What does a manager do?

purleyroyal

What does a manager do?

by purleyroyal » 19 May 2009 14:00

Serious question - what is the role of a football manager in today's game and/or at Reading?

I guess they pick the team, make decisions about subs during games and are ultimately responsible for motivating players.
And then talking to the media (or not if you're Sir Alex).

But what's their influence during the week?
How much are they involved in training sessions (I've never been to one so don't know - do the players just run around keeping fit or do they actually spend a lot of time discussing tactics, planning strategies and practising moves)? How many training sessions are there in a week and how long are they? Is it like a normal 9-5 job (apart from when there's a match on)?

I suppose I'm asking ultimately how does a manager make a team 'his team'?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: What does a manager do?

by Dirk Gently » 19 May 2009 14:05

It varies from manager to manager - some are "hands-off" whilst others do a lot of coaching themselves.

But they pick the team and - importantly - decide the tactics.

So they'll deal with the coaches who supervise training, and so the coaches will be working on the manager's instructions on what to concentrate on in training (e.g. what formations and set-pieces to train).

Of course, they are also responsible for the mental attitude and motivation of the players, which is a major responsibility.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 May 2009 14:14

Lots of things. He should have the vision of what he wants his team to be, ultimately. He will evaluate what he has, what he doesn't, what he needs and what he can't have (as guided by the board.) He will then base his coaching staff on how best they can deliver what he sees as 'the big picture'.

Then, working with the coaches, sports scientist, director of football, this plan is worked on day in, day out...

Usually, for football in general, training is usually a morning affair - afternoons sometimes, depends on if there's something to work on, or players want to stay behind and train. Sometimes Mondays off are common in the game, usually Fridays are light training or if they have to travel.

How much work on strategy and planning with the players takes place is one I've always thought about. To me, the average pro just wants to get out there, play in position and do their thing. A shape and general state of play just seems to 'happen'...and there's your 'style'. The managers role is to fashion how to get the best out of those players using the abilities they naturally have.

Given the fare this season, it seems that some players can't even do the basics like trap a ball, or in terms of Hahnemann keep the ball on the big green thing in front of him. However, if you listened to the pundits, Reading's strength (was) set pieces, so you would assume these were worked on a great deal in training. What training went on for an individual player (and indeed if you could comment on improvement) is another matter entirely.

Then there's the mental side of being a manager where he would deal with the players individually. Ask what he wants from them, knowing what they can and can't do, what positions he would like them to take up at set pieces, where to be when we don't have the ball, how to act in the media, what to say, what not to say (not that most players would listen) but generally how to represent the club.

Bloody hell, I'm in the wrong trade!

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 19 May 2009 14:18

Don't they do scouting as well, for both potential new players and checking out the up-coming opposition?

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 May 2009 14:22

Thaumagurist* Don't they do scouting as well, for both potential new players and checking out the up-coming opposition?

Depends. I think for Reading, scouts are used or McDermott has done most of the work on the opposition. No doubt Coppell may have done local games though, I can't recall him going to games further afield on an evening though.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 19 May 2009 14:52

Some clubs have a Manager, others have a Head Coach. Is there a difference? This really bothers me

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

by The Rouge » 19 May 2009 14:59

Yes. Lets discuss in a Youngs Pub on the 30th.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 19 May 2009 15:02

The Rouge Yes. Lets discuss in a Youngs Pub on the 30th.

Yes I am holding 25 quid from Plymouth I`ll be there.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 19 May 2009 15:05

Negative_Jeff Some clubs have a Manager, others have a Head Coach. Is there a difference? This really bothers me

I think, if you take Reading on recent history, Coppell was actually a Head Coach.

In traditional terms, a manager as long as we can remember, did everything...train, scout, contracts, signing, the whole gamut.

Coppell let Squeaky do the 'money bit', the on-field activities were Coppell's domain.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 19 May 2009 15:07

Negative_Jeff Some clubs have a Manager, others have a Head Coach. Is there a difference? This really bothers me

I suspect that the head coach does more coaching than a manager does and has to work with the players he is given (i.e. he isn't consulted on which players he wants bought).

The manager does more in dealing with players and deciding who he needs as well as doing some coaching.

Or something like that.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 19 May 2009 15:14

Surely its no different to your manager at work

He employes the likes of you (the players) to do a job and has line managers (coaches) to direct/guide those players etc....

In Reading's case he'll tell the Director of Football what sort of player he wants/needs and then along with the scouts go out to look for said player(s) - once they find one, the manager will then have a look to see if they are suitable.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 19 May 2009 15:18

Play Championship Manager and you'll find out what a Manager does 8)

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 19 May 2009 15:22

Do you have to motivate the team when you play Championship manager?

11.30 from paddington

by 11.30 from paddington » 19 May 2009 15:23

As others has said, it can depend upon their style.

Pardew was very hands on, and pretty much ran the training sessions himself, and was always very vocal. I think he also involved himself in the selection of music as the teams ran out, and lest we forget, Rumblestix! He was concerned with every detail of the club. Very much your old school style of English manager.

My impression of Coppell, is that he knew the style of football he wanted, and the style and attitude of player. He was happy to delegate the actual training and signing of players. That was because he had trust in the staff at the club (Hammond, Downes, Dillon, McDermott etc) and the club had trust in him. I got the impression that the coaches were a buffer and handed out the individual praise/bollockings. Some players commented that ( a la Wenger) Coppell said little, but commanded attention when he did speak, especially if he was p!ssed off. Very similar to the European system (minus the interfering President).

Er, that's my take anyway. With either system, the buck stops with the manager!

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 19 May 2009 15:24

Sarah Star Do you have to motivate the team when you play Championship manager?

yes

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 19 May 2009 15:24

TBM

yes

How do you do that then?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 19 May 2009 15:27

Sarah Star
TBM

yes

How do you do that then?

I think you talk them up to the media.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 19 May 2009 15:51

Thaumagurist* I think you talk them up to the media.

+ team talks and contracts and bonus' etc......

Anything that'll boost a players moral

Plymouth_Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Plymouth_Royal » 19 May 2009 15:58

As far as boredom goes you must have been at the absolute peak to come up with this thread. I dont see how this has any relevance. Reading fc knows what a manager does and if they didnt i'd be extremely worried. Unless, your planning on writing a cv for the job?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 19 May 2009 16:02

Plymouth_Royal As far as boredom goes you must have been at the absolute peak to come up with this thread. I dont see how this has any relevance. Reading fc knows what a manager does and if they didnt i'd be extremely worried. Unless, your planning on writing a cv for the job?

'greed

Lets start a "NEW CHANT FOR TABB" thread or something!