Have any of the players spoken out on where it went wrong?

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

Re: Have any of the players spoken out on where it went wrong?

by AF1 » 15 May 2009 12:34

Royal Lady He hasn't even got a porsche - he's got a BMW X5. :roll:

much better at mounting the pavement to get the ol' caravan into the park :roll:

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 15 May 2009 13:02

I've already commented on here how his parking is akin to his corner taking - rubbish.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 17 May 2009 11:56

yuomi
Snowball
yuomi
we gave kebe a chance. any 'confidence footballer' could see that the fans were willing him to be what he and ssc (and NOT the belly laughing french fans and media) said he could be. he didnt live up to that expectation and the warmth we showed him to start with understandably flickered and died.

hth.

NOPE, THEN IT TURNED INTO THE FOULEST ABUSE

That's the point. I have no problem with people thinking a player is not living
up to expectations, or is past-it. I don't have a problem with harsh criticism
for stupidity or not trying.

It's the level of vitriol, the nastiness, the bigotry, the near-racism (eg Hunt = Pikey hitch your caravan to your Porsche stuff)

Basically, a list of non-footballers, probably most of them fat fnucks with small IQs
think they have a tiny bit of power. They'd be like lambs face to face with "the fat Yank"

sorry to disagree, but thanks bullshitmunch.

irrespective of how fragile your mental state might be, if youre kebe or hunt youre getting paid something like 18k PER WEEK (thats an average, dragged upwards by hunt) to play for the club. your job is to be a professional footballer. i would not say that the 'level of vitriol' levelled at kebe and hunt has been any worse than that i have heard elsewhere. it is certainly nowhere near what has been proffered to c.ronaldo, sol campbell or beckham over the years. if youre a sensetive flower who needs tucking in bed at night then its fair to say professional football is not the career for you. the fact is that kebe, regardless of any criticism or how nasty fat people hiding behind computer screens have been, has not progressd or improved as a footballer since he arrived. he hasnt shown anything of the potential promised to us. as such we are voiceing our frustration. as a paying fan i feel i have the right to be unhappy with this and to voice my discontent. im not a racist or a bigot and my criticism is purely based on his football talent (or lack thereof) rather than any personal attack (lets face it, bambi on ice isnt exactly like calling a finger painting a monet).

you cant go on a one man crusade to protect players egos because its crap. these people have an amazing opportunity to do something all of us would happily do for free and they get paid a stupidly large amount of money to do it. if i think hes being shit, il say it.

otherwise we'd all be sat around saying how lucky we are that hunt is the irish pele and kebe has had a fantastic season and was integral in our successgul promot- oh. :roll:

This is all a fair response.

I agree with Snowball and I can totally understand the good response.

But whether or not it's right to attack players and whether or not they should be able to take it the FACT is first and foremost players are HUMAN. Throwing harsh abuse at one of our own players is nothing short of utter stupidity and will achieve absolutely nothing other than destroy confidence and make him even worse. Yes we have every right to do so because we pay their ages, and yes they're big boys who should be able to take it bla bla bla but the point is whether we like it or not they are being chosen to play for our team so why do something that might make them even worse!!!!?????

There's a big difference between showing some discontent, which the manager and player will both pick up and try to act on.... and being extremely harsh which adds absolutely NOTHING and has the added risk of destroying confidence, or in Harpers case, bullying him out the first team.

It's nothing short of disgusting and dumb.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 May 2009 12:14

Let's be honest about it - every right-winger we've had since Glen Little has been roundly abused - Oster, Seol, Kebe.

I think quite possibly they've all been given such a hard time for the simple fact that they're not Glen Little of 2006 & 2007 vintage - he set the benchmark so high for some that anyone who's not been as good as him has known all about it and had any confidence destroyed. Even though they're decent enough players doing their best for us, not being Glen Little has been enough for some to unleash the boos and abuse.

And my theory is further backed up by the fact the only one not to get the same treatment has been Glen Little of 2009 vintage - even though his performances have been less effective than anything produced by Oster, Seol or Kebe.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2009 12:24

Kebe gets a verbal kicking on here because he promises so much and delivers so little of it.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 17 May 2009 12:26

Ian Royal Kebe gets a verbal kicking on here because he promises so much and delivers so little of it.

Indeed, but if he delivered it all he'd not be playing for Reading, he'd be playing for one of the big four.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2009 12:29

Dirk Gently
Ian Royal Kebe gets a verbal kicking on here because he promises so much and delivers so little of it.

Indeed, but if he delivered it all he'd not be playing for Reading, he'd be playing for one of the big four.

Certainly. I'd still prefer someone who promises much less and delivers a higher proportion.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 17 May 2009 13:11

Royal Lady
Dr Hfuhruhurr
Snowball (eg Hunt = Pikey hitch your caravan to your Porsche stuff)

I quite like that one. Can I nick it?
He hasn't even got a porsche - he's got a BMW X5. :roll:

Unimportant point, but he does own a silver Porsche 911, in addition to an older BMW X5.

working class hero

by working class hero » 17 May 2009 13:25

Snowball

Don't be a dummy. It's not about being cute and posting clever Kebe-hating threads or SHunt-hating threads,
or booing our players on the pitch, IT'S ABOUT WINNING GAMES.

Kebe is a confidence player. Without any doubt, the negativity will have fed through to him
and made him make more mistakes.

Let's theorise for one moment. Say he hadn't been pilloried, hadn't been booed
and had managed that pass to Kitson at Burnley, and that Kits hadn't been too demoralised
and had managed to score. We'd've been 1-0 up, deservedly so, probably not lost the penalty,
not had the sending off, then we'd've come back to the Mad and won.

It's so easy to be a loudmouth on this board or boo players at games, but the negativity WILL make players even less effective

Now cue a load of "look how funny I am" posts.

Supporters? Pah!

Come on Snowball you KNOW it was all Long's fault....

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 17 May 2009 18:13

Ian Royal
Dirk Gently

Certainly. I'd still prefer someone who promises much less and delivers a higher proportion.

james henry

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 17 May 2009 18:30

brendywendy
Ian Royal
Dirk Gently Indeed, but if he delivered it all he'd not be playing for Reading, he'd be playing for one of the big four.

james henry

I have a lot of hope for the lad, although the rumours about his ego are a bit worrying.

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 17 May 2009 18:35

Snowball Let's theorise for one moment. Say he hadn't been pilloried, hadn't been booed
and had managed that pass to Kitson at Burnley, and that Kits hadn't been too demoralised
and had managed to score. We'd've been 1-0 up, deservedly so, probably not lost the penalty,
not had the sending off, then we'd've come back to the Mad and won.

It's so easy to be a loudmouth on this board or boo players at games, but the negativity WILL make players even less effective

Now cue a load of "look how funny I am" posts.

Supporters? Pah!

Or alternatively, let's see what would have happened had James Henry been given a complete season playing for us on the wing in place of the non-footballer who was picked week in week out, no matter what he actually did on the pitch, in the mistaken belief that someone who can sometimes run fast, when he can be arsed, MUST be the answer???

Cuts both ways matery, cuts both ways.

Royal Boil

by Royal Boil » 18 May 2009 00:10

Hmm. For a thread that started out about the players views, all I'm seeing here is a lot of vitriol, j'accuse being hurled towards certain players and name calling. For the record I do actually believe that player performance can be influenced by the crowd. I remember one game last season where Oster went up yet another blind alley, only to hear around 20,000 screams of "He's fcuked it up again!" whilst he attempted to shrug it off and retain some sense of dignity. No matter how much you're being paid, and leaving aside the merits - or lack of them - about that particular player, I'd say it's bound to get to you. At the other end of the scale, Lita comes on as a late substitute this season to hear the East stand chanting his name. How is that not going to boost your confidence and make you believe you can do the impossible? Anyhow, the point of this rambling post is that this season is now dead and buried. Whilst we're all busily picking over the corpse, the manager has admitted that he's not the man to take the team forward, and I'd say full credit to him for that. The backroom staff are headed out the door, and we have a lot of home grown talent. So next season is already being prepared for a new start, a clean sheet. Hopefully they'll get the right men for it, because, despite all the negativity we're actually still a pretty attractive proposition now...

It is currently 05 Oct 2024 16:22