Stephen Hunt to Hull - fee agreed

412 posts
smurfsdabomb

We are people glad hunty is gone?

by smurfsdabomb » 11 Aug 2009 10:07

I know he had attitude issues and wanted to leave but from a purely footballing point of view he was a class act and it's a little childish from some people around here insinuating that he was a worthless player or worse than Kebe or whatever. :roll:

On his day, with Doyle he was probably the best player we had and a cut above the rest of the team. And before you tar him completely as being a lazy good for nothing don't forget the bang up job he did as left back at the start of last season when there was no one else, I think he consistently stepped up to the plate to pull the team through when they needed him.

Plus even last season when he was at half tilt.

http://actimindex.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 0-copy.gif

He was the 4th best player in the league statistically, and that was after he was dropped towards the end of the season. He was top before that. You might not have liked the guy personally but he's a class act and a steal for Hull, you can't deny that. We might have a nice band of loyal and satisfied players now but our promotion chances took a huge blow with his departure.

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: We are people glad hunty is gone?

by West Stand Flash » 11 Aug 2009 10:15

Because he is a bandit who didn't want to play for our club. No player is bigger than the club so he can oxf*rd off for all i care, he has been wel below par for the past 18 months too.

Him leaving frees up cash for Tommy SmIth, everyones :D happy

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Aug 2009 10:19

smurfsdabomb I know he had attitude issues and wanted to leave but from a purely footballing point of view he was a class act and it's a little childish from some people around here insinuating that he was a worthless player or worse than Kebe or whatever. :roll:

On his day, with Doyle he was probably the best player we had and a cut above the rest of the team. And before you tar him completely as being a lazy good for nothing don't forget the bang up job he did as left back at the start of last season when there was no one else, I think he consistently stepped up to the plate to pull the team through when they needed him.

Plus even last season when he was at half tilt.

http://actimindex.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 0-copy.gif

He was the 4th best player in the league statistically, and that was after he was dropped towards the end of the season. He was top before that. You might not have liked the guy personally but he's a class act and a steal for Hull, you can't deny that. We might have a nice band of loyal and satisfied players now but our promotion chances took a huge blow with his departure.

he has his good points, but to call him a "class act" is so wide of the mark its hilarious
he wouldnt know class if it stabbed him.

he is an average player, who made up for his shortcomings with massive work rate, and dedication.
the moment he forgot he wasnt that great technically, and started believing the hype he lost it for me, and was truly terrible.

plus he said he wanted out, and once someone does that, we hate them and think they were shit.

for the the truly good ones the hatred mellows after a season or two, but i dont see that happening for hunty, not after all the crap hes come out with.

Elm Park Old Boy

Re: Stephen Hunt to Hull - fee agreed

by Elm Park Old Boy » 11 Aug 2009 10:21

Mike Hunt Thank you, Stephen Hunt, for one of the best moments I have seen in the Premier League:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GcdCq2OxtGc

Could you all please start a chant for Hammond at the next home game please ?

This is just sick, frankly, You should be ashamed.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 11 Aug 2009 10:22

Vision
Handsome Man Short memories

For the first half of last season he was excellent and set up loads of our goals.
For the second half of last season he was rubbish, but he wasn't on his own in that.
He served us well, and at his best he is just about good enough for the Premiership.
Good luck to him!

This ^^^

Also LOL @ people taking the piss about going to Hull. Given its a World Cup year and Trappatoni has already publicly warned Duff that playing in the Championship could affect his chances then much like Doyle the prospect of playing regularly in the Premiership albeit for a team amongst the favourites for relegation seems a valid option.

He personified what RFC was all about in our 1st season in the premier league - high tempo and attacking with ability as well.

He's let himself down with comments about moving on especially after we stood by him over the Cech business. And he had a poor 2nd half in the last two seasons, but was he the only one in the team to do that? What about Doyle? No the sun shines out of his ar*e.

Might be because we've got a load a closet Chelsea fans in?

smurfsdabomb

by smurfsdabomb » 11 Aug 2009 10:24

How can you call someone "well below par in the last 18 months" when in that time frame he picked up a player of the season award, highest ranked reading player in the premiership actims, top midfield goalscorer both seasons and highest ranked midfielder last season. I don't get how people can say these things, sure he wasn't at his very best but he was better than anyone else in that midfield even when he doesn't care.

Dave the rave

by Dave the rave » 11 Aug 2009 10:27

irishroyal81 very popular member of the squad and will be a huge loss.

Incorrect according to Murty.
Was well known for trying to engineer lucrative moves at certain parts of the the season and it didn't/doesn't go down well with the squad.
For this reason I'm happy he's going now.
However, he did well for us in the past so I'm thankful for his contributions.

Just a shame he embodies everything people hate about the money in football.

Agent Balti
Hob Nob Regular

by Agent Balti » 11 Aug 2009 10:27

Trouble with Hunt is that he's not as good as he thinks he is - otherwise he would have performed in the second half of last season, even under the weight of the pressure HE put himself under to manufacture a move away.

All the very public bleating of "running his course here", "it's better for me and the club"...all bullcrap. Once he got it into his head that he was a 'Premiership Player' he wanted nothing more to do with Reading FC and did everything he could to engineer a move away.

That is not the type of player I like, nor many of us, I would imagine. I will love to see what his attitude the season after next if Hull are in the Championship again. (I hope they don't btw, just saying...) He may have the skills BUT the overriding attitude issues and general 'too big for us' just shows what kind of a mercenary he is.

P.S. Edit the post title, it makes no sense!

'lista
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by 'lista » 11 Aug 2009 10:28

He was absolutely, frustratingly shit-useless for months on end and Coppell continued to play him regardless.

The phenomona we are experiencing now (joy at his departure) is to my mind a release of all that pent up frustration caused by his continual poor performances last season.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Aug 2009 10:30

but he was better than anyone else in that midfield even when he doesn't care.

only before xmas, aftewards he was truly awful, dont think he beat a man, or put in a decent free kick or corner in all that time, which isnt gerat for a winger

if he had,and kept his mouth shut like harps, wed love him, and want him to stay/wish him well.

Great Knolly

by Great Knolly » 11 Aug 2009 10:40

Whatever you think of him, I don't think he would have any place in the sort of team Brendan Rodgers is trying to put together.

Rodgers can probably accommodate 1 player who is going to play off the cuff, and create things from nothing, and at the moment, that's probably Kebe.

tee peg
Hob Nob Regular

by tee peg » 11 Aug 2009 10:50

^ Spot on.You have to look to him and one or two others for the drop in form at the end of last year.

LoyalRoyalFan
Hob Nob Regular

by LoyalRoyalFan » 11 Aug 2009 10:50

He was a player, who played well in the Premier League. After we got relegated, he got too big for his boots and his performances dropped.

The Rouge
Hob Nob Regular

Will you clap Hunt when/if he returns with another team?

by The Rouge » 11 Aug 2009 10:54

I can definitely understand those that are happy with Hunt leaving and I also am in that camp.

- We are getting good money
- There is no guarantee he will ever get back close to the brilliant form he showed in the Prem
- We arguably have better players to pick ahead of him
- He has openly said he would like to move on

but one of the things over the years I have disliked is how RFC fans seemed to have gone from fans-that-remember-past-players-who-have-contributed-to-the-club to ungrateful-plastic-fans-that-boo-players-as-soon-as-they-move-on. (e.g.I hated hearing some jeers and boos for Sidwell when he returned) When Hunt returns I will stand up and applaud... - what will you do?

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Will you clap Hunt when/if he returns with another team?

by Thaumagurist* » 11 Aug 2009 10:56

No.

By the way, do we need YET another thread about Hunt?

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Will you clap Hunt when/if he returns with another team?

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Aug 2009 10:58

He will expect abuse and lots of.

My reaction? I will ignore him. Make no sound. Make no acknowledgement.

That will hurt him far more than either abuse of applause.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Aug 2009 11:02

Did / have the likes of Lita, Doyle, Kitson, Harper, Sidwell and so on ever gone running to the media spouting forth how much they want to get away from Reading? This is why shunt is vilified, ridiculed and generally detested. Also should any of the above named return to play for or against us will probably result in a positive reaction. Look at the reception Nathan Tyson got when he came on as sub for florist. I am surprised that such a thread needs to be started in the first instance.

willz_royal

by willz_royal » 11 Aug 2009 11:09

He's too frustrating/hit/miss to be trusted with a place in our first 11. Corners and free kicks are valuable, but his dead ball skills left A LOT to be desired and we ended up wasting 90% of them.

and

Cos at didcot you could hear him blame the "short pitch" when his cross went out on the opposite side for a throw the other way. moron.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 11 Aug 2009 11:13

does this really need another thread?

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 11:13

Because it was clear he didn't want to be here, and having a salable asset rusting away in the reserves is bad news for the club. It appears that we've got a good price for a player who wasn't likely to give us very much this season, and additionally his departure creates room for a) a nice new signing and/or b) a youngster to come in and fill Hunt's boots.

He was disasterous towards the end of the season. We're starting an exciting new era at RFC, and we can do without the ghosts of the old - or at least those who have no longer got anything to offer.

412 posts