New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Alan Partridge » 28 May 2009 12:30

That Friday Feeling On BBCRB this morning Tim Dellor was pretty sure Dolan is no.1 choice.

If that was a case i think they'd be a bit closer to appointing him in all honesty. That would be the ultimate (pardon the pun) cop out if Dolan got it. Absoluely no credentials to get the Reading job.

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 28 May 2009 12:38

friday fan Looking at all the suggested candidates they all point to those who would work with a cheap budget. There are plenty of decent candidates who for the right reason wouldn't come to Reading because the transfer budget wouldn't be there. My short list would be as follows

Curbishley
pardew
Raneri
Venables
Pearce
Ray Wilkins
who ever is number 2 at Man Utd
Colin from Palarse
Sven
Poyet
Mad Dog (just cause he would have sorted the premadonnas out)

Willing to get slated but we'll end up with a no name who nods his head. Oh I forgot why don't we get Mike Bassett!!!!!!!!

thank god Nicky Hammond is D.O.F!! So that'll be the Ray Wilkins who single handidly nearly wiped QPR of the face of the earth lavishing cash on the likes of Ned Zelic, Mike Sheron and Mark Hateley at a cost of around 6-7 million!!. At least you have possibles in Curbishley and Poyet i suppose

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 28 May 2009 12:43

Alan Partridge
That Friday Feeling On BBCRB this morning Tim Dellor was pretty sure Dolan is no.1 choice.

If that was a case i think they'd be a bit closer to appointing him in all honesty. That would be the ultimate (pardon the pun) cop out if Dolan got it. Absoluely no credentials to get the Reading job.

he did well at Exeter and is well thought of running our academy, not much different to the 'credentials' that Brendan Rogers has in all honesty...

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 May 2009 12:45

but surely wed already have appointed him if we "wanted"dolan

why would it take so much time when we already employ him?

unless he was the man we wanted, but wanted to just bring in some others for an interview just in case they might blow us away with their sales pitch?
sound mental to me

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 28 May 2009 12:50

holsgrove breaks a leg
Alan Partridge

he did well at Exeter and is well thought of running our academy, not much different to the 'credentials' that Brendan Rogers has in all honesty...

I agree with AP that were he the target signature you'd expect RFC to have moved a little quicker. If he is in the frame I'd suggest we've been knocked back by one or two clubs/employed managers and that NH will explain the delay as having had to take a good look at all available options.

tbh I wouldn't be too unhappy if he were appointed. Whilst I'd like to see someone with recent success on their CV (Tisdale, Ferguson, Adkins) the appouintment of someone familiar with the youth players we're hoping to see establish themselves in the team wouldn't be a bad thing. Would it?

Might also help keep Doyle in the team too.

Darren Caskey's Dietician
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Darren Caskey's Dietician » 28 May 2009 12:51

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
IMAMATEOFJOVSKY Skybet same - Pardew odds are tumbling!

Rodgers B 6/5
Pardew A 3/1
Irvine A 5/1
Dolan E 7/1
Curbishley A 10/1
Ince P 12/1

Won't be Pardew. He has told me, to my face when I bumped into him in Woking a couple of weeks ago that he wouldn't come back, and the chairman wouldn't have him back.

No disrespect DCD but do you really think he would give you an exclusive about his future plans??

Wouldn't really call it an exclusive, if anything, if he weren't telling the truth, it's a way of shaking off a fan pestering him on the high street :)

He said it in a very matter of fact way, and certainly, if he was talking crap, and does end up managing us again, he is a top liar, and I'm very gullable.

Whore Jackie
Hob Nob Regular

by Whore Jackie » 28 May 2009 13:19

That Friday Feeling I agree with AP that were he the target signature you'd expect RFC to have moved a little quicker. If he is in the frame I'd suggest we've been knocked back by one or two clubs/employed managers and that NH will explain the delay as having had to take a good look at all available options.

Do those options stretch beyond the extended RFC family? Ex-Royals Rendevouz manager's son-in-law or the Director of Football's brother-in-law.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 28 May 2009 13:19

TBM
Rawlie19 Not the worst post, but it's up there. That is a list of managers who would make me shudder (apart from Sven, but then he'd rape us for wages even 5 years after he'd quit).

Maybe that is the point of the post, and a whoooosh is forthcoming...

If a manager quits then they dont get a pay off - if they are sacked then they do

HTH

Yes, but he wasn't sacked from the England job... Go figure.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 28 May 2009 13:25

If Dolan were appointed, it would appear that the club couldn't get whomever was the first, second and third choice etc. If he was higher up the pecking order, then he would have been appointed by now, for sure.

If that's the case, then I would be very much worried. But I don't think it is...

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 28 May 2009 13:25

If we were to have appointed Dolan though, why would we have released Dillon & Downes? Dolan would have known all about their coaching qualities and would have surely required on their experience etc. I'll be surprised if it is Dolan. He came across exceptionally well though at a STAR fans forum 3-4 years ago and would be a sound appointment.

Mad Dog's Ghost

by Mad Dog's Ghost » 28 May 2009 13:30

Not sure how far you can read into the odds. Do you think very many people are actually having a punt on this? I mean Rogers could be the clearcut favourite with one bookie simply because out of, say 10 bets placed, 5 have been put on him.

I mean, it's not quite the grand national is it.

RoyalBlue
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: Developed a pathological hatred of snakes on 14/10/19

by RoyalBlue » 28 May 2009 13:38

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY
Won't be Pardew. He has told me, to my face when I bumped into him in Woking a couple of weeks ago that he wouldn't come back, and the chairman wouldn't have him back.

No disrespect DCD but do you really think he would give you an exclusive about his future plans??

Wouldn't really call it an exclusive, if anything, if he weren't telling the truth, it's a way of shaking off a fan pestering him on the high street :)

He said it in a very matter of fact way, and certainly, if he was talking crap, and does end up managing us again, he is a top liar, and I'm very gullable.

Hasn't at least one of those things already been well proven?!

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 28 May 2009 13:42

RG30 If we were to have appointed Dolan though, why would we have released Dillon & Downes? Dolan would have known all about their coaching qualities and would have surely required on their experience etc. I'll be surprised if it is Dolan. He came across exceptionally well though at a STAR fans forum 3-4 years ago and would be a sound appointment.

You have answered your own question. He will have known about their qualities - and their weaknesses. In my humble opinion the club needed a clear out in the coaching department and they have got it. Even if Coppell had stayed I think he needed to bring in fresh ideas in his coaching team - so any new manager would probably do the same.

As to Sven and England. He was sacked. How it was represented to you and me is another matter, but he was removed from his post and so his compensation package kicked in.

Steve T

by Steve T » 28 May 2009 13:52

Pardew is now joint favourite at 5-4 with Victor Chandler

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 28 May 2009 14:03

Rawlie19
TBM
Rawlie19 Not the worst post, but it's up there. That is a list of managers who would make me shudder (apart from Sven, but then he'd rape us for wages even 5 years after he'd quit).

Maybe that is the point of the post, and a whoooosh is forthcoming...

If a manager quits then they dont get a pay off - if they are sacked then they do

HTH

Yes, but he wasn't sacked from the England job... Go figure.

I'll think you'll find the FA decided to terminate his contract after the World Cup and they came to an agreement to pay the remainder of his contract BUT the payments would stop should he find another job.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 28 May 2009 14:08

I hope Hammond is bullsh1tting when he says 'the next couple of weeks'. That is a unacceptably long period of time, in a crucial period for planning.

You have a load of candidates who want the job.

We need a manager.

Even allowing for compensation negotiations with their current club, there is no way that process should take 2 weeks.

Ignoring the argument re: whether a DoF is worth having anyway, Hammond just isn’t dynamic enough for the role. If we’re going to make sweeping changes then why not include the DoF in that? I’d at least like to think his role is under pressure, as ultimately, he has failed to deliver against his objectives in the last 2 seasons.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 28 May 2009 14:16

You're really ungrateful, Seal. :roll:

And anyway, it'd be nearly midweek of June which would still give the new manager about 2 months to prepare for the new season. Plenty of time. :roll:

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 28 May 2009 14:19

Last season the DoF put a manager and a squad in place that really should have got promotion. I don't think it's his fault we didn't go up.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 28 May 2009 15:15

Steve T Pardew is now joint favourite at 5-4 with Victor Chandler

and he's also joint fave, with Rodgers, at 11/8 on Skybet as well

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 28 May 2009 15:18

RIGHT ROYAL GAMBLE ON PARDEW
Sky Bet's Odds Compare All Prices
Click here for our interactive football stats

Victor Chandler report a run of money for Alan Pardew to be the next Reading boss.

The firm took over a dozen bets in a half hour period on Thursday, and he is now 5/4 joint favourite from 11/1.

VC spokesman Neal Wilkins explained: "Pardew was in at 11/1 this morning, but we suddenly saw a lot of money for him in a short period of time.

"We cut him to 9/1, then 6/1 and he was backed at both prices and then at 5/2 and 7/4. He is now 5/4. It was a significant gamble and they were all new accounts."

The current favourite is Watford manager Brendan Rodgers and his price has drifted out to joint favourite at 5/4 from 4/6.

It's a similar story at Sky Bet who go 11/8 from 16/1 about Pardew.

Their spokeswoman Helen Jacob said: "A number of new accounts have been opened today, all placing bets on Alan Pardew to take over at Reading.

"However, also popular today for the Reading job is Peterborough boss Darren Ferugson who is 10s from 20s. These two have been backed to the exclusion of all other candidates. Money for Brendan Rodgers has dried up."

Latest Zone Stories

1747 posts