How the current lot may develop under Rodgers

TheMaraudingDog

Re: How the current lot may develop under Rodgers

by TheMaraudingDog » 09 Jun 2009 15:55

LOL @ getting excited about a manager who has managed a total of just 31 games winning less than half of them :lol:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2009 15:58

You wouldn't understand glory boy.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 09 Jun 2009 16:03

Ian Royal You wouldn't understand glory boy.

Please explain then. 31 games winning less than half doesn't seem like the sort of bloke that a club trying to get back into the Prem with some cash behind them should be going after.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jun 2009 16:08

Only Wolves won more than half their games in this division last season.

So if Rodgers can deliver victories in 50% of the games next season we'll be in with a very decent shout of promotion.

Ever had a stat come back and bite you ?

yuomi

by yuomi » 09 Jun 2009 16:11

for once i have to say im not in total disagreement with TMD. looking at his record BR hasnt exactly been great in his short career. im asking the same questions about his appointment as i am about the geordies who seem to want shearer to stay on as their manager, despite his near-total inability to carry out his managerial duties. im not saying BR is on that level, he did a good job last year of making a very mediore team a slightly less mediocre team, but i dont share this new found optimism that he is ready to takeover and trailblaze us a path to glory...

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 09 Jun 2009 16:17

Sun Tzu Only Wolves won more than half their games in this division last season.

So if Rodgers can deliver victories in 50% of the games next season we'll be in with a very decent shout of promotion.

:lol:

It was closer to 40%. In fact it was 45 points from 31 games, 1.4516 points per game which would get you 67 points and 9th position based on last seasons table.

STATS BACK AT YOU :lol:
8)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jun 2009 16:18

yuomi for once i have to say im not in total disagreement with TMD. looking at his record BR hasnt exactly been great in his short career. im asking the same questions about his appointment as i am about the geordies who seem to want shearer to stay on as their manager, despite his near-total inability to carry out his managerial duties. im not saying BR is on that level, he did a good job last year of making a very mediore team a slightly less mediocre team, but i dont share this new found optimism that he is ready to takeover and trailblaze us a path to glory...

Luckily judging whether someone is or isn't likely to be a good manager involves a bit more than a simplistic stat analysis !

Rodgers record at Watford tells you very little seeing as he took over a very poor side with next to no money. Expecting him to (say) storm the division from there would be unrealistic.

His appointment wasn;t based on what he's already done as a manager but what he has the potential to do. He may not succeed, but I've never seen anyone come up with a fool proof blueprint for what makes a successful manager. He's got the coaching experience, the big club background, the high profile recommendations, the ambition etc etc so at the very least we've picked someone with the right raw materials. Whether he can be the next Eoin Coyle, Ady Boothroyd, Alan Pardew, Nigel Clough, Roberto Martinez etc etc etc we'll have to wait and see.....

leww_rfc
Hob Nob Regular

by leww_rfc » 09 Jun 2009 16:20

Sun Tzu Only Wolves won more than half their games in this division last season.

Touché :lol:

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jun 2009 16:23

TheMaraudingDog

It was closer to 40%. In fact it was 45 points from 31 games, 1.4516 points per game which would get you 67 points and 9th position based on last seasons table.

8)

I accept the fact that your original claims were just rubbish then.

Rodgers is lucky that after achieving a decent return with Watford (9th place having taken on a team in relegation trouble is a fair result) he's got much better material to work with now. A marginal improvement on what he got Watford to deliver would see him produce a playoff spot for us. Anything better and he's in the automatic spots.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 09 Jun 2009 16:29

Sun Tzu
TheMaraudingDog

8)

In what way was my original claim rubbish? I said won 'less than half' old boy 8)

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 09 Jun 2009 16:33

TheMaraudingDog
Sun Tzu

In what way was my original claim rubbish? I said won 'less than half' old boy 8)

And 23 of the managers in the division won half or fewer of their games ! Not done Martinez or Coyle much harm ....

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 09 Jun 2009 17:16

I don't think he was ever going to win the majority of games with a club that looked to be going nowhere but down, getting them up the table into a comfortable position in less than one season is pretty good going.
Every manager in football has had to start somewhere and I'm definitely looking forward to next season because going by the last one after Christmas this club has definitely needed an energy boost and I think a new young manager, who also has experience working with youth players just as we happen to have (potentialy) some of the best youngsters coming up the ranks, and also different coaches who will also have different ideas.
This could turn out to be a disaster but it could also turn out to be one of the best gambles in years if (given the time) he turns out to be another good manager.

Petercccccc

by Petercccccc » 09 Jun 2009 17:18

bare murkings on dis writing page

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 09 Jun 2009 17:20

Rodgers lost less than half his games.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2009 17:36

TheMaraudingDog

Please explain then. 31 games winning less than half doesn't seem like the sort of bloke that a club trying to get back into the Prem with some cash behind them should be going after.

Take Derby's last relegation from the Premier League. A manager could have come in there and still got them relegated, still losing most of 31 games. But had he got them to win 5, that would be the sign of a very good manager.

Pre Rodgers: 19 League games - 5 wins, 4 draws, 10 loses
26% wins, 21% draws, 53% loses - pts / game = 1 (46pts = 20th finish)
Relegation strugglers

Post Rodgers: 27 League games - 11 wins, 6 draws, 10 loses
41% wins, 22% draws, 37% loses - pts / game = 1.4 (66pts = 10th finish)
Mid-table team

It's the improvement that's important. He had largely the same players to work with but got a 15% improvement in results out of them which catapulted them up the table.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 09 Jun 2009 22:43

Ian Royal
TheMaraudingDog

Take Derby's last relegation from the Premier League. A manager could have come in there and still got them relegated, still losing most of 31 games. But had he got them to win 5, that would be the sign of a very good manager.

Pre Rodgers: 19 League games - 5 wins, 4 draws, 10 loses
26% wins, 21% draws, 53% loses - pts / game = 1 (46pts = 20th finish)
Relegation strugglers

Post Rodgers: 27 League games - 11 wins, 6 draws, 10 loses
41% wins, 22% draws, 37% loses - pts / game = 1.4 (66pts = 10th finish)
Mid-table team

It's the improvement that's important. He had largely the same players to work with but got a 15% improvement in results out of them which catapulted them up the table.

Good analysis, appreciated.

But with n=27 one has to take it with a mountain of salt. I'm with Marauding Dog and still regard him as a nobody.

But hey I'm sure the Madman knows what he's doing... as he did with McGhee and Parj after all.

who are ya?
Hob Nob Regular

by who are ya? » 09 Jun 2009 23:02

All managers are nobodys when they first start.

roberto_11

by roberto_11 » 09 Jun 2009 23:23

rg6royal I'd probably play tabb on the right and kebe on the left next season. Cisse and Jem in the middle.

Lucky for us you'e not the manager!

Kebe should go nowhere near our team next season

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 09 Jun 2009 23:31

It's reasonable to be sceptical.

But, he says the right things. He's worked with the best. He knows the club, he likes the club and town. He's got a fresh approach, he's worked with our up and coming youngsters at a formative age already. What managerial experience he has, has shown him to be pretty good.

That's about as positive as any manager we could have got. From the list of names put about, Curbishley had a much longer CV, but most of his best work was with one club and he's been less successful in his more recent appointments.

That's just an example of how you can find something about any manager. Not a suggestion that Rodgers is a better choice.

The Royal We

by The Royal We » 09 Jun 2009 23:51

Ian Royal It's reasonable to be sceptical.

But, he says the right things. He's worked with the best. He knows the club, he likes the club and town. He's got a fresh approach, he's worked with our up and coming youngsters at a formative age already. What managerial experience he has, has shown him to be pretty good.

That's about as positive as any manager we could have got. From the list of names put about, Curbishley had a much longer CV, but most of his best work was with one club and he's been less successful in his more recent appointments.

That's just an example of how you can find something about any manager. Not a suggestion that Rodgers is a better choice.

I think that's that's a pretty good summary. His appointment didn't make me collapse with excitement, but there are positives to it. And was there really anyone vastly superior available that would have taken the job?