New manager Brendan Rodgers *confirmed*

1747 posts
winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

Re: New manager [Merged]

by winchester_royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:46

Royal Lady From what I could gather, Copps was on a salary of £1 million, we've just had to pay out £800k before paying Rodgers a comparable wage - I'd have rather paid someone like Curbs a £2 million salary - but that's just me, I suppose.

Would you have been more excited by Curbishley as a manager?

He's always struck me as being incredibly dull.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 04 Jun 2009 09:46

Rawlie19
winchester_royal Apparently there will be a Press Conference this morning.

Where have you heard this? Nothing on the OS yet...

Sky Sport News were saying last night that there would be one today.

Seal
Hob Nob Regular

by Seal » 04 Jun 2009 09:49

Jose Mourihno said that he if ever returned to manage in England, Brendon Rogers would be his first appointment as his No.2.

I for one am very happy with this appointment. Think he's just the type of manager the club needed at this stage. Young, ambitious and clearly a deep thinker about the game. Gives us the fresh start I think we all need after the last 2 years.

Will be a very interesting summer now. Hopefully he is given the funds to have a decent crack in the transfer market. Nothing excessive, but we should be in the top 6 spenders in the Championship this summer if we're serious about going up.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 04 Jun 2009 09:51

Excellent news if true. The only other serious contender for me would have been Ferguson and we could not get him.

As for Curbishley - much as in one way I would have liked to see him here because of his experience - he would actually have been an even greater gamble than Rodgers because if a good PL job had come along at a later date he would most likely be off again.

I am excited for next season as I think Rodgers will get the best out of our young stars.

I was really impressed by Watford's style when we beat them 4-0. I actually thought that they played well that day but we had 4 shots and 4 goals - just one of those games. At the time Rodgers was under pressure from Watford fans but he persisted in playing the right way and Watford did well at the end of the season. This bodes well for the future as far as I am concerned.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jun 2009 09:56

It's now expected that the official announcement will be made this afternoon - probably between 2.30 pm and 3 pm.

The 17 Bus
Hob Nob Regular

by The 17 Bus » 04 Jun 2009 10:02

Royal Lady From what I could gather, Copps was on a salary of £1 million, we've just had to pay out £800k before paying Rodgers a comparable wage - I'd have rather paid someone like Curbs a £2 million salary - but that's just me, I suppose.

I thought Coppell was on £1m in the prem, which imediately halved on relegation??

From The mirror

Steve Coppell has shown his desire to guide Reading back to the Premier League by accepting a £480,000 pay cut to stay on as boss next season.

He and the players have clauses in their contracts slashing their salaries if relegated. In Coppell's case that means a 40 per cent reduction on his £1.2m-a-year.

After admitting he was poised to quit after nearly five years, Coppell told how he now had unfinished business.

He said: "The last thing I want to be remembered for at Reading is for a relegation. I wanted the chance to put it right. Now our motivation is to try to make next season memorable for all the right reasons."

Jim Leighton

by Jim Leighton » 04 Jun 2009 10:16

[quote="Seal"]Jose Mourihno said that he if ever returned to manage in England, Brendon Rogers would be his first appointment as his No.2.

Does this mean that as soon as Jose comes back to manage in England we'll be looking for another manager??

boy1985

by boy1985 » 04 Jun 2009 10:17

Jim Leighton
Seal Jose Mourihno said that he if ever returned to manage in England, Brendon Rogers would be his first appointment as his No.2.

Does this mean that as soon as Jose comes back to manage in England we'll be looking for another manager??

Not if he takes over Reading.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 04 Jun 2009 10:24

boy1985
Jim Leighton
Seal Jose Mourihno said that he if ever returned to manage in England, Brendon Rogers would be his first appointment as his No.2.

Not if he takes over Reading.

Mourinho is going to be our next Chairman. HTH

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 04 Jun 2009 10:31

i thought beckham was

Gordons Cumming
Hob Nob Addict

by Gordons Cumming » 04 Jun 2009 10:33

Sounds like the guy has now got some good contacts. :wink:

Maybe a few Chelsea players on loan? (young ones that is)

Wizard
Hob Nob Addict

by Wizard » 04 Jun 2009 10:36

Are we gonna hear today? Probably leave it another week before telling everyone.

I didn't seen Fergie senior after by the way, so I couldn't ask him about his son.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 04 Jun 2009 10:39

Wizard Are we gonna hear today? Probably leave it another week before telling everyone.

Yes we are. (unless there's a last minute breakdown in negotiations) So almost certainly YES- mid adfternoon today. The various media are doing their planning and interviews already.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 04 Jun 2009 10:41

Dirk Gently
Wizard Are we gonna hear today? Probably leave it another week before telling everyone.

Yes we are. (unless there's a last minute breakdown in negotiations) So almost certainly YES- mid adfternoon today. The various media are doing their planning and interviews already.

What comment have you made?

Dan - B15 Royal

by Dan - B15 Royal » 04 Jun 2009 11:09

Gordons Cumming Sounds like the guy has now got some good contacts. :wink:
Maybe a few Chelsea players on loan? (young ones that is)

Young Chelsea players to get in on loan if this goes through in my view would be....

Jack Cork - centre midfielder, he played onloan at Watford and had a great game at the Madejski, and is a similar palyer to Sidwell
Scott Sinclair - has been onloan to a handfull of clubs in the championship, has great pace and end product which we have clearly missed with kebe/s.hunt's unpredictability in crossing. Him and Church running down either flank would be a great combination in my view.
Franco di Santo - Young striker, has had a few games in the chelsea first team, but needs time to develop, and with lita leaving and kitson going back, will provide more options uptop.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 04 Jun 2009 11:12

Front page news on BBC Football now :D

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/default.stm

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jun 2009 11:13

2 world wars, 1 world cup Please please please tell me this isn't true.

I was right about Parj, right about Coppell, let's hope I'm bloody wrong about this being a very big gamble if it's the 27-game 13th place nobody.

Wahay let;s get so far and then gamble it all away.

Very disappointed.

Your football knowledge is shocking.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 04 Jun 2009 11:25

Royalee
2 world wars, 1 world cup Please please please tell me this isn't true.

I was right about Parj, right about Coppell, let's hope I'm bloody wrong about this being a very big gamble if it's the 27-game 13th place nobody.

Wahay let;s get so far and then gamble it all away.

Very disappointed.

Your football knowledge is shocking.

As is your sense of tact.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 04 Jun 2009 11:33

I don't want a top young manager who knows the club with links to top people and clubs who's proven he can get the most out of players, can speak multiple languages and favours an exciting passing approach, boooooooo.

rhroyal
Hob Nob Regular

by rhroyal » 04 Jun 2009 11:36

Happy with Rodgers. Young, ambitious and highly rated by all who have worked with him. If he is successful at Reading don't expect him to hang around if an offer from a bigger club comes in, but so long as there is success first I won't mind that. Just stating that he doesn't have Coppell's loyalty.

1747 posts