want Dolan or Rodgers as the next RFC manager.

We need a total change at the club with the new manager and the backroom staff coming from the outside to generate some new ideas on how we should set up and play the game as the football we played as the season went on became predicatable with no flair at all the players were pawns on the chess baord.

the system played over the last few seasons has been drilled right through the team, reservers and academy, change is needed.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 14 May 2009 08:59

Rodgers in as manager - Coppell in as DOF and penpusher Hammond out on his ear!

Big issue for Reading attracting a decent manager is going to be their acceptance of Hammond as the DOF - which suggests that it will be an up and coming manager as opposed to a Curbishley- Coppell did it but we will never know if it was with open arms or whether it was grudgingly - Coppells press conference today is bound to be down the diplomatic route and save the faces of certain people within the club - its Coppells way of doing it

tlcs

by tlcs » 14 May 2009 09:00

THE BETTING MARKET HAS CLOSED

I THINK ROGERS WILL BE ANNOUNCED THE NEW MANAGER WITHIN 24 HOURS

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 14 May 2009 09:10

tlcs THE BETTING MARKET HAS CLOSED

Indeed it does appear to. I have checked all my usual places and the market is closed. That effectively means that somebody has been appointed.

They had just better be from the outside as if it is Dolan, I think I will cry.

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 14 May 2009 09:14

Would that not involve some allegation of 'tapping up'?
If we are announcing a new manager so quickly, would it not be somebody without a club?

tlcs

by tlcs » 14 May 2009 09:16

SAVE THE TISSUES

IT WILL DEFINITLY BE.........ROGERS

IM PLEASED WE HAVE MOVED SO QUICKLY , ROLL ON NEXT SEASON

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 May 2009 09:16

Dr Hfuhruhurr

If we are announcing a new manager so quickly, would it not be somebody without a club?

Not as long as Watford gave permission for us to talk to BR before we did - and that could easily be done in a day.

All details might not be agreed - but permission granted and us talking to him would be enough of an indication for the bookies to close their books.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 14 May 2009 09:17

Dr Hfuhruhurr

This is why I think it is Curbs or Poyet, or even Parksinson.

On aother thread (in case peeps miss it), the Mail is stating that Downes & Dillon have also been given the chop.

Very interesting........if it is true.

Pardsme

by Pardsme » 14 May 2009 09:17

Curbishley
Hoddle
Martinez - Wishful thinking!
Ferguson Jr - ditto!
Rodgers
Tisdale

In that order....if appoint within I will be gutted :evil: :evil:

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 14 May 2009 09:18

Bearing in mind how long this has been anticipated, it is possible that this move was sounded out previously with the usuual RFC keeping things quiet way of doing things. It would be folly to suggest that there is no succession planning in place.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 14 May 2009 09:18

Know someone who works at Paddy P - they withdrew their betting on this yesterday

Dr Hfuhruhurr

by Dr Hfuhruhurr » 14 May 2009 09:19

Dirk Gently
Dr Hfuhruhurr

Not as long as Watford gave permission for us to talk to BR before we did - and that could easily be done in a day.

All details might not be agreed - but permission granted and us talking to him would be enough of an indication for the bookies to close their books.

OK, sounds fair. Just seemed a quick turnaround in comparison to our last efforts to fill the post.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 14 May 2009 09:19

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Know someone who works at Paddy P - they withdrew their betting on this yesterday

We know that chap what we need to know is why? :wink:

kiwiroyal

by kiwiroyal » 14 May 2009 09:21

Please god not Curbs /Sanchez/O;Leary/Rodgers/Parky

AVRAM Grant

1747 posts