1%
Gunnarson
3%

Total votes: 257
LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

Re: New Captain Poll

by LoyalRoyalFan » 27 Jul 2009 19:13

Dirk Gently But Rodgers has also said that his Captain will need to be someone who's sure of starting every single match - just can't see that with Brynar, I'm afraid.

So that rules out Harper then.

Cookie

by Cookie » 27 Jul 2009 19:16

Sarah Star Rodgers has just started talking Gunnarsson up though tbf.

I agree. Bryn would be an ideal captain.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jul 2009 19:26

Gunnarsson would be a rubbish captain mostly because he shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place as he's past it.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 27 Jul 2009 19:30

Cookie

I read that short interview too, he'd be a popular appointment I guess, he's a decent Pro, but that means that BR rates him as a starting midfielder.
I guess that the big bumper book of soccer tactics have found a quality position for Gunnar.
Perhaps Defensive Midfielder a' la el tel Xmas tree?

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 27 Jul 2009 19:45

TBF to Gunnar, although he can't handle being in a 2-man midfield anymore, he may well really prosper playing that holding role, very much like Graham Alexander did for Burnley last season.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 27 Jul 2009 19:53

Cookie

Whether he'd make a good captain or not I don't know, I just thought it was telling that he was being talked up as a good character by Brendan Rodgers before he makes his decision.

I do think he's underestimated by some people on here though.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 27 Jul 2009 19:57

Sarah Star
Cookie

Whether he'd make a good captain or not I don't know, I just thought it was telling that he was being talked up as a good character by Brendan Rodgers before he makes his decision.

I do think he's underestimated by some people on here though.

To be fair, Rodgers would be talking up the Tea Lady given that this part of the season is all about being optimistic, showing that we're on the right road etc...

Bryn's a model pro, no doubt about that, but if he's not first choice to play in midfield or defence, then he shouldn't be considered. Club captain, sure...but not a playing captain.

fester_royal

by fester_royal » 27 Jul 2009 21:46

personally i cant see many 'leaders' within our squad at all. Ivar? as good as he does when he is called upon, isnt enough of a leader, he isnt vocal enough and doesnt make his presence known in my opinion.
Harper?, apart from openly saying he doesnt want the job, was there for all to see last year. when he was given the job his performances immediately fell off.
Bikey? well if (big if)someone could tame him i could see it maybe in a few years.
Brynn? i really cant see it tbh, experienced; level headed and the plays in the right position to command the field, but i really cant see him playing all season and in the last year/ 18 month his performances can be described as ok at best.
the only player I feel shows an ounce of captain in their performance is Pearce and with a season or two under his belt would be a shoe in.. for now i really cant see a natural leader out there which is why i cant see us doing too much this year at all.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 27 Jul 2009 21:55

Time to contradict myself.

Bryn IS being talked up by BR
Harps has clearly stated that he doesn't want it
Is Ivar too old school?
Alex Pearce is a future captain. Just not yet
Give it to Bikey.

Yes, I slagged the nutter off something chronic for his dismissal at turd moor. It looks like he is staying so, how better to channel the "loose spirit" than by giving him the reponsibility of the captaincy?

Alternatively, let Royalee appoint the captain cos he obviously knows best :roll:

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jul 2009 22:41

Yep, give it to Pearce - I trust King Brendan though.

AthleticoSpizz
Hob Nob Legend

by AthleticoSpizz » 27 Jul 2009 22:45

Royalee Gunnarsson would be a rubbish captain mostly because he shouldn't be on the pitch in the first place as he's past it.
Yep, Royalee for Assistant Manager

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 27 Jul 2009 23:00

I'd be world class, much better than Dillon.

thewoodis

by thewoodis » 28 Jul 2009 09:47

Negative_Jeff

by Negative_Jeff » 28 Jul 2009 10:15

I think most people would agree that the optimum position for captain would be central midfield or defender. Apparantly Harper doesn`t want the job and Gunnarsson cannot play more than two consecutive games. Marek might play too far forward but nobody really nails down a midfield spot. At the back there are big doubts about the fitness of the ideal choice Ingimarsson, and Bikey is out for five games. Unless there is a big surge from the impressive Davies only one player looks set to start every game, he is mouthy and is extremely confident in his own ability. Shit, the more I think about it it has to be Rosenior.

weybridgewanderer
Hob Nob Regular

by weybridgewanderer » 28 Jul 2009 12:12

Pity there is not an option of a new signing being brought in as club captain.

Ivar could be next captain but is injured. We have others that could be captain material but may need to prove themselves as a player first, pearce, jem ...

Snowball
Hob Nob Legend

by Snowball » 28 Jul 2009 12:21

Elsewhere I have convinced myself that Bikey as Captain, maturing a bit more anyway
could lead us to the top spot in this league (possibly this year but probably in the 2010-11 season)

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 28 Jul 2009 12:37

This is why the whole notion of the importance of a Captain is overblown in my opinion. We're scratching around trying for fit someone into a role and the likeliest candidates it would seem are not even close to being guaranteed of playing on a regular basis next season. Just name a club captain who will best serve the club overall on and off the field and if he plays he gets the armband but if he doesn't then give it to someone else the armband on a match day. if there are natural leaders in this squad then they'll come to the fore anyway. Sticking some gubbins on their arm and calling a coin toss isn't gonna make that much difference.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 28 Jul 2009 21:59

Vision This is why the whole notion of the importance of a Captain is overblown in my opinion. We're scratching around trying for fit someone into a role and the likeliest candidates it would seem are not even close to being guaranteed of playing on a regular basis next season. Just name a club captain who will best serve the club overall on and off the field and if he plays he gets the armband but if he doesn't then give it to someone else the armband on a match day. if there are natural leaders in this squad then they'll come to the fore anyway. Sticking some gubbins on their arm and calling a coin toss isn't gonna make that much difference.

Pretty much what I have said elsewhere.

gazzer, loyal royal
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Khalifa Cisse sleeps with the light on, not because he is afraid of the dark, but because the dark i

by gazzer, loyal royal » 28 Jul 2009 22:20

as i said before I'd expect Bryn as club captain like Ledley is at Spurs and Pearce the on pitch captain

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 31 Jul 2009 12:18

Whoever the captain is against Chelsea will most likely get it.
Get me and my stating the obvious!

160 posts