New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Rawlie19 » 03 Jun 2009 10:20

Royal Lady I don't really want Brendan Rodgers. :cry: I might start a car park protest and lie in the manager's parking place so he can't park there.

Here's hoping they'll just drive right over you then. :wink:

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jun 2009 10:23

Stranded Don't think it'll happen AP - I'd say Posh said no, Watford said yes so we've gone for Rodgers.

I'd be very happy with either appointment.

Posh didn't say no exactly, Reading just didn't stump up what they wanted.

I just feel Rodgers is the easy option, the same sort of easy way out Reading have took in the last few years when a much harder line should have been taken. Football is very much an old mates club and him having previous here has probably gone a long way to him looking like getting the job.

I feel still that some big decisions need to be made this summer for Reading to be at the top end next year, a dynamic, enthusiastic manager who absolutely demands the best always, like Ferguson would have been my choice. When he was aksed about Posh in L1 he straight away said, i want to win the league.

The only other thing is maybe the money available to the new manager is very little, and we will be far more reliant on the young players next season which is maybe why they've gone for a youth coach with 6 months managerial experience to lead Reading's season, in which promotion or at worst the playoffs will be expected from the supporters. This next decision on Reading's manager is a huge one, the face of the club has already changed with some of the old guard going and I really feel this could be the start of a few years of mid table stuff. Something which a hell of a lot of our fanbase have never seen, and I doubt would put up with.

One Beer is never enough.

by One Beer is never enough. » 03 Jun 2009 10:25

Last time round, we approached Hull for Peter Taylor and were refused permission - we walked away. I dont think it will be any different this time round, which I think will mean (unfortunately) DF wont be coming to us. However I would be just as happy with BR.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 03 Jun 2009 10:25

Only downside for me wtr Rodgers is his lack of experience. His coaching credentials seem solid, he's well-respected, and he knows the club. How adept he'd prove at other skills associated with being a league manager eg. operating in the transfer market remains to be seen.

Still, even Coppell started somewhere, likewise McGhee and Pardew and they all turned out okay.

Fukk it, let's see what happens.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Jun 2009 10:26

Like the other AP I prefer Ferguson as he will be way more ambitious then Rodgers. I also would have liked Tisdale. However I will accept Rodgers if it cones down to it...

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jun 2009 10:26

so the biggest surprise transfer of the summer has occured, BRENDAN RODGERS is new RFC MANAGER

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 03 Jun 2009 10:29

I know some, such as AP, are disappointed that we're getting Rodgers over Ferguson, but I have thought from day 1 that Rodgers is the man.

Young, eager, loves the club, and by all accounts is a very talented coach. Plus, if we get a couple of loanees from Chelsea like Cork and Kakuta, then I think we'll all be very happy.

It could have been much worse!

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jun 2009 10:31

winchester_royal I know some, such as AP, are disappointed that we're getting Rodgers over Ferguson, but I have thought from day 1 that Rodgers is the man.

Young, eager, loves the club, and by all accounts is a very talented coach. Plus, if we get a couple of loanees from Chelsea like Cork and Kakuta, then I think we'll all be very happy.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and I don't feel that Rodgers will be terrible, I just feel like this is a bit like when England had to replace Revie and they went with Greenwood when Clough was the man for the job.

In my opinion, Reading need someone not at all affiliated with the club with no previous, someone already with a track record of promotion who won't shirk big decisions.

They look like they are going for the Greenwood esque safer option...again.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 03 Jun 2009 10:32

Archie's penalty Like the other AP I prefer Ferguson as he will be way more ambitious then Rodgers.

What evidence do you have for that? Hasn't Rodgers been quoted as saying he wants to manage in the Champions League? If that's not ambition then what is?

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 03 Jun 2009 10:39

Rogers is still 1/6 with sky bet.

Bring back Mark McGhee!

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 03 Jun 2009 10:42

Maguire Fukk it, let's see what happens.

'greed.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 03 Jun 2009 10:55

It's not happened yet, this is still all speculation. I was waiting for the boards to crash before I would know that we'd made the appointment, but they've been going down pretty regularly recently so who'd know.

Only one Trevor Morley
Location: On the floor of the penalty box, having won a penalty by falling over

by Only one Trevor Morley » 03 Jun 2009 11:00

I think Rodgers will prove to be an astute signing for three reasons

1) Mourinho as a manager was second to none when it came to selcting quality individuals - he obviously saw something in Rodgers and continues to be very close to him - I back his judgement

2) He has spent a lot of time working with young players - I really think that if we are to avoid mid table we need to have about 5 youngsters in the side who improve it together - not quite the Busby babes but we need some sort of plan. Also I like the way he has breathed life into players who had been stagnating (MCnuff being the obvious example)

3) Finally - and this is a big reason for me - he started off playing a very attacking passing game at Watford - that didnt work so he made it a bit more direct which then saw them have a decent second half of the season. I like that for two reasons - first that his natural instriocts is to play a passing game, but secondly when he realised he didnt have the personall to fit his preferred approach he chagned things. if one was critical of Coppell its that he had a very sucessfuly tempalte - but only one template.

I think the argument that he is the safe option is a red herring - he is young, inexperienced dont forget. A lot fo water has gone under the bridge since he went to Chelsea

RG30
Hob Nob Addict

by RG30 » 03 Jun 2009 11:03

Article written at the back end of January by Russel Kempson with Rodgers, a good read http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/sport/football/football_league/article5586912.ece

Ginger Ninjas

by Ginger Ninjas » 03 Jun 2009 11:05

Only one Trevor Morley I think Rodgers will prove to be an astute signing for three reasons

1) Mourinho as a manager was second to none when it came to selcting quality individuals - he obviously saw something in Rodgers and continues to be very close to him - I back his judgement

2) He has spent a lot of time working with young players - I really think that if we are to avoid mid table we need to have about 5 youngsters in the side who improve it together - not quite the Busby babes but we need some sort of plan. Also I like the way he has breathed life into players who had been stagnating (MCnuff being the obvious example)

3) Finally - and this is a big reason for me - he started off playing a very attacking passing game at Watford - that didnt work so he made it a bit more direct which then saw them have a decent second half of the season. I like that for two reasons - first that his natural instriocts is to play a passing game, but secondly when he realised he didnt have the personall to fit his preferred approach he chagned things. if one was critical of Coppell its that he had a very sucessfuly tempalte - but only one template.

I think the argument that he is the safe option is a red herring - he is young, inexperienced dont forget. A lot fo water has gone under the bridge since he went to Chelsea

Good post. I'd be more than happy with Rodgers. If we're not going to get promoted next season (and obviously I hop we do), at least i'd be confident that with Rodgers we'd at least be playing some decent passing football and using the academy products, neither of which have really been seen at Reading since Mcghee.

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 03 Jun 2009 11:17

Alan Partridge
winchester_royal I know some, such as AP, are disappointed that we're getting Rodgers over Ferguson, but I have thought from day 1 that Rodgers is the man.

I agree wholeheartedly with this, and I don't feel that Rodgers will be terrible, I just feel like this is a bit like when England had to replace Revie and they went with Greenwood when Clough was the man for the job.

In my opinion, Reading need someone not at all affiliated with the club with no previous, someone already with a track record of promotion who won't shirk big decisions.

They look like they are going for the Greenwood esque safer option...again.

Ron Greenwood was actually a magnificent coach. It was his influence on three West Ham players that had a major bearing on the England team`s success in 1966. The near post cross practised by the Hungarians in the fifties was lost on everyone else but not him. a fascinating bloke.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jun 2009 13:16

I was there at Elm Park
Archie's penalty Like the other AP I prefer Ferguson as he will be way more ambitious then Rodgers.

What evidence do you have for that? Hasn't Rodgers been quoted as saying he wants to manage in the Champions League? If that's not ambition then what is?

Agreed, and what cements my view that Rodgers is a special manager in the making with great ambition is that he already speaks Spanish and is currently learning Italian.

He's no flash Harry who's going to shout about his ambition from the rooftops but if learning Spanish and Italian isn't enough of a signal of burning ambition I don't what would be.

Can anyone think of other young English football managers / coaches able to converse in 3 languages?

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Alan Partridge » 03 Jun 2009 13:23

Royal Rother
I was there at Elm Park

Agreed, and what cements my view that Rodgers is a special manager in the making with great ambition is that he already speaks Spanish and is currently learning Italian.

He's no flash Harry who's going to shout about his ambition from the rooftops but if learning Spanish and Italian isn't enough of a signal of burning ambition I don't what would be.

Can anyone think of other young English football managers / coaches able to converse in 3 languages?

That a major skill in life,fair play. Quite how that's relevant to being the right man for the Reading job I'm not sure.

Rodgers probably would have been my personal 3rd choice so not the end of the world but I just personally feel Ferguson was the right person for this job.

Nezhen

by Nezhen » 03 Jun 2009 13:26

Martinez speaks Spanish, English and Welsh (could be useful when conversing with Simon Church!)

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jun 2009 13:31

I cant see us getting promoted next season under rodgers it is nothing against rodgers but i just think his lack of experience will show resulting in us not achieving promotion

i look forward to seeing us play next season and hope to be proved wrong.

1747 posts