What the Papers Say: Season 09/10 Previews

153 posts
Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: What the Papers Say: Season 09/10 Previews

by Thaumagurist* » 03 Aug 2009 16:58

Royalee
Thaumagurist*
Royalee Mark McGhee and Alan Pardew both did more for the club's long term progress than Coppell also.

Wha....................????

:shock: :shock: :shock:

I'd rate Coppell's 2005/6 side much higher than McGhoo's 1994 side and Pardoo's 2001/2 side. :roll:

Different starting points, of course the team we won the Championship with was better, but Coppell had a far better starting point than the previous two and as a direct result of their work.

You may say that, but I'd argue that Coppell left Reading in a better state than McGhoo and Pardoo ever did.

McGhoo:
Took the backroom staff from Reading and returned at the end of season to rob us of Taylor. And then next season robbed us of Williams and Gilkes. Where did Reading go after this? Downwards, of course!

Pardoo:
Sold Butler and brought in Goater. Also bought Murray who was a bit duff. Attempted to sign Shorey from us. It took Coppell two seasons to re-shape the team.

If you look at the team now, I'd reckon Rodgers has a better starting position than Coppell, Pardoo and McGhoo ever had.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:02

Royalee Terminally moronic people can't see through sentiment and fanfare - I can with Coppell whereas you cannot.

really?
seems weird to say that about someone who criticised coppell a fair bit last season
i reckon im pretty balanced to be fair-quite happy to say when i thought hed cocked up.
little and kitson, playing of lita for such a long period after his loan ended, refusal to play bikey(though that looks less of a mistake given what followed) etc etc

whereas you are looking increasingly ........unbalanced,

+ sentiment and fanfare could be about the negative too you know..........
and its funny that you seem so pleased with your ability to see through fanfare and sentiment with coppell
but are utterly swamped by it regarding rodgers.

anyway, thankyou for the diversion this afternoon.

but now, enough of your flim flam
away with you, you pesky gnat.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Aug 2009 17:15

No I'm very much balanced thanks, I judge Rodgers on what I predicted he'd do when he came in and what he's actively doing now. You really are short-sighted.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:17

only without my glasses :lol:

lets have a poll about whether royalee is "balanced"

in any definition of the word.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:19

Royalee No I'm very much balanced thanks, I judge Rodgers on what I predicted he'd do when he came in and what he's actively doing now. You really are short-sighted.

so you judge coppell, on nowt to do with his achievements at all.
and judge rodgers purely on your own predictions, and the promise of what he may do in the future......

MMmmmm thats balanced

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 03 Aug 2009 17:21

No, Rodgers is using the youngsters at his disposal and fitting the formation to the players we have at our disposal - Coppell didn't. Coppell got one promotion and one relegation, we stood still with him - Rodgers is looking to take us forward and will do.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:22

Royalee No, Rodgers is using the youngsters at his disposal and fitting the formation to the players we have at our disposal - Coppell didn't. Coppell got one promotion and one relegation, we stood still with him - Rodgers is looking to take us forward and will do.

BaLOLanced!

and thats an end to it.........

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 03 Aug 2009 17:24

Utter twaddle. Coppell did use Shane Long, Jem Karacan, Alex Pearce and Julian Kelly.

Did Pardew ever use as many youngsters? Henderson and Tyson, I think.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Aug 2009 17:26

I miss you guys.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:26

Royalee No, Rodgers is using the youngsters at his disposal and fitting the formation to the players we have at our disposal - Coppell didn't. Coppell got one promotion and one relegation, we stood still with him - Rodgers is looking to take us forward and will do.

one more thing before i go...............

you forgot to mention the 8th place finish which coincidentally is the greatest finish in our long history
nor the extra info, that the promotion you mention was actually the record for any club in that division(and the second best finish in our long history).........
nor last season...

etc etc

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:28

we stood still with him

funniest thing ive ever seen in print.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2009 17:28

Royalee, you spout so much toss abou Coppell it's unbelievable. You simply are incapable of rational and dispassionate thought once you have made your mind up about something. Which is a crying shame, because when you talk about things that you haven't just arbitrarily decided your massive bias is correct about, you talk some pretty good sense.

May I remind you, that it was Coppell who gave Henry, Kelly, Pearce, Karacan, Church, Cox & Siggurdsson their first team debuts and was in charge of the club when the loans which have massively helped developed the younger players were put in place.

Players like Henry, Karacan, Pearce, Church, Cox, Siggurdsson, Davies, Robson-Kanu, Hamer and so on, almost all of which are now considered good enough to compete in the first team squad.

Not that any of this has anything to do with THIS thread.

There is nothing wrong with the Times predicting us 10th. We've lost a lot of proven players and are relying heavily on youngsters, a new system and a relatively untested manager.

Sheffield are not a bad call for top, they'll be there or there abouts as they have been for several seasons. Yes they've lost players, but they're no worse a call than plenty of other teams.

Newcastle in 20th is probably a bit low, but it's no worse than predicting them top 4.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 03 Aug 2009 17:35

I might as well post this here:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... l?ITO=1490

Daily Mail 49. Shane Long (Reading)One of a number of Irishmen who have under former Royals boss Steve Coppell at the Madjeski Stadium. Long looks destined for bigger and better things - could this be the year the forward proves it?

Daily Mail 48. Stephen Hunt (Reading)The Republic of Ireland international has long been linked with moves to the Premier League. Everton, Aston Villa and more recently Portsmouth have been linked with the 28-year-old. A good start to the season is likely to result in a move to the top-flight.

Daily Mail 46. Liam Rosenior (Reading)The former England Under 21 international was highly-rated at Fulham before his switch to the Royals in 2007. Rosneior's versatility could be key for Brendan Rodgers' men this season.

I wonder when they're going to do the next 40? :roll:

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 03 Aug 2009 17:37

Christ if Rosenior and Long have made it, half our squad will be in there.

Archie's penalty
Hob Nob Addict

by Archie's penalty » 03 Aug 2009 17:40

The division is still pretty bad. I think I might revise my prediction up to the playoffs from 10th.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 03 Aug 2009 17:47

Regarding standing still- if you climbed to the top of everest,but came down again, have you stood still? In royalee world, yes.youve achieved nowt.

Ark Royal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Ark Royal » 03 Aug 2009 18:05

RoyalBird Newcastle, despite possible financial problems and being unable to slip away from the media, still have quality players in their squad, some who are far better than Championship standard (Obafemi Martins for example). WBA to top because they still play a good brand of football and have stubbornly kept most of their squad who have gone up before.

Would that be a different Obafemi Martins that signed for Wolfsburg last week? There will be others wanting to leave this sinking ship fast.

Newcastle are in deep shit. Unless something happens soon, I also think they really could be involved in a relegation fight. Nobody is immune in this division. Just ask Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Charlton.

readingbedding
Hob Nob Regular

by readingbedding » 03 Aug 2009 18:13

Ark Royal
RoyalBird Newcastle, despite possible financial problems and being unable to slip away from the media, still have quality players in their squad, some who are far better than Championship standard (Obafemi Martins for example). WBA to top because they still play a good brand of football and have stubbornly kept most of their squad who have gone up before.

Would that be a different Obafemi Martins that signed for Wolfsburg last week? There will be others wanting to leave this sinking ship fast.

Newcastle are in deep shit. Unless something happens soon, I also think they really could be involved in a relegation fight. Nobody is immune in this division. Just ask Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Charlton.

If they had a clean bill of health financially, it would be a good opportunity for someone to take over that club.
Trouble about them is that they are phucked, and yeah perhaps it will have to get worse for them before it gets better.
Examples like these are good to remember for clubs in future, even teams nr the top can get burnt.

yappy

by yappy » 03 Aug 2009 18:19

Ark Royal Newcastle are in deep shit. Unless something happens soon, I also think they really could be involved in a relegation fight. Nobody is immune in this division. Just ask Leeds, Leicester, Southampton, Norwich, Charlton.

Haven't got the stats to back it up, but didn't all those teams do fairly well in their first season in the Championship? Pretty sure it wasn't until the 2nd season that they fell into a relegation battle.

yappy

by yappy » 03 Aug 2009 18:36

Ok, did my research.

Leeds relegated from Prem 2003/4 season.
1st season in Championship finished 5th, followed by relegation the next season.

Leicester relegated from Prem also in 2003/4 season.
1st season finished 16th, then 19th, followed by relegation the next season.

Southampton relegated from Prem in 2004/5 season.
1st season finished 12th, then 6th, then 20th, followed by relegation the subsequent season.

Norwich also relegated from Prem in 2004/5 season.
1st season finished 9th, then 16th, then 17th, followed by relegation the subsequent season.

Charlton relegated from Prem 2006/2007 season.
1st season finished 11th, followed by relegation the next season.

Yes nobody is immune, but struggling in the first season is quite rare (even though I am surprised only Leeds managed a top six finish in their first season down!)

153 posts