New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Negative_Jeff

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Negative_Jeff » 14 May 2009 13:04

Some applicants on the list may be reluctant to work at a club that has 4000 unsold tickets for a play off semi final.
Incidentally is the post being advertised,and is the position "Manager" or this trendy idea of "Head Coach"?

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 14 May 2009 13:41

Deathy
Royal Lady Shirley we wouldn't even consider McGhee or Pardew?? :o

Looking comfy.

Surely even you can see that isn't Madejski Stadium?
I wasn't referring to that picture - I meant the fact that both appear in the betting odds.

AlexY25
Hob Nob Regular

by AlexY25 » 14 May 2009 13:42

Negative_Jeff Some applicants on the list may be reluctant to work at a club that has 4000 unsold tickets for a play off semi final.
Incidentally is the post being advertised,and is the position "Manager" or this trendy idea of "Head Coach"?

Not many managers would care too much about not selling all the tickets to a play-off semi final game.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 14 May 2009 13:52

I have now sent my application in, Dear JM im kenny, i have played championship manager pro for 2 years now and im good , no realy im dam good puters dont lie, just letting you know i'm free and more than happy to Take the helm, the lads know me ...sorry may of heard me screaming my nads off at em in the past from the vocal rows of y26 i shop at Waitrose and would expect a lttle discount as renumeration for me efforts i am aiming for the Champions league for 2011 of which with a little imput of spondooleys to get some better players im sure you can cough up, i know i can get Ronaldo Drogba with out any probs and Haka and easliy cover the expenses with the sale of SHUNT and Doyla, sorry we will have to carboot USA perhaps throw in Kitson on a BOGOFF deal, what da fink let me know cheers.
Last edited by westongeezer on 14 May 2009 14:01, edited 1 time in total.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 14 May 2009 13:54

Royal Lady I wasn't referring to that picture - I meant the fact that both appear in the betting odds.

It's easy to link names.

westongeezer

by westongeezer » 14 May 2009 14:03

Negative_Jeff Some applicants on the list may be reluctant to work at a club that has 4000 unsold tickets for a play off semi final.

Wigan! they can't sell any tickets period and had no problems.

Barnabas

by Barnabas » 14 May 2009 14:36

westongeezer I have now sent my application in, Dear JM im kenny, i have played championship manager pro for 2 years now and im good , no realy im dam good puters dont lie, just letting you know i'm free and more than happy to Take the helm

No chance weston, anyone can be successful at Championship Manager. You need experience in the real world of football, and I may well submit my application for the job.

I have managed a team in the South Chiltern. Admittedly we didn’t win anything, but this was down to sleepovers, birthday parties, players going to spend the weekend with their dad, parents reluctance to drive players to away games and my captain being grounded on a regular basis, rather than any lack of ability on my part. In fact I possess superb managerial qualities, with the ability to constantly question the refs decisions and argue with the linesman over every offside. Whilst I haven’t had any experience with players agents, I have dealt with stroppy parents / grandparents / same sex life partners on a regular basis. I can also assemble a mini soccer goal blindfold on a freezing January morning, and have no problem in clearing dog shit off the pitch. I am used to working on a limited budget, as I rarely asked for new footballs, bibs or cones. I never paid any signing on fees or wages, although I did give the players selection boxes and easter eggs, and took them bowling occasionally. My coaching skills are excellent, and I can still remember some of the drills I did on my FA Level 1 coaching course.

I would have no problem working for a club that had 4000 unsold tickets for a playoff semi, as I am happy if the attendance gets into double figures.

I would, however, demand funding for a more powerful server for HNA.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 14 May 2009 14:38

West Stand Man I can see Murty joining the coaching staff, but not yet as a manager. He'll be there one day though.

I can't - his future career is being lined up as a media pundit/presenter, rather than as a coach//manager. Otherwise he'd be doing coaching badges instead of guesting on football shows.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 14 May 2009 14:40

Nice one Barnabas!!

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 14 May 2009 14:52

Strangely Terry Venables hasn't made any of the lists - a first in almost two decades Shirley?

No Hoops
Hob Nob Regular

by No Hoops » 14 May 2009 14:56

It's going to be Glenn Hoddle.

I hear that due to cut backs they can only afford two new letters for the Managers door. Nigel Howe in his wisdom has said if we get an H and turn the P's upside down we can do it by only buying 1 letter and we have a spare L to boot.

Elm Park Old Boy

by Elm Park Old Boy » 14 May 2009 14:57

Hammond as interim for six months while Sir Steve recharges the batteries.

Then a rejuvenated Coppell back please.

(I know it won't happen, but one can dream)

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 May 2009 14:58

Elm Park Old Boy Hammond as interim for six months while Sir Steve recharges the batteries.

Then a rejuvenated Coppell back please.

(I know it won't happen, but one can dream)

Sounds like a bloody nightmare to me.

Winvey

by Winvey » 14 May 2009 15:43

I can also assemble a mini soccer goal blindfold on a freezing January morning, and have no problem in clearing dog shit off the pitch

You'll have no problem getting rid of SHunt then!

Sorry, was way too easy!! :oops:

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 May 2009 20:01

Royal Rother Watford were in the relegation zone when he took over and they ended up 13th - that is a very good start to a managerial career.

He'll have more talent to work with here from the Academy upwards so I would imagine he'd relish the job. It's a perfect step up for him. (No disrespect to Watford intended.)

Yes but its only a start in his managerial career. On that basis Glenn Roeder has a terrific track record.
Rodgers has yet to complete a full season in managing a club and yet there is all this clamour for him.
Of course you can quote Pardew as being unproven and he went onto be successful here but what he has achieved since then? Unemployed now.
Rodgers has no proven record of successful management of a League side. Half a season at Watford isn't much of a managerial record to go with.
PS Royal Blue........Just because I dont happen to agree with your choice of our next manager it does not make me a newbie. Its my opinion so just live with it.

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 14 May 2009 20:03

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 14 May 2009 20:06

If you read the actual quotes in that article you'll not see him categorically deny it. Doesn't really carry much weight to be fair.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 14 May 2009 20:09

Typical respone from Rodgers. It's not like he's gonna come out and categorically say he wants the job, as he may end up stuck at Watford with unhappy supporters in the stands.

In no place does he actually say that he was 100% sure he wasn't going to go, and IIRC Pardew came out with the same stuff before he left.

PEARCEY
Hob Nob Addict

by PEARCEY » 14 May 2009 20:26

Focher
PEARCEY
clauski I'm a little confused by the number of people wanting Brendan Rodgers. Is it just because he used to run the Academy? Because his actual football managament experience comprises a 42% win rate in 31 games. More than a little untested and no indicator why he should be any better than say Parky just because he used to play for us (and also wouldn't be the right choice).

I think Boothroyd or Sanchez could be solid options given their track records, Hoddle given the name and early achievements. The only name I can think that would really excite me is Martinez but I think we would struggle to prise him away from Swansea or indeed stop another club coming in ahead of us.

At last some sense. Rodgers is totally unproven in management. Lets see how Watford fare next season with him in charge. Bet they struggle.
Curbishley or Martinez for me.

Totally unproven? i think you meant to say 'relatively inexperienced in league management.'

Rodgers has been successful with the Reading academy, the chelsea academy, Chelsea reserves (Shevchenko, Mikel, Bridge and Mancienne regulars), and steers Watford well away from safety, winning nearly half his games.

That is not totally unproven im afraid.

I'm afraid it is to me...unless you seriously think half a season as a League manager is a serious proven track record. If you do then I most certainly beg to differ.

percy_freeman

by percy_freeman » 14 May 2009 20:42

Pardew was a wa**er
He wore a wa**ers hat
But now Sir Steve has lost the plot
I'll gladly have him back!

1747 posts