Matthew Mills - SIGNED

455 posts
moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: Matthew Mills - SIGNED

by moo » 06 Aug 2009 21:01

Sarah Star Thanks Moo. I can see that you need players who work together at the back, but does that mean even if we're 4 goals ahead or more with 10 minutes to spare we wouldn't send him on?

I think its safe to say we could send Kingsley on if thats the case! :lol:

Having Mills on the bench might be a possibility - at least he's a natural centre back, but i'd be shocked if he comes on if theres no injuries/red cards/4-0 leads

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 21:10

Ian Royal Look back through the match reports Sarah, and see how often you find a centreback brought on to play at centreback when the substitution wasn't enforced by injury.

It's rare. Not as rare as subbing your keeper, but still very rare.

Of course I can't provide you with stats to prove it, because I'm not that much of a loser and don't need numbers to prove what my experience of watching football for almost 15 years tells me when it's blatantly obvious.

(I hope you realise that's not a dig at you.)

I did have a look at a few matches and found one occasion when it happened without any obvious mention of injury (Ingimarsson on for Duberry on the 70th minute), but it admittedly it doesn't seem to happen regularly and I can't remember all the games in enough detail to be sure why it happened here.

moo
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by moo » 06 Aug 2009 21:11

Sarah Star
Ian Royal Look back through the match reports Sarah, and see how often you find a centreback brought on to play at centreback when the substitution wasn't enforced by injury.

Of course I can't provide you with stats to prove it, because I'm not that much of a loser and don't need numbers to prove what my experience of watching football for almost 15 years tells me when it's blatantly obvious.

I did have a look at a few matches and found one occasion when it happened without any obvious mention of injury (Ingimarsson on for Duberry on the 70th minute), but it admittedly it doesn't seem to happen regularly and I can't remember all the games in enough detail to be sure why it happened here.

What game?

Doobs did get a massive gash during one game last year.
Last edited by moo on 06 Aug 2009 21:13, edited 1 time in total.

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 06 Aug 2009 21:12

moo
Sarah Star

What game?

Doobs did get a massive gash during one game last year.

Luton in the cup

edit: no, I tell a lie, he was injured. I'm mixing it up with when Kelly came on for Armstrong in another match. Time for bed I think. :roll:

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 07 Aug 2009 10:29

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 07 Aug 2009 10:57

Another vid, from Rodgers this time..........interesting at the end he says, about Mills, that he's not a player he's brought in to sit on the bench!

http://www.getreading.co.uk/video/?bcpi ... 2612733001

wickedwhispers

by wickedwhispers » 07 Aug 2009 12:34

Is Matthew Mills still dating Hannah form Hollyoaks? (aka Emma Rigby)

Hope to see her in the players lounge this season if so!

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 07 Aug 2009 13:37

Sarah Star Thanks Moo. I can see that you need players who work together at the back, but does that mean even if we're 4 goals ahead or more with 10 minutes to spare we wouldn't send him on?

Another factor is that you might not want a substitute for a key position like centre-back to be somebody you're expecting is only good for a 10-min cameo when you're cruising. An injury in the first minute could force you to play him the whole match. Of course, if the FL has also extended the number of substitutes to 7 then that's less of an issue, but I suspect not - some L2 teams probably struggle to have 18 players, some weeks. Besides which, aside from the psychological factor of getting your debut out of the way, you're not going to learn much or get much benefit from sticking an unfit player in for a cameo. Burton is about the level of a pre-season friendly anyway, so it makes much more sense just to play him for the whole of that game, if he's fit enough. Then he has a chance to get to know at least one of the other centre-backs, and get a feel for how we play.

Sun Tzu
Hob Nob Regular

by Sun Tzu » 07 Aug 2009 13:41

Any idea why this idiotic an dutterly un necessary 18 man match day squad has come in ?

I could just about see extending it to 2 + a keeper on the bench but anything beyond that is farcical.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 07 Aug 2009 13:47

Presumably - as with most things - following pressure from the big teams. More substitutes on the bench enables them to respond more effectively to situations that arise in a match, and so reduce still further the risk for them of losing.

How long until the number of substitutions permitted rises to 5, to ensure they can protect more of their key players?

All of this really does tend to reduce the tactical nous of the game, of course.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 07 Aug 2009 14:15

Sun Tzu Any idea why this idiotic an dutterly un necessary 18 man match day squad has come in ?

I could just about see extending it to 2 + a keeper on the bench but anything beyond that is farcical.

1 GK
2 DF
2 MF
2 AT

You are then covered for every position on the field, twice, rather than playing a winger at full back etc if someone gets injured.

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 07 Aug 2009 14:19

Which just reinforces my point.

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by TBM » 07 Aug 2009 14:57

rabidbee Which just reinforces my point.

Yep, not sure why he thinks its "idiotic an dutterly un necessary"

rabidbee
Hob Nob Regular

by rabidbee » 07 Aug 2009 14:58

TBM
rabidbee Which just reinforces my point.

Yep, not sure why he thinks its "idiotic an dutterly un necessary"

I was arguing it was a bad thing, for all of the reasons that you cite. I want it to be difficult and unpredictable, and for manager's to have to make hard choices about who they want on the bench. It's supposed to be a challenge.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 07 Aug 2009 15:02

rabidbee Presumably - as with most things - following pressure from the big teams. More substitutes on the bench enables them to respond more effectively to situations that arise in a match, and so reduce still further the risk for them of losing.

How long until the number of substitutions permitted rises to 5, to ensure they can protect more of their key players?

All of this really does tend to reduce the tactical nous of the game, of course.

I agree with that. Wasn't it Alex Ferguson who bemoaned that he couldn't find room for Paul Scholes on the bench?

455 posts