Coppell has gone

188 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: Coppell has gone

by Uke » 15 May 2009 14:48

Royalee
RobRoyal
Royalee The vast majority of managers don't have the resources available at RFC.

Yeah, 106 points and 8th in the prem was pretty much par for the course, given all our billions. Wasn't it Royalee?

All built on one summer's work - what about the other 4 years?

Ignoring the years of rebuilding up to the promotion season, the first Prem year and a higer than originally expected finish this year...

Royalee, you have a quest for instant satisfaction - you can probably achieve this in easier ways, than following football

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 15 May 2009 15:09

papereyes
RobRoyal
Royalee The vast majority of managers don't have the resources available at RFC.

Yeah, 106 points and 8th in the prem was pretty much par for the course, given all our billions. Wasn't it Royalee?

We would almost certainly have better resources than most clubs in our current division, let alone in the whole football league.

And a higher level of expectation than almost anyone. "Most clubs in our current division" would consider 4th place a spectacular success. Apparently we consider it a failure.

Anyway, what the feck has this got to do with celebrating Coppell's humility? I never said he didn't have reason to be humble, I made the point that managers, whether successful or not, are generally creatures of great ego who go to extreme lengths to dodge criticism shift the blame on to the ref. Coppell, despite a level of success that few can equal (Royalee and co might not agree, but I think we'll see a Premiership chairman or two that does), despite the respect of a large part of the football community, retains a down-to-earth attitude and never comes accross as having an overblown ego.

It's what marks him out in the game, for me.

But then it's hardly a surprise that someone like Royalee is blind to the quality of humility, is it?

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 15 May 2009 15:19

Royalee
RobRoyal

All built on one summer's work - what about the other 4 years?

What about the defence then? They had a really good season in the 04/05 season, with Sonko dislodging Williams with relative ease. 19 clean sheets in the league, 44 league goals conceaded.

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 15 May 2009 15:25

RobRoyal But then it's hardly a surprise that someone like Royalee is blind to the quality of humility, is it?

Do you think there may be an underlying cause which may have caused him to go blind?

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 15 May 2009 17:24

Rev Algenon Stickleback H how many of the last 6 years have we underachieved, based on resources?

I dunno - that really wasn't the point being made. But thanks for your well ... erm, for your intervention.

It was just worth reiterating for some of the people on here that what Royalee actually wrote was not factually incorrect and does indeed stand up.

At some point, some of you are gonna twig that we're a far bigger club than we were in the 60s, 70s, 80s, 90s and even when the current run of success started under Pardew. I rather appreciate the growth we've made. Some of the people on here seem to actively resent it.

And a higher level of expectation than almost anyone. "Most clubs in our current division" would consider 4th place a spectacular success. Apparently we consider it a failure.

A fair point, perhaps, but Coppell himself would also consider it a failure, given his last interview for us. :|

Murts-is-Lej

by Murts-is-Lej » 15 May 2009 17:25

Ideal
Uke
RobRoyal But then it's hardly a surprise that someone like Royalee is blind to the quality of humility, is it?

Do you think there may be an underlying cause which may have caused him to go blind?

Bad upbringing perhaps?

Too much instant satisfaction I'd bet...

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 15 May 2009 19:22

LOL

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 15 May 2009 19:57

papereyes
Rev Algenon Stickleback H how many of the last 6 years have we underachieved, based on resources?

I dunno - that really wasn't the point being made. But thanks for your well ... erm, for your intervention.

It was just worth reiterating for some of the people on here that what Royalee actually wrote was not factually incorrect and does indeed stand up.

How?

His implication was that Coppell worked for a club which had a financial advantage.

Yes, we are richer than the Reading of the elm park era, and we are considerably richer than our previous equals such as Brentford and Bournemouth, but we aren't competing against clubs like that any more, and we certainly weren't when we were in the premiership.

Relegation from the premier was a failure because we had players who should have been able to keep us up, not because we had the resources to outspend the bottom teams.

Not going up this year was a failure for the same reason. We haven't exactly flashed the chequebook about to gain an instant return.

By championship standards, we are not a rich club.

188 posts