New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: who do you want as our next manager?

by Royal Lady » 15 May 2009 09:19

I'll bet you £50 that says Salako won't get the job.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 15 May 2009 09:20

Royal Lady I'll bet you £50 that says Salako won't get the job.

+1

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 15 May 2009 09:23

I think after reading what brendan rodgers said, it will be him!!

No1 has mentioned gary johnston at all?

Tilehurst Mike

by Tilehurst Mike » 15 May 2009 09:26

Royal Lady I'll bet you £50 that says Salako won't get the job.

I expect Salako is being lined up as a replacement for Kebe or Shunt. Experienced and cheap!!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 May 2009 09:36

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 May 2009 09:44

Where's the clear sign then? The fact that he's proud to be linked to the manager's job here? Anyone who's been involved with Reading at a lower level would be proud to be linked to the manager's job. He's said it's business as usual at Watford and his chairman is quoted as saying he won't go anywhere. :roll:

Royal_Belly

by Royal_Belly » 15 May 2009 09:45

I said after we played Bristol C at home that Gary Johnstone is a good manager - he seems to have the respect of the players and fans - defo wouldn't take any BS from players!! Oh and didn't they completley out play us at the Mad Stad?!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 15 May 2009 09:48

Royal Lady
Where's the clear sign then? The fact that he's proud to be linked to the manager's job here? Anyone who's been involved with Reading at a lower level would be proud to be linked to the manager's job. He's said it's business as usual at Watford and his chairman is quoted as saying he won't go anywhere. :roll:

Note the tone. That is not a man saying he wouldn't be interested in coming to the club, and the chairman is only quoted as saying it is 'highly unlikely', the same stuff Madejski came out with before Pardew left.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 15 May 2009 10:09

Gerry Francis anyone??? been working at Stoke, but lives doon south, done good coaching job there according to Pullis.

trevor francis???

yappy

by yappy » 15 May 2009 10:12

winchester_royal
Royal Lady

Note the tone. That is not a man saying he wouldn't be interested in coming to the club, and the chairman is only quoted as saying it is 'highly unlikely', the same stuff Madejski came out with before Pardew left.

The line “So until I am told otherwise I will just get on with preparing Watford for next season,” pretty much sums it up for me. He won't go out of his way for the job, but if Reading come in for him, and Watford agree to let us talk to him, I think he'd come.

RoyalBird

by RoyalBird » 15 May 2009 10:17

Deathy
winchester_royal
RoyalBird
God no! :evil:

Why the hell not?

Excellent record with Leeds...took them to a champions league semi-final FFS.

Good with kids too. I'd be happy with his appointment. :|

Are you lot kidding?! Biggest spend merchant around! He pretty much ruined Leeds by spending tons on players way over their value and not playing them. Pretty much hated Villa because he was on a fairly tight budget with Doug Ellis, and again wasted some players there. What would he be like with Madejski's budget? :roll:

boy1985

by boy1985 » 15 May 2009 10:19

Kevin Keegan

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 May 2009 10:21

Gary Johnson :|

There would go my optimism.

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2009 10:31

Deathy Gary Johnson :|

Why?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 May 2009 10:35

Hoop Blah
Deathy Gary Johnson :|

Why?

Done a good job with Bristol City, limited budget and all, but he's never done anything to make you think we can progress with him. Maybe tick along nicely as a mid-table side with hopes of play-offs.

He also sounds younger than Hammond. :shock:

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2009 10:52

You don't think he did an excellent job at Yoevil with two promotions (one by a record 17 point margin) and an FA Trophy for a team that had done nothing in the past apart from some FA Cup giant killings.

At City he almost got them promoted last season after coming up the year before (another promotion there of course) and has consolidated again this season.

I don't see anything about him that would be a black mark against him, although I do think there are better potential targets who might be more exciting.

royal goof

by royal goof » 15 May 2009 10:58

Absolutely anyone except Lawrie Sanchez.............. Lawrie - if your reading please, please withdraw your application. You are useless. Thanks very much.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 15 May 2009 10:59

I'm not sure Bristol City to Reading would be a great move for Gary Johnson. City are still building and looking like they can challenge for promotion most seasons if they keep going. He has a very secure job there and if he finishes 6th next season his reputation will be further enhanced. We're in decline compared to City. We have a marginally better chance of going up next season and some more money, but we're not particularly a bigger club in terms of the stadium and fan base. Finally, a finish of 6th with Reading next season could well be seen as disappointing. There is less to gain for him from promotion and more to lose from staying down, when City could well be at a similar level to us in 2 years or so. They're pretty much emulating us. Promoted, play-offs, mid table. Next season narrowly miss out on play-offs, next season up. Unrealistic?

I know some people made the same noises with Pardew and West Ham, but you're deluding yourself if you think the gulf between West Ham and Reading is minimal. The Reading job is far more suited to Rodgers. We're miles ahead of Watford right now and he has connections with the club.

RFCMod

by RFCMod » 15 May 2009 10:59

Brendan Rodgers and Eamonn Dolan

Lets start all over again with 2 people who know the club inside and out,know its constraints and even though it may take a while won't just walk if all goes wrong like some of the bigger names being banded about
Parky to be brought in as a senior coaching role

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 15 May 2009 11:01

Hoop Blah You don't think he did an excellent job at Yoevil with two promotions (one by a record 17 point margin) and an FA Trophy for a team that had done nothing in the past apart from some FA Cup giant killings.

At City he almost got them promoted last season after coming up the year before (another promotion there of course) and has consolidated again this season.

I don't see anything about him that would be a black mark against him, although I do think there are better potential targets who might be more exciting.

Yes of course, I agree totally. I just don't see how he will take us forwards. Sideways yes, and we shouldn't argue with that maybe. The last thing we want is to go backwards! He's just 'one of those'.

1747 posts