Brendan Rodgers - a Watford view

210 posts
Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: Brendan Rodgers - a Watford view

by Hoop Blah » 15 May 2009 09:08

2 world wars, 1 world cup Thanks for your effort and time Hoop Blah, Arch, papereyes.

And thanks bw but the whole structure is more relevant I feel.

So in 06/07 we should've been relegation fodder but weren't.

Even more interested to see what 07/08 stats are.

Not a lot of clubs have their '08 figures available.

According to my source Reading's wage bill was up to just shy of £32m though. Blackburn's for the same year was £39m and Bolton's £38.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 May 2009 15:38

Ian Royal
2 world wars, 1 world cup
I can't see that Rogers has any decent record to get excited about.

Another Bullivant at best?

What was Coppell's record like when he joined Palace as manager at the age of 28?

Good point Ian and I generally agree with, if not at least respect things you say. What was McGhee's record? What was Pardew's record. All true.

But then how many people without a record go on to be greats and how many go on to be nobodies. Is the rule that every untried manager turns out to be a great? Of course not: greats are generally the lucky exception and they all obviously start out as relatively unknowns/untrieds. One can't argue cases based on exceptions to a rule.

So to argue that Rogers will be good because every great at some point had no record is inaccurate.

Of course it's entirely possible he'll be fantastic but it's just as possible if not moreso he'll be useless based on lack of record.

Bad record = likely to be rubbish
Good record = might be rubbish but higher chance than others of being good obviously.
No record = who knows.

I'd rather have someone with at least some sort of record as FS says. The devil you know is in most cases better than the devil you don't.

Whilst he may be good, so could my nan. I would be disappointed with another Bullivant-style "up and coming" nobody coming in. But as ever I have no axe to grind and am willing to be convinced.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 15 May 2009 19:55

I'd suggest his record with our academy, the job he did at Chelsea, the comments from Moronhinho and teh excellent job he's done getting Watford out of teh relegation zone and to mid table all provide quite a lot of information as to his potential quality as a manager.

He's not jst some random name plucked out of a hat.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 May 2009 20:05

Much depends on how good the #2 is.

BR is getting a lot of support from Malky Mackay. FSB was at his best when he had Colin Lee alongside. Moroninho was more than assisted by Steve Clarke who is doing something similar with Gianmidget Zola at wet spam. Was Clough better with or without Peter Taylor???

It is the support staff that will make or break the new manager.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 15 May 2009 20:14

Ian Royal I'd suggest his record with our academy, the job he did at Chelsea, the comments from Moronhinho and teh excellent job he's done getting Watford out of teh relegation zone and to mid table all provide quite a lot of information as to his potential quality as a manager.

He's not jst some random name plucked out of a hat.

Noone suggested his name was plucked out of a hat. He'd have to have *something* to even be in with a shout.

But his 'achievements' are little more than promising glimmers to be fair. Little more than Bullivant who was very up and coming.

But thanks I can see why he's liked.

At this stage though I don't think one can even begin to compare him with Curbs (as an example).

Curbs>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Rogers from what I can see.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 15 May 2009 20:58

Terminal Boardom Much depends on how good the #2 is.

BR is getting a lot of support from Malky Mackay. FSB was at his best when he had Colin Lee alongside. Moroninho was more than assisted by Steve Clarke who is doing something similar with Gianmidget Zola at wet spam. Was Clough better with or without Peter Taylor???

It is the support staff that will make or break the new manager.

Absolutely. See my earlier post about Dean Austin's role at Watford.

Some managers take their backroom staff wherever they go – O'Neill, Hughes and Bruce for example – others have a much more casual, use what's there philosophy. Coppell certainly fell into the latter camp.

Arch
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Arch » 15 May 2009 21:40

Brendan Rodgers For me, in this moment, my full concentration is on next season with Watford.

"There is always going to be speculation as a manager and a coach. You are always honoured if you are linked with big jobs because it means you and your team are doing well.

"But in this moment, my concentration is fully on Watford and looking forward to next year.

"At the moment I am trying to concentrate on my learning at various different clubs and that is what is on my mind at the moment and looking forward to the future with Watford.
... at the moment.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 May 2009 22:32

Shades of Billy Idol with "Eyes without a face" to the extent that we are a"Club without a manager". I know it doesn't make sense and it is the guinness talking...

This is actually one of those few, time defining moments, when we are actually managerless. The last time this happened at this stage of the season was after Jim and Mick's contracts were not renewed. Terry the Taxi came in and we know the rest.

We have moved on so much from then. We have finished 4th in the championship and yet we are, generally, disappointed. 11 years ago we only just avoided relegation. We are perceived as a much bigger, more attractive, well run club now. I find this period quite exciting and the anticipation as to who our new manager will be is akin to a first date with a girl that has been fancied for some time. How will it go? Will she want to see me again? Any chance of a shag??? Will she be any good??????

We have to wait and see and speculate more than a tabloid hack.

Cookie

by Cookie » 15 May 2009 23:02

Very honest post Floyd, confirms what I am thinking about the guy. But all this Buck Rodgers furore is getting in the way of the real fan's favourite, Parky!!!

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 15 May 2009 23:31

Cookie Very honest post Floyd, confirms what I am thinking about the guy. But all this Buck Rodgers furore is getting in the way of the real fan's favourite, Parky!!!

What? Michael Parkinson? Great choice with Rolf Harris and Heston Blumenthal on the coaching staff. You can imagine the free kick routines... "Do you know what it is yet?" Priceless!

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 17 May 2009 19:19

A few of the Watford fans seem pretty certain that Rodgers has already agreed terms on a move. Just about every betting market has been suspended. Would be very suprised now if this didn't happen.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2009 22:17

I'm going to look a bit stupid if he does end up as our manager.

Que Sera Sera.

Forbury Lion
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Forbury Lion » 18 May 2009 10:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup Good point Ian and I generally agree with, if not at least respect things you say. What was McGhee's record? What was Pardew's record. All true.

But then how many people without a record go on to be greats and how many go on to be nobodies.
If the board see the same characteristics in Rogers as other successfull Reading managers then that would be a good indication.

Remember not all successfull managers are good, Some find themselves in a job they just can't fail at likewise some find themselves in a job they can't possibly succeed at.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 18 May 2009 20:04

Forbury Lion
2 world wars, 1 world cup Good point Ian and I generally agree with, if not at least respect things you say. What was McGhee's record? What was Pardew's record. All true.

But then how many people without a record go on to be greats and how many go on to be nobodies.
If the board see the same characteristics in Rogers as other successfull Reading managers then that would be a good indication.

Excellent point thanks Forbs.

Yeah.... I am more open to the argument that "our board managed to spot the potential of McGhee so if they pick Brendan it's possible they've seen something similar in him as evidence suggests they're not bad at making these sorts of decisions (barring Bullivant)" than just a general "X was unknown but he turned out good so therefore Brendan will be".

You've made me feel a little better about the possibility of signing a "13th in the Championship" nobody.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 18 May 2009 20:07

2 world wars, 1 world cup You've made me feel a little better about the possibility of signing a "13th in the Championship" nobody.

I'd think ( and have not checked !) that if we appointed Rogers and he managed to improve our league placing by as much as he improved Watford's then promotion would be on the cards.....

Remember he was brought in to Watford to stop them getting relegated, he didn't oversee a season that ended in mid season anonymity (aka QPR). He also changed their whole style of football.

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 18 May 2009 20:47

I like the sound of Brendan Rodgers. The thing I like best is that he has an affinity for our club, you are not going to get that in very many candidates. He would be my first choice followed closely by Curbishley.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 19 May 2009 09:44

Spoke with an ex-Reading trainee this morning, who was with the club under Rodger's reign. Couldn't praise his coaching skills, preparation and one-to-one mentoring enough.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 May 2009 12:00

It seems that Rodgers (or Buck, if we must...) ticks all the relevant boxes that we should be looking at in a manager and even appeases those that seems to clamor for a link to the club, it's not a view I have ever thought 'works' but hey ho...

He's young and talented, as has been mentioned if Mourinho head-hunted him and still thinks that he's a very, very good coach then that's more than fine by me. Only if you had a severe blinkered view of Mourinho would you think that this wasn't a sparkling endorsement.

He's actually done well with Watford considering what he's actually got as a playing squad. (If their best player is Tommy Smith...well...) Even when we beat them 4-0 at our place (goals...remember them?) they actually looked a very decent unit, just had no teeth up front. He clearly is more than your average manager from what has also been mentioned by people who have actually dealt with him. He has his beliefs, his own standards and knows how he wants football to be played and won't stand for it not being played in the way he sees fit. That's something which I haven't seen since the days of McGhee (but even then that could be RTG's on my front.)

If he did come here, then obviously this job is the one he's wanted ever since he moved into coaching. Obviously since he's currently with Watford he's not going to extol his love for Reading FC, but I don't think even he could imagine a better time to take the job here. Clean slate, a squad primed for change, parachute payment still in force, a time to build on recent failure(s), plenty of reasons to see that now would be the right time. Not quite the right time for Watford, but if the board are willing to pay Watford for his services, I doubt that they could stand in his way - if Rodgers really wants it.

Not really a question of why...but why not? OK, we'll be a work in progress for quite possibly a few seasons, but I'd much rather than that than the denial of a decline.

(And Cookie, seriously, drop it...nobody in their right mind would employ Parkinson over Rodgers.)

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 19 May 2009 12:42

I really want Rodgers now, mostly for the reasons above. I'll be disappointed if we DON'T get him tbh. The only managers I'd rather have over him are Mourinio, Ferguson, Wenger or Gus (not the cow boy). We're not going to get any of them, so Rodgers it is PLEASE! Come on board, show us that we have ambition!

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 19 May 2009 12:51

Rawlie19 I really want Rodgers now

Can't help but applaud your honesty.

I liked his "at the moment" statement.

210 posts