New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: New manager [Merged]

by Stranded » 04 Jun 2009 08:52

2 world wars, 1 world cup Please please please tell me this isn't true.

I was right about Parj, right about Coppell, let's hope I'm bloody wrong about this being a very big gamble if it's the 27-game 13th place nobody.

Wahay let;s get so far and then gamble it all away.

Very disappointed.

Or you can look back at the clubs history and see that McGhee was untested but came with a glowing ref from Alex Ferguson and was successful. Pardew was untested and was succesful.

Rodgers comes with decent pedigree and is highly thought of by many high profile people in the game, by no means a guarantee of success but it's something to take as a positive - the fact that in a small time he turned a side that were heading from the drop to a comfortable midtable side playing good football is excellent - if he has the same short term impact here then we'll be automatically promoted next season.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 04 Jun 2009 08:54

Brendan Rodgers is new Reading FC boss
By Nick Ive
June 03, 2009

Brendan Rodgers is returning to Reading as the club's new manager.

Royals are set to announce the appointment of the Watford boss within the next 24 hours.

A compensation package of £800,000 has been agreed between the clubs following detailed talks.

As we exclusively revealed last Friday, Royals pressed home their interest in Rodgers and Hornets have now reluctantly allowed him to leave.

Rodgers, a former Academy boss at Reading, will want to bring in his own backroom staff.

That includes Watford coaches Frank Lampard Senior, Dean Austin and football physiologist Karl Halabi, who was on Reading’s books as a youngster.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Jun 2009 08:59

Well, let's give him a chance and see what he can do, but I'm a *bit* disappointed to be honest. Paying compensation of £800,000 probably means Rodgers gets about £250,000 to spend on players.

I still don't understand why we let Hahnemann go - surely it was up to the new manager to decide if he wanted to keep him on. This now means we need a new goalkeeper - even as a reserve, before we start listing the other positions that need filling/cover.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 04 Jun 2009 09:05

Royal Lady I still don't understand why we let Hahnemann go - surely it was up to the new manager to decide if he wanted to keep him on. This now means we need a new goalkeeper - even as a reserve, before we start listing the other positions that need filling/cover.

Wages, RL. Hahnemann would have been on very decent wages and he was 36. To commit to another one or two years on his wage would have been daft when they can get a cheaper, younger model in...even if it's 2nd fiddle to Federici. (I doubt Hahnemann would have liked to be in limbo until the new manager decided if he wanted him or not either.)

The old guard at all levels were no longer required and too expensive to renegotiate with, simple as that.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:11

Apparently there will be a Press Conference this morning.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 04 Jun 2009 09:13

Agent Balti
Royal Lady I still don't understand why we let Hahnemann go - surely it was up to the new manager to decide if he wanted to keep him on. This now means we need a new goalkeeper - even as a reserve, before we start listing the other positions that need filling/cover.

Wages, RL. Hahnemann would have been on very decent wages and he was 36. To commit to another one or two years on his wage would have been daft when they can get a cheaper, younger model in...even if it's 2nd fiddle to Federici. (I doubt Hahnemann would have liked to be in limbo until the new manager decided if he wanted him or not either.)

The old guard at all levels were no longer required and too expensive to renegotiate with, simple as that.

Exactly plus isn't it time Federici was given a chance as number 1? From what I saw of him he looked very promising this season, maybe just needs experience and he'll get that this season. As for back up Hamer should be adequate, he's got lots of experience, more than Fed actually, and from his interviews does not sound as if he wants to sit on the bench so should push Fed all the way. I don't really see the point of signing a keeper to be back up for Fed and I doubt if we'll be able to find another keeper better than Fed unless we pay millions and I'd rather spend any such money elsewhere in the team.

Tilehurst End

by Tilehurst End » 04 Jun 2009 09:21

!
Arch

I was right about Parj, right about Coppell, let's hope I'm bloody wrong about this being a very big gamble if it's the 27-game 13th place nobody.

Very disappointed.
Worst post ever

The king is dead, long live the king!

Focher
Hob Nob Regular

by Focher » 04 Jun 2009 09:23

my heart still says Curbishley due to his massive experience at this level and the top level, but i can't help feeling optimistic that Rodgers growing reputation, obvious ability, and connections with the Reading area will see us in excellent shape in the years to come.

"ladies and gentleman, it is with great pleasure in presenting you our new manager, after a long hard search for the right man, Mr Glen Roeder"

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:24

Royal Rother

Very disappointed.

You were right about Pardew and Coppell were you? Bully for you mate.

When thinking about Rodgers' forthcoming appointment, of far more relevance is the fact that THE CLUB were right about Pardew and Coppell....

Best. Response. Ever.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2009 09:28

Archie's penalty
brendywendy
Royalee I'll stick to my position that you need to stop living in the past and crawl back out of Coppell's ar*e.

why dont you crawl out of duck dodgers' arse while we are at it

Brendy your positivity will out in the end.

i know

my hearts just not in this negative stuff :lol:

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2009 09:31

loyalroyal4life
Deathy Done deal! 8)

Brendan Rodgers is returning to Reading as the club's new manager.

Royals are set to announce the appointment of the Watford boss within the next 24 hours.

A compensation package of £800,000 has been agreed between the clubs following detailed talks.

As we exclusively revealed last Friday, Royals pressed home their interest in Rodgers and Hornets have now reluctantly allowed him to leave.

Rodgers, a former Academy boss at Reading, will want to bring in his own backroom staff.

That includes Watford coaches Frank Lampard Senior, Dean Austin and football physiologist Karl Halabi, who was on Reading’s books as a youngster.

GTFI FWANK!!
:lol:

so figures of 800k are being touted about yet for an extra £200k we couldnt go for ferguson jnr?

i imagine watford said youll only have to pay the fee if you take him
and the posh said you have to pay 1 M just to ask him

Tommy Youlden's Ears

by Tommy Youlden's Ears » 04 Jun 2009 09:32

Just heard a rumour that Steve McLaren is/was on the shortlist. Eeek!

Wycombe Royal
Hob Nob Addict

by Wycombe Royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:33

2 world wars, 1 world cup let's hope I'm bloody wrong about this being a very big gamble if it's the 27-game 13th place nobody.

They played 28 league matches from the date he was employed and got 40 points. Over our last 28 matches we got 44 points.

Not much difference and a good achievement when you look at the resources at his disposal against what Coppell had.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2009 09:34

Very disappointed.

boooooooooooooooooooo

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:36

Tommy Youlden's Ears Just heard a rumour that Steve McLaren is/was on the shortlist. Eeek!

Performing miracles in Holland, and worked wonders with Boro.

Not as bad a manager as people think.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2009 09:38

Royal Lady Well, let's give him a chance and see what he can do, but I'm a *bit* disappointed to be honest. Paying compensation of £800,000 probably means Rodgers gets about £250,000 to spend on players.

I still don't understand why we let Hahnemann go - surely it was up to the new manager to decide if he wanted to keep him on. This now means we need a new goalkeeper - even as a reserve, before we start listing the other positions that need filling/cover.

player releases weremainly for financial reasons i think, the big wage earners and the elderly have gone, and gives BR some leeway with new players and wages IMO
also not forgetting the whole time for change ethos, where its important to give BR the chance to put his own stamp on the team without everyone harping on about the old guard and the good old days

im very happy

we have a manager on the up, very well regarded, and most importantly he has strong links to the club, knows how we operates and wants to be here.
on balance id prefer that to a hoddle or a curbs who may well be more likely to be on the way down.

ferguson would have been good too, but posh put a stop. so BR is the next best for me, maybe even 1st choice.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 04 Jun 2009 09:40

From what I could gather, Copps was on a salary of £1 million, we've just had to pay out £800k before paying Rodgers a comparable wage - I'd have rather paid someone like Curbs a £2 million salary - but that's just me, I suppose.

Avon Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Avon Royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:41

Royal Lady but that's just me, I suppose.

Yes it is.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by winchester_royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:44

Brendan was my first choice from the moment SSC walked out. He's got the experience of working with top players at Chelski, developes young players nicely, and most importantly, by all accounts he favours nice, passing football which will hopefully suit our most talented player, who Coppell failed to get the best out of (Marek).

Not confirmed yet so I don't want to get too carried away, but if we compare this appointment to say the appointment of Lawrie Sanchez, I think everyone on this board can be very happy with Nicky Hammond's progress.

In squeeky we trust.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 04 Jun 2009 09:45

winchester_royal Apparently there will be a Press Conference this morning.

Where have you heard this? Nothing on the OS yet...

1747 posts