Did you see that Tranmere game?

Spudulika

Re: Did you see that Tranmere game?

by Spudulika » 13 Jun 2009 12:53

Thaumagurist* The one where Robin Friday scored his spectacular goal?

No, I didn't. I can't imagine many people on here can claim to have seen it. Only the older nobbers probably.

Yes, I was there - it was the first year I really started supporting Reading.

I remember being at the match and where I was standing (behind the town-end goal), but can't remember Friday's goal at all :-( It was a great match though - exciting for me as it was the first time I'd seen Reading thrash another team, and importantly at the time, a team that was a promotion rival that year.

reading fc rock leroylero

by reading fc rock leroylero » 13 Jun 2009 14:13

Can someone describe the Friday goal please, what was so spectacular about it?

Although, i was there. It was a sunny Sunday morning kick off if i recall correctly. :wink:

strap
Hob Nob Regular

by strap » 13 Jun 2009 15:00

Went to both the Tranmere games mentioned, and even have the play-off first league recorded live on tape - although I think I lent it to a fellow nobber and never got it back??

The play-off game should have finished about 6-1 to us we so much better than them!!!

From Alan Sedunary Memory Lane prog v Port Vale 31/03/79

31/03/76 - ELM PARK'S GREATEST GOAL!
Few of the 10,961 fans lucky enough to be at Elm Park three years ago will need to be told any more than "Reading 5, Tranmere O", to bring back memories of one of Reading's best League performances in recent years. The two sides were fighting for promotion and produced a classis battle for an hour with Reading a little flattered with a two goal lead, both from John Murray penalty kicks. Tranmere were getting right back into the game and only a great defensive display, with John Turner and Steve Hetzke outstanding, had kept them at bay. Just when the visitors looked as if they might pull a goal back they were destroyed by a moment of sheer magic. A long clearance dropped towards Robin Friday. In one movement he trapped the ball at head height and volleyed it into the roof of the net from 25 yards. World Cup referee Clive Thomas held his head in amazement while a national daily paper described it as "the goal of the season — or any other season". For Reading it was probably the most important goal in their promotion season since they rarely faultered in the promotion run in. They certainly never faultered against Tranmere and John Murray went on to complete his hat-trick with a typical blockbuster while Friday rounded off the scoring.

Blue Biscuit

by Blue Biscuit » 13 Jun 2009 16:12

Were there really 10,000 people at that game..? My memory of it is that the ground was half empty. I would have thought he was further out than 25 yards. I was in the South Bank level with the six-yard box of the in which RF scored. Obviously my view was rather distorted.! Was a fantastic evening.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Jun 2009 17:52

rhroyal What was the attendance of the Tranmere game with THAT Robin Friday goal? I'd like to know simply because I swear there are a greater number fans claiming to have seen it. I wish I could have seen it. Instead I just try and piece it together in my head based on what I hear people say. I'm sure I'll never see it. :cry:

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Jun 2009 17:54

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 13 Jun 2009 17:58

Just recalled that Ronnie Moore was up front for Tranny that night and he got the tin-tack from them last week.

southstand67

by southstand67 » 13 Jun 2009 19:38

No, I wasn't there. One of a few supporters who can put their hand on their heart and claim not to have been there. :wink:

dean horrix legend

by dean horrix legend » 15 Jun 2009 09:27

I was there,24 days short of my 12th birthday.I can honestly say I don't remember anything about the game or the other 22 games we played at home that season.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Jun 2009 10:22

I saw the Robin Friday goal against Tranmere from sitting on the wall at the Tilehurst End, it was scored at the Town End.

As I recall the ball was played into him with his back to goal on the edge or corner of the penalty area to the left of the goal.

He flicked it up across the defender and then swivelled and volleyed it in one movement, crashing it into the right hand corner of the net.

The closest goal to that I've seen is maybe the Justin Fashanu goal for Norwich against Liverpool, or the Mark Hughes volleyed effort.

The uncanny thing that I remember is that when the ball went in the net, everyone seemed to freeze. The crowd seemed eerily silent for a few seconds before the ground erupted.

Clive Thomas was reffing that day and I think he talked about 'that goal' in his later published book.

After the goal he famously dropped to the ground on his knees with his head in his hands, still not believing Friday had scored.

Crazy days. I recall the crowd that day being around 13,000.

Blue and White Toucan

by Blue and White Toucan » 15 Jun 2009 10:36

I was there in the Reading (Town) end. Was 8 years old but don't really remember much about the game TBH but I thought that 'the' goal was at the Tilehurst end?

This, the 7-0 against Barnsley and Gilksys 'late, late' penalty would probably be my best 3 moments at EP.

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 Jun 2009 10:43

it was the Tilehurst end :roll:

Nick Shorey my Lord!
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Nick Shorey my Lord! » 15 Jun 2009 10:44

The Prisoner http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifEuoeshHFk for the first game - if you think things were bad last season at least you didn't have to watch that sh1t every week.

Jesus wept, that's the Reading I know and love. Is that Mautone playing the fool?

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Jun 2009 11:05

LUX it was the Tilehurst end :roll:

Are you sure?

LUX
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by LUX » 15 Jun 2009 11:22

yes. I only stood behind that goal.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Jun 2009 11:27

LUX yes. I only stood behind that goal.

Bloddy hell, it's amazing how time plays tricks with your memory.

Blue Biscuit

by Blue Biscuit » 15 Jun 2009 12:03

It was definitely the 'Tilehurst End'. Clive Thomas put his head in his hands but I don't remember him falling to his knees. I had forgotten about the eerie silence immediately after the goal, and then the place just errupted.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 15 Jun 2009 15:24

Blue Biscuit It was definitely the 'Tilehurst End'. Clive Thomas put his head in his hands but I don't remember him falling to his knees. I had forgotten about the eerie silence immediately after the goal, and then the place just errupted.

Maybe it was all a dream and never happened at all.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 15 Jun 2009 16:38

I was a both Tranmere games, the Friday goal was at the Tilehurst End from the Southbank side.

My other memory of that game was hearing the seats sing for the first time ever (Reading stomp stomp).

Dick Habbin's hairdo
Hob Nob Regular

by Dick Habbin's hairdo » 15 Jun 2009 18:36

Blue and White Toucan This, the 7-0 against Barnsley and Gilksys 'late, late' penalty would probably be my best 3 moments at EP.

B&W Toucan - Blimey - I thought I was the only one that remembered the 7-0 vs Barnsley. Can't remember which year but it was on or about my birthday, 29th December, I didn't want for anything else.... Dean Horrix - Barn door with a banjo? :roll: