New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Super_horns
Hob Nob Regular

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Super_horns » 14 May 2009 20:44

Royalee If you read the actual quotes in that article you'll not see him categorically deny it. Doesn't really carry much weight to be fair.

True...doesn't sound like he'll quit so to speak but will be interested if an offer is made and we don't mey his ambition.

exileinleeds
Hob Nob Addict

by exileinleeds » 14 May 2009 22:11

Royal Lady Shirley we wouldn't even consider McGhee or Pardew?? :o

Anyone who imagines that Pardew would be let back in the door seriously needs their head read. SJM is an astute business man- one who is not likely to give a second chance to someone who has already proved themselves to be untrustworty and unreliable. Wont stop the bookies taking the money though.

Onestuartbeavon

by Onestuartbeavon » 14 May 2009 22:30

Craig Levein. Like Owen Coyle, only better. Desperate to prove Leicester was a blip.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 14 May 2009 22:32

Onestuartbeavon Craig Levein. Like Owen Coyle, only better. Desperate to prove Leicester was a blip.

:shock:

Did you ever see his Leicester teams play?!

Onestuartbeavon

by Onestuartbeavon » 14 May 2009 22:39

Just once, when they were comfortably beaten in the promotion season (but weren't everyone), but Dundee United are playing the best football in Scotland. he can never win anything but keeps finding players that theOld Firm, and Reading want.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 14 May 2009 22:43

I am not too fussed who the manager is. The only conditions that I would like to see him fulfill are that we play fast flowing, passing football and that he is a strong enough character and personality not to pander to the over inflated egos in the club. Then again, having to spend a second season in the Championship may just be the wake up call that they need.

Friday's Child

by Friday's Child » 14 May 2009 22:48

SteveRoyal http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/4370333.Watford_boss_Rodgers_distances_himself_from_Reading_job/

Doesn't look like it'll happen.

On the contrary, he quotes like a man who knows a good job opportunity but recognises he's one of many good candidates for it. If I was a West Ham fan, I'd read this that he was in the final 2 or 3 being considered

Horsham Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Horsham Royal » 14 May 2009 23:01

Friday's Child
SteveRoyal http://www.watfordobserver.co.uk/sport/4370333.Watford_boss_Rodgers_distances_himself_from_Reading_job/

On the contrary, he quotes like a man who knows a good job opportunity but recognises he's one of many good candidates for it. If I was a West Ham fan, I'd read this that he was in the final 2 or 3 being considered
Up the Hammers ...

marettes

by marettes » 14 May 2009 23:05

Crikey! Just had a call from a friend in Bristol. He's a Bristol City supporter and very concerned that the word in the west country (following translation) is that we're after Gary Johnson. Surely not?

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 15 May 2009 02:02

marettes Crikey! Just had a call from a friend in Bristol. He's a Bristol City supporter and very concerned that the word in the west country (following translation) is that we're after Gary Johnson. Surely not?

the chairman's 'hands off' message was in their local paper recently..

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 May 2009 06:44

That is less convincing than anything Coppell said while he was at Brighton..............................

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 15 May 2009 06:48

marettes Crikey! Just had a call from a friend in Bristol. He's a Bristol City supporter and very concerned that the word in the west country (following translation) is that we're after Gary Johnson. Surely not?

This is just me winding up the Wurzels to make myself feel better.

Sorry for any alarm caused. :wink:

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 May 2009 07:28

Once again i put forward Ryan Giggs.

We would need to go and get him tho, rather than sit back and wait for him to come to us.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 15 May 2009 08:22

PEARCEY
Royal Rother Watford were in the relegation zone when he took over and they ended up 13th - that is a very good start to a managerial career.

He'll have more talent to work with here from the Academy upwards so I would imagine he'd relish the job. It's a perfect step up for him. (No disrespect to Watford intended.)

Yes but its only a start in his managerial career. On that basis Glenn Roeder has a terrific track record.
Rodgers has yet to complete a full season in managing a club and yet there is all this clamour for him.
Of course you can quote Pardew as being unproven and he went onto be successful here but what he has achieved since then? Unemployed now.
Rodgers has no proven record of successful management of a League side. Half a season at Watford isn't much of a managerial record to go with.
PS Royal Blue........Just because I dont happen to agree with your choice of our next manager it does not make me a newbie. Its my opinion so just live with it.

The newbie remark wasn't aimed specifically at you and there was also a question mark after it!!

However, since you are a long established supporter, how come you forget to mention McGhee? Could it be because the fact he was completely untried/inexperienced as both a coach and manager and yet went on to bring us great success doesn't fit in with your argument?! He's still employed too!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2009 08:37

We could do a lot worse.

Johnson has had City play quite decent a style of football, hasn't spent too much, and been pretty successful at the same time.

He did very well with Yoevil too, getting them two promotions.

He always comes over as a pretty decent and honest manager who doesn't make excuses too and shows a bit of Coppell like integrity.

He'd probably be on my short list if I were Hammond.

Blue Biscuit

by Blue Biscuit » 15 May 2009 09:04

Surely we will wait until the Premiership season has finished before appointing anyone. There might be one or two half-decent candidates who lose their jobs as a result of a poor season. Wouldn't want Tony Mowbray but Gareth Southgate anyone..?

boy1985

by boy1985 » 15 May 2009 09:08

I saw Phil Scolari doing the samba with Mr Madjeski this morning.

Coincidence? I think not.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 May 2009 09:12

I'm still pretty sure it could be Curbishley.

Hugo Boss
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Hugo Boss » 15 May 2009 09:18

John Salako is the latest name being bandied about. Has taken his badges apparently and is close to the Chairman.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 May 2009 09:19

Blue Biscuit Surely we will wait until the Premiership season has finished before appointing anyone. There might be one or two half-decent candidates who lose their jobs as a result of a poor season. Wouldn't want Tony Mowbray but Gareth Southgate anyone..?

Not when we've got a whole list of players with question marks hanging over them for contarcts next year. Who will decide those?

1747 posts