1747 posts
Uke
Hob Nob Legend

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Uke » 28 May 2009 15:21

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY RIGHT ROYAL GAMBLE ON PARDEW
Sky Bet's Odds Compare All Prices
Click here for our interactive football stats

Victor Chandler report a run of money for Alan Pardew to be the next Reading boss.

The firm took over a dozen bets in a half hour period on Thursday, and he is now 5/4 joint favourite from 11/1.

VC spokesman Neal Wilkins explained: "Pardew was in at 11/1 this morning, but we suddenly saw a lot of money for him in a short period of time.

"We cut him to 9/1, then 6/1 and he was backed at both prices and then at 5/2 and 7/4. He is now 5/4. It was a significant gamble and they were all new accounts."

The current favourite is Watford manager Brendan Rodgers and his price has drifted out to joint favourite at 5/4 from 4/6.

It's a similar story at Sky Bet who go 11/8 from 16/1 about Pardew.

Their spokeswoman Helen Jacob said: "A number of new accounts have been opened today, all placing bets on Alan Pardew to take over at Reading.

"However, also popular today for the Reading job is Peterborough boss Darren Ferugson who is 10s from 20s. These two have been backed to the exclusion of all other candidates. Money for Brendan Rodgers has dried up."

Latest Zone Stories

So why would Sky who own the bookies want to steer people in the correct direction? What are the odds on their 'stories' like this coming true?

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 28 May 2009 15:24

Im not sure Sky have ??? - they have said a number of bets placed on Pardew but have also made reference to a number being laid on Ferguson - it also agrees with Victor Chandler so they are not stating in isolation

Uke
Hob Nob Legend

by Uke » 28 May 2009 15:32

I never trust a bookies word after all its in their best interest for you to lose your cash

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 28 May 2009 16:09

Do you think some of them are holding out for other jobs but keeping us hanging on in case they fall through?

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2009 17:24

"However, also popular today for the Reading job is Peterborough boss Darren Ferugson who is 10s from 20s. These two have been backed to the exclusion of all other candidates. Money for Brendan Rodgers has dried up."

Darren Ferguson now 7/2...

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 28 May 2009 17:31

Does anyone really think JM would re-employ AP?

I think not.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2009 17:37

I would be amazed if he did.

But I am a forgiving soul and he would certainly get my support. Can't understand anyone who says otherwise.

MartinRdg

by MartinRdg » 28 May 2009 17:38

Steve T Pardew is now joint favourite at 5-4 with Victor Chandler

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk Victor Chandler report a run of money for Alan Pardew to be the next Reading boss.

The firm took over a dozen bets in a half hour period on Thursday, and he is now 5/4 joint favourite from 11/1.

VC spokesman Neal Wilkins explained: "Pardew was in at 11/1 this morning, but we suddenly saw a lot of money for him in a short period of time.

A run of money is "over a dozen bets"!!!!

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 28 May 2009 17:46

Seal I hope Hammond is bullsh1tting when he says 'the next couple of weeks'. That is a unacceptably long period of time, in a crucial period for planning.

You have a load of candidates who want the job.

We need a manager.

Even allowing for compensation negotiations with their current club, there is no way that process should take 2 weeks.

Ignoring the argument re: whether a DoF is worth having anyway, Hammond just isn’t dynamic enough for the role. If we’re going to make sweeping changes then why not include the DoF in that? I’d at least like to think his role is under pressure, as ultimately, he has failed to deliver against his objectives in the last 2 seasons.

I'd much rather they put a slightly longer potential window on it and make sure they get the right candidate rather than potentially rushing through the process and making a mistake.

The majority of transfers don't take place until July/August and everyone in football is on holiday at the moment so we aren't losing any ground on anyone right now.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 May 2009 17:59

MartinRdg
Steve T Pardew is now joint favourite at 5-4 with Victor Chandler

http://www.bettingzone.co.uk Victor Chandler report a run of money for Alan Pardew to be the next Reading boss.

A run of money is "over a dozen bets"!!!!

must have been large bets to shift the odds that much!

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2009 18:07

Not really - they look so carefully for any "suspicious" trends with this sort of market as it is so easy for them to catch a cold with inside info / reports of meetings witnessed etc.

11 new accounts all placing bets on the same bloke is a pretty big trend, whatever the amount staked.

(Edit, not that they said they were all new accounts, but new accounts were mentioned by one of the bookies...)

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 28 May 2009 18:10

Royal Rother Not really - they look so carefully for any "suspicious" trends with this sort of market as it is so easy for them to catch a cold with inside info / reports of meetings witnessed etc.

11 new accounts all placing bets on the same bloke is a pretty big trend, whatever the amount staked.

(Edit, not that they said they were all new accounts, but new accounts were mentioned by one of the bookies...)

"We cut him to 9/1, then 6/1 and he was backed at both prices and then at 5/2 and 7/4. He is now 5/4. It was a significant gamble and they were all new accounts."

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 28 May 2009 18:31

Oh right, thanks for that - my point stood anyway but I'm obviously getting confused with who said what from the various bookies.

IMAMATEOFJOVSKY

by IMAMATEOFJOVSKY » 28 May 2009 19:02

As Royal Rother said - Ferguson odds shortening and for first time a change in favourite -

Pardew A 11/8
Rodgers B 6/4
Ferguson D 7/2
Irvine A 12/1
Dolan E 12/1

surrounded by saints

by surrounded by saints » 28 May 2009 19:12

Seal I hope Hammond is bullsh1tting when he says 'the next couple of weeks'. That is a unacceptably long period of time, in a crucial period for planning.

We need a manager.

Even allowing for compensation negotiations with their current club, there is no way that process should take 2 weeks.

Ignoring the argument re: whether a DoF is worth having anyway, Hammond just isn’t dynamic enough for the role. If we’re going to make sweeping changes then why not include the DoF in that? I’d at least like to think his role is under pressure, as ultimately, he has failed to deliver against his objectives in the last 2 seasons.

we may as well have hammond as manager(he seems to have too many fingers in too many pies at the club for my liking!!)maybe sir john could be his assistant to save a bit more dosh!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 28 May 2009 19:37

surrounded by saints

We need a manager.

we may as well have hammond as manager(he seems to have too many fingers in too many pies at the club for my liking!!)maybe sir john could be his assistant to save a bit more dosh!

And what pies are they, as you clearly know so much?

We are managerless. He is DoF. He is bound to be even more hands on in the absense of a manager! He has also been brilliant for us, and had a great relationship with Steve Coppell.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 28 May 2009 23:49

The money on Ferguson is interesting.

We can hope......

Trying to convice myself here...but lets not forget that his father, Sir Al, has a very opinion of RFC, and may be able to convince Darren that a move to Reading would be an excellent career choice.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 29 May 2009 09:58

Stranded

We need a manager.

I'd much rather they put a slightly longer potential window on it and make sure they get the right candidate rather than potentially rushing through the process and making a mistake.

The majority of transfers don't take place until July/August and everyone in football is on holiday at the moment so we aren't losing any ground on anyone right now.

To a degree that is true, but personally I would rather the manager deciding on contract renewals than the DoF. I know that in this instance that may have been difficult with some of the players concerned, but nevertheless it's an example.

More importantly, I think it would be extremely hard to argue against the fact that over the course of the last 2 seasons our transfer record has been appalling. Whether that was Hammond or Coppell's fault is by the by (I would suspect joint liability), but I for one, would like a new manager to have as much time as possible to review the current squad, get new players in, and then hit the ground running in pre season.

One could indeed argue that our recruitment of a new manager is mirroring our transfer policy of recent years. All a bit casual, a few sound bites, little in the way of action, some opportunities to acquire good talent missed, followed by an underwhelming end.

I hope I am proved wrong here, I just want to see a little more dynanism from Hammond, rather than a meek "couple of weeks" statement. I've met him with work a couple of times, and he definitely backs himself in his DoF role, and clearly loves it, so it's time he delivered. If anyone thinks he's not under severe pressure to deliver this season they are deluded. I can guarantee you that as DoF, his primary objectives have been:-

1) Stay in the Premiership. FAILED
2) Get promoted. FAILED.
3) Get promoted....

Third strike and out I reckon.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 29 May 2009 10:31

ferguson wont come to us, curbs is not in the odds frame which hints at him being lined up at a prem job

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 29 May 2009 10:32

Seal If anyone thinks he's not under severe pressure to deliver this season they are deluded. I can guarantee you that as DoF, his primary objectives have been:-

1) Stay in the Premiership. FAILED
2) Get promoted. FAILED.
3) Get promoted....

Third strike and out I reckon.

Well he's been doing the job for over 5 years so you've conveniently missed out:

4) Get promoted to the Premiership - UNQUALIFIED SUCCESS
5) Stay in the Premiership - UNQUALIFIED SUCCESS

1747 posts