New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
floyd__streete
Hob Nob Addict

Re: New manager [Merged]

by floyd__streete » 03 Jun 2009 13:33

Royal Rother Agreed, and what cements my view that Rodgers is a special manager in the making with great ambition is that he already speaks Spanish and is currently learning Italian.

He's no flash Harry who's going to shout about his ambition from the rooftops but if learning Spanish and Italian isn't enough of a signal of burning ambition I don't what would be.

So learning spanish is a clear sign of ambition and furthermore a clear indicator of Rodgers being a special manager? :lol:

The spanish will come in handy when he congratulates the Swansea players on their victory against us next season though, I guess.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 03 Jun 2009 13:35

loyalroyal4life I cant see us getting promoted next season under rodgers it is nothing against rodgers but i just think his lack of experience will show resulting in us not achieving promotion

i look forward to seeing us play next season and hope to be proved wrong.

I dont think we'll get promoted next season no matter who the manager is, thats why i'll be happy with a 5 year plan of getting back into the Premiership.

Armadillo Roadkill

by Armadillo Roadkill » 03 Jun 2009 13:36

These are what I think are the priorities for Reading, in order:

1 - stay viable as a club - don't overspend, don't go into adminstration, don't get sold to some dodgy cartel of oligarchs to avoid dissapearing

2 - stay in the Championship - finishing no lower than 14th for a few seaons

3 - play attractive football - send people home thinking they've been really entertained and had their money's worth, and they will keep coming back

To do these things, we need a manager who is an expert at developing and trusting younger (1), home grown talent; whose instincts are to attack, keep the ball on the ground (3), but is tactically astute enough to change things around to get results when required (2).

I think Rodgers is the ideal candidate.

Royal Rother
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Rother » 03 Jun 2009 13:51

floyd__streete
Royal Rother Agreed, and what cements my view that Rodgers is a special manager in the making with great ambition is that he already speaks Spanish and is currently learning Italian.

He's no flash Harry who's going to shout about his ambition from the rooftops but if learning Spanish and Italian isn't enough of a signal of burning ambition I don't what would be.

So learning spanish is a clear sign of ambition and furthermore a clear indicator of Rodgers being a special manager? :lol:

Everything I have heard and read about him, and the style with which Watford turned their season around under his guidance, suggests he has huge talent and potential and that he could well be a "special manager in the making" (was the phrase I used) - it would be hard to argue that the fact that he is adding languages to his skillbase is something other than illustration of a burning ambition to succeed. Very few other young English managers have shown the same level of commitment.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Jun 2009 13:58

We don't know anything until he's had a ago in the job so can make no comment. All managers obviously have to start somewhere and now is probably as good a time as any for a manager like BR to come into the club.

With the big names that have dropped out of the Premier League and other clubs in the Championship that will have money to burn next season is always going to be a "build in progress" season and I think the fan sights will be set on the play offs rather than automatic because of it.

I just hope whoever comes in sets the aim for his players to be to win the title.

And now we'll be linked with all Watford and Chelsea players instead of Palace and Brentford so at least that's some improvement!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 03 Jun 2009 14:36

what about Alan Buckley (Bucko) ?

holsgrove breaks a leg

by holsgrove breaks a leg » 03 Jun 2009 14:42

floyd__streete

The spanish will come in handy when he congratulates the Swansea players on their victory against us next season though, I guess.

Doubt it if Martinez crawls away...

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 03 Jun 2009 14:46

http://www.skysports.com/story/0,19528, ... 03,00.html

Reading chairman John Madejski expects an announcement on the club's new manager in 'the not too distant future'.

The Royals are still searching for Steve Coppell's successor after he left the role last month.

A number of names, including Peterborough United boss Darren Ferguson and Exeter City manager Paul Tisdale, have been linked with the post.

Madejski, though, is remaining quiet on who could land the position but suggested he will soon reveal the club's new head coach.

He told Sky Sports News: "The search is going reasonably well, I have to say.

"We're very lucky we have Nick Hammond, director of football, and we have had an avalanche of applications for the job, as you might expect.

"Together with the board we have dwindled that down to the final few, and now we are going through the final process.

"I would expect to make an announcement in the not too distant future."

Madejski also remained coy on suggestions Watford boss Brendan Rogers is Reading's No.1 target, adding: "No, of course (I cannot comment on that).

"I wouldn't do anything like that. I am far too professional to be caught out by that carrot. Shame on you!"

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 03 Jun 2009 14:49

BBC Reading linked to Watford manager

Rodgers still lives in Reading
Reading could be set to appoint Watford manager Brendan Rodgers, BBC Three Counties Radio understands.

An announcement by the Madejski Stadium side could be made on Wednesday.

Rodgers has only been in charge at Vicarage Road since November but started his coaching career at Reading and still has his home in the town.

The Royals have been looking for a replacement for Steve Coppell, who resigned in May following their failure to win the Championship play-offs.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 081467.stm

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 03 Jun 2009 14:53

Rumours stronger than they've ever been. BBC and Sky reporting.

Bill Oddie's Beard

by Bill Oddie's Beard » 03 Jun 2009 14:59

Watford fans seem to think that there's gonna be an announcement from their club this afternoon.

handbags_harris
Hob Nob Regular

by handbags_harris » 03 Jun 2009 15:48

floyd__streete

Being able to speak Spanish will be a massive plus point if he wants to try to get his todger into Andre Bikey's wife.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 03 Jun 2009 16:15

TBM
loyalroyal4life I cant see us getting promoted next season under rodgers it is nothing against rodgers but i just think his lack of experience will show resulting in us not achieving promotion

i look forward to seeing us play next season and hope to be proved wrong.

I dont think we'll get promoted next season no matter who the manager is, thats why i'll be happy with a 5 year plan of getting back into the Premiership.

understand what you are saying TBM but i thought it was quite important to try use the final year of parachute payments to give it a good go!!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 03 Jun 2009 16:21

handbags_harris
Being able to speak Spanish will be a massive plus point if he wants to try to get his todger into Andre Bikey's wife.

Funniest post ive read on here in ages.

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 03 Jun 2009 17:01

I'd love Rodgers still. But Ferguson Jnr would be even better. If I see his dad tonight I will ask if he knows anything. Although I don't really see him all that often.

Zammo
Hob Nob Addict

by Zammo » 03 Jun 2009 17:06

Yep, it's defo Rodgers. Contracts being agreed this afternoon. Expect something from the club tomorrow.

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 03 Jun 2009 17:28

Zammo Yep, it's defo Rodgers. Contracts being agreed this afternoon. Expect something from the club tomorrow.

Expect a press release

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Jun 2009 17:31

loyalroyal4life
TBM I dont think we'll get promoted next season no matter who the manager is, thats why i'll be happy with a 5 year plan of getting back into the Premiership.

understand what you are saying TBM but i thought it was quite important to try use the final year of parachute payments to give it a good go!!

No chance of that, that means spending money and JM, rightly or wrongly, will never do it.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 03 Jun 2009 17:34

So will any of Brendan's backroom boys follow him? Can't see us needing Harabi, Malky Mackay is 1st team coach there isn't he so perhaps he'll move over. Not sure on whether there's a role for Frank Snr but it may make sense to make one.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Jun 2009 17:46

I'm getting very excited about next season.

1747 posts