Oh when the Saints, go...

310 posts
bobby m's syrup

Re: Oh when the Saints, go...

by bobby m's syrup » 30 Jun 2009 17:55

Looking on the odd Conference team message board, the overall feeling seems geared towards Saints going the Aldershot route. They don't seem to be very welcome as a side which has parachuted in from on high. I also hear that Conference rules are even stricter on proper finances than the FL.

They could always let Bournemouth play at St Marys I suppose.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 30 Jun 2009 18:59

London Irish can make St Mary's their home venue!!

FiNeRaIn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by FiNeRaIn » 30 Jun 2009 19:12

bobby m's syrup They could always let Bournemouth play at St Marys I suppose.

Why would bournemouth want to when they have a new stadium of their own?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Jun 2009 19:41

bobby m's syrup Looking on the odd Conference team message board, the overall feeling seems geared towards Saints going the Aldershot route. They don't seem to be very welcome as a side which has parachuted in from on high. I also hear that Conference rules are even stricter on proper finances than the FL.

It would be down among the dead men and whatever the Hampshire version of the Combined Counties League is. What I struggle to understand is that in the past the likes of Bristol City were wound up and a new Company (eg Bristol City 1984 plc) formed in its place. Why doesn't that happen this time around?

Jackson Corner
Hob Nob Regular

by Jackson Corner » 30 Jun 2009 20:35

Terminal Boardom
bobby m's syrup Looking on the odd Conference team message board, the overall feeling seems geared towards Saints going the Aldershot route. They don't seem to be very welcome as a side which has parachuted in from on high. I also hear that Conference rules are even stricter on proper finances than the FL.

It would be down among the dead men and whatever the Hampshire version of the Combined Counties League is. What I struggle to understand is that in the past the likes of Bristol City were wound up and a new Company (eg Bristol City 1984 plc) formed in its place. Why doesn't that happen this time around?

It was becouse of incidents like this where clubs took the piss, they decided to be harder on clubs who went out of business.
Saints will have to go the same route as Aldershot and Wimbledon, and reform in the 5th tier of non league football.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 30 Jun 2009 20:50

Jackson Corner
Terminal Boardom

It was becouse of incidents like this where clubs took the piss, they decided to be harder on clubs who went out of business.
Saints will have to go the same route as Aldershot and Wimbledon, and reform in the 5th tier of non league football.

Please let this be a lesson to all who want SJM to spend, spend, spend.

Something else I dont understand is how Southampton were able to get into this mess. In the not too distant past they sold Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott to Yids and Arse repectively for about £25m. Where has it all gone?

bobbybottler
Hob Nob Regular

by bobbybottler » 30 Jun 2009 22:04

My understanding was that Southampton City Council were planning to buy St Marys as a last resort, and then lease it to the club for matches until such time as it could be bought back...thereby clearing some of the debt and making the club less unattractive to potential suitors.

No idea why Pinnacle pulled out though - did due diligence show up show horrors when the books were examined?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 30 Jun 2009 22:06

New stadium, stupid wages structure... dodgy owner?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jun 2009 22:37

Meridian claiming two of the three potential buyers have now pulled out, and only the Swiss group remain. Deal must be done by Friday...

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 30 Jun 2009 22:40

What if it's not?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 30 Jun 2009 22:45

SLAMMED
Hob Nob Addict

by SLAMMED » 30 Jun 2009 22:55

Didn't really answer my question, but :lol:

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 30 Jun 2009 23:25

FiNeRaIn
bobby m's syrup They could always let Bournemouth play at St Marys I suppose.

Why would bournemouth want to when they have a new stadium of their own?

And why would they want to move to a stadium double the size of the one they currently play in when they can't even fill that?

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 01 Jul 2009 09:04

No doubt i'm going to be called a big gheyer, but I think it's pretty pathetic to see posters revelling in Southampton's plight and hoping for the club's complete obliteration for no other reason (that I can think of) other than one of their players talking out of his arse three years ago. I can't think of much else to dislike Southampton for.

They have a fan base not dissimilar to ours, the majority of who will be normal decent fans who will be literally devasted by their club going out of the league through circumstances completely beyond their control, as I and many other would be devasted were it to happen to Reading.

And, as we all know, there but for the grace of god go us, or any number of other clubs, it's the luck of the draw who you have running your club and the fans can do little to nothing if an incompetent or a crook takes over. Given our chairman is keen to sell, maybe those laughing at Southampton should reflect on that and, possibly, not be such twats and have a bit of compassion for their fellow football supporter.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Jul 2009 09:10

Terminal Boardom

Please let this be a lesson to all who want SJM to spend, spend, spend.

Something else I dont understand is how Southampton were able to get into this mess. In the not too distant past they sold Gareth Bale and Theo Walcott to Yids and Arse repectively for about £25m. Where has it all gone?

Thing is - did they spend, spend, spend?

If anything they sold, sold, sold? :|
Seriously, I'd actually like a solid answer to this because, at first glance, they really did seem to operating within their means.

Oh.

It doesn't coincide with the short Harry Redknapp spell does it? :|

Leicester was the key one iirc.

No doubt i'm going to be called a big gheyer, but I think it's pretty pathetic to see posters revelling in Southampton's plight and hoping for the club's complete obliteration for no other reason (that I can think of) other than one of their players talking out of his arse three years ago. I can't think of much else to dislike Southampton for.

They have a fan base not dissimilar to ours, the majority of who will be normal decent fans who will be literally devasted by their club going out of the league through circumstances completely beyond their control, as I and many other would be devasted were it to happen to Reading.

And, as we all know, there but for the grace of god go us, or any number of other clubs, it's the luck of the draw who you have running your club and the fans can do little to nothing if an incompetent or a crook takes over. Given our chairman is keen to sell, maybe those laughing at Southampton should reflect on that and, possibly, not be such twats and have a bit of compassion for their fellow football supporter.

This.

One of the things that I like to keep at the back of my head is that Reading and Oxford diverged at a key point when Madejski got the move to the new stadium right and Kassam didn't. Madejski seemed to realise that having the stadium was useless without some investment in the side and from 2000 onwards, we did spend the money to get out of the third tier.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 01 Jul 2009 09:12

Schards#2 No doubt i'm going to be called a big gheyer, but I think it's pretty pathetic to see posters revelling in Southampton's plight and hoping for the club's complete obliteration for no other reason (that I can think of) other than one of their players talking out of his arse three years ago. I can't think of much else to dislike Southampton for.

+100

Silver Fox
Hob Nob Legend

by Silver Fox » 01 Jul 2009 09:18

'greed with Schards the big gheyer

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 01 Jul 2009 11:22

At the time, I wanted Mr Mad to invest in the team as well as the stadium, so that we didn't get relegated just before we moved in. In hindsight, it hasn't done us too badly. Otherwise, very much agreed with chards and Paps.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 01 Jul 2009 11:26

papereyes

Leicester was the key one iirc.

And Bradford too.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 01 Jul 2009 11:38

Quiet apart from that, there was a major change in the law too - the Enterprise Act 2002 considerably changed the legal processes and statuses related to insolvency.

310 posts