Gerrard

boy1985

Gerrard

by boy1985 » 21 Jul 2009 14:37

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/mers ... 160783.stm
Gerrard 'struck with boxer speed'
Liverpool footballer Steven Gerrard "totally lost it" and hit a man "with the style and speed of a boxer" during a row over music, a court has heard.

Marcus McGee, 34, was assaulted by the England midfielder when he refused to hand over control of a CD player at the Lounge Inn, Southport, it was alleged.

Mr Gerrard, 29, took offence when the businessman refused the request, said David Turner QC, prosecuting.

Mr Gerrard, on trial at Liverpool Crown Court, denies affray.

The midfielder, of Formby, had been celebrating Liverpool's 5-1 Premier League win over Newcastle United at the Lounge Inn in the early hours of on 29 December 2008.

Mr Gerrard was with friends when his party clashed with Mr McGee.

David Turner QC, prosecuting, told the court Mr Gerrard asked Mr McGee for a card that controlled the CD player, saying: "Here y'are lad. Give me that lad."

Mr Turner said: "Mr McGee took offence at his attitude and the expression 'lad' and he refused.

“ Steven Gerrard joined in the attack with a succession of well aimed uppercut punches ”
David Turner QC Prosecuting
"Not many people on Merseyside, or indeed anywhere else, would refuse a request from Steven Gerrard but Mr McGee did.

"He (Mr Gerrard) walked away back to his party but the CCTV shows how much his mood had changed."

After about six minutes Mr Gerrard returned to the victim and confronted him, the court heard.

Mr McGee, who was in charge of music for the night, stood up to Mr Gerrard and the pair were head-to-head, the court was told.

One of Mr Gerrard's friends, John Doran, who has admitted affray, pushed Mr McGee away but "could not resist following through with his right elbow into Mr McGee's face", said Mr Turner.

"We say at this stage Gerrard totally lost it," he said.

'Lost self-control'

"Almost immediately after the blow from John Doran, in fact within seconds, Steven Gerrard joined in the attack with a succession of well aimed uppercut punches delivered with the style and speed of a professional boxer rather than a professional footballer."

Mr Turner said there "was no doubt" Mr Gerrard struck Mr McGee and said the issue for the jury to decide was whether he was acting in self-defence.

He said: "Steven Gerrard is a world class footballer. He has the honour to be captain of Liverpool FC and to play for England.

"He is a star. He is Liverpool born and bred and here on Merseyside is a hero.

"We do not say that Mr Gerrard is normally an arrogant man, we don't say that he is a bully.

"What we do say is that that night he just lost his self control and joined in an attack which should never have taken place. He let himself down."

The jury watched CCTV footage that showed Mr Gerrard and his friends dancing, singing and drinking in The Lounge Inn.

It showed the footballer talking to Mr McGee at the bar for 23 seconds, then Mr Doran elbowing him, and then Mr Gerrard apparently throwing punches.

Mr Doran, 29, of Woodlands Road, Ian Gerrard Smith, 19, of Hilary Avenue and Paul McGrattan, 31, of Linden Drive, all Huyton, admit affray.

Accrington Stanley footballers Robert Grant, 19, of Enstone Avenue, Litherland, and Ian Dunbavin, 28, of Guildford Road, Southport, also admitted affray.

John McGrattan, 34, of Rimmer Avenue, Huyton, admitted threatening behaviour after denying affray.

The trial continues.

LOL at someone being in charge of the CD player for the night. I bet he was also the milk monitor at school.

PlasticRoyale
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Gerrard

by PlasticRoyale » 21 Jul 2009 14:49

This seasons Joey Barton

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Jul 2009 14:58

Difference being it seems this (the alleged punches) wasn't caught on CCTV.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Jul 2009 15:21

cmonurz Difference being it seems this (the alleged punches) wasn't caught on CCTV.

It showed the footballer talking to Mr McGee at the bar for 23 seconds, then Mr Doran elbowing him, and then Mr Gerrard apparently throwing punches.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Jul 2009 15:23

TBM
cmonurz Difference being it seems this (the alleged punches) wasn't caught on CCTV.

Oh. I didn't get that far. :oops:

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Jul 2009 18:20

Just showed the footage on the news, tut tut Mr Gerrard!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Jul 2009 19:03

What really is amazing is that Merseyside Police have set up a special incident room for this case, with a dedicated team of detectives working all hours to make sure that every little detail is taken care of and there's no problems with the evidence - apparently they take this extra care (and expense) for every case involving a "celebrity".

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 21 Jul 2009 22:09

soggy biscuit Just showed the footage on the news, tut tut Mr Gerrard!

Maybe I am missing something but all I can make out is Gerrard getting a forearm across the face as it starts to kick off

The rest isnt very clear

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 22 Jul 2009 00:18

Southbank Old Boy

Maybe I am missing something but all I can make out is Gerrard getting a forearm across the face as it starts to kick off

The rest isnt very clear

No that was Mark McGhee getting the forearm

Southbank Old Boy
Hob Nob Regular

by Southbank Old Boy » 22 Jul 2009 07:46

:?

Fair enough, looks like the bloke is wearing similar clothing to Gerrard then

I looked at it again and still cant see the flurry of punches from Gerrard, although he does admit to swing at him a few times

wickedwhispers

by wickedwhispers » 22 Jul 2009 09:27

Community service for SG I reckon.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 22 Jul 2009 09:33

Clear as you like, Gerrard throwing punches after his mate hits the DJ. DJ throws nothing back, Gerrard jumps in with 5 other people who have all admitted their guilt. Lads with no previous would get sent down for this. 6 months at least. Come on courts, don't bottle this!

Hoop Blah
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Hoop Blah » 22 Jul 2009 09:36

TheMaraudingDog Clear as you like, Gerrard throwing punches after his mate hits the DJ. DJ throws nothing back, Gerrard jumps in with 5 other people who have all admitted their guilt. Lads with no previous would get sent down for this. 6 months at least. Come on courts, don't bottle this!

Lads with no previous getting sent down? Your having a laugh.

I know plenty with previous who have gone to court over much more than this and got suspended sentences or community service at the most.

Gerrard has admitted he threw punches but is claiming it was self defence whereas the others who have pleaded guilty all seemed to have steamed in after and finished the job off for him!

buzzby
Hob Nob Regular

by buzzby » 22 Jul 2009 09:47

When will he find out? I need to know if I should put him in my Dreamteam this year

wickedwhispers

by wickedwhispers » 22 Jul 2009 10:03

Should be banned from representing his Country IMO. Disgrace.

PurpleTurtle

by PurpleTurtle » 22 Jul 2009 11:30

TBM
Southbank Old Boy

The rest isnt very clear

No that was Mark McGhee getting the forearm

I see what you did there, wishful thinking for FSB!? Isn't it Marcus McGhee?

Typical ufcking scousers, weighing in mob handed on one bloke. If Stevie Me gets away with this I'll be astounded. His defence of "I started punching him as I thought he was going to hit me" just doesn't hold water - the bloke has just had an elbow in the face off his mate.

All over some Phil Collins as well. What an absolute cocksucker Gerrard is.

Mr Optimist
Hob Nob Regular

by Mr Optimist » 22 Jul 2009 12:47

Sounds like Mr Gerrard is not used to people saying no to him, bless.

Don't you know who I am??????????????

Rax

by Rax » 23 Jul 2009 00:09

Actually, I really hope Gerrard gets sent down for this, typical reaction from the ovepaid elite that 'we can have anything because we're famous...' - no doubt the Courts will bottle this and not set an example of the nasty little thug but we can hope.

Oh Gerrard, Gerrard
Whatever will be, will be,
You're off to the Scrubs, you see,
Ta-ta, Ta-ta!

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 23 Jul 2009 05:51

I slagged Gerrard off when this was originally reported, seeing the full (yawn) CCTV evidence, he retaliated after receiving a smack in the face.
He'll get comparativley nothing, fair enough.
I'd do the same.

boy1985

by boy1985 » 23 Jul 2009 08:45

he did noooooo get a smack in the face noooooooooooo.