Stephen Hunt to Hull - fee agreed

412 posts
Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

Re: Stephen Hunt to Hull - fee agreed

by Mr Angry » 11 Aug 2009 14:54

So departs another one of the 106 squad, and a key member in the best RFC team ever; a move that suits all parties at this time and which was both inevitable and welcome.

Thanks for the happy memories Hunty, and good luck for the rest of your career.

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Aug 2009 14:57

mr angrys on prozac!

(good post)

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 11 Aug 2009 15:02

Kebe is superb until he needs to provide an end product and in this he is so spectacularly woeful its just not funny. Given the opportunity he's had (although I must admit its only been the last few months the management have actually cottoned onto the fact he's better on the left than the right) the amount of disappointment he's produced is incredible. Perhaps if he kept it simple and merely did the old Michael Gilkes routine of hitting the ball past the full back and then doing him for pace before crossing, he'd become less consistent and therefore rather more successful.

Rosenior had a bad second half to last season and needs to prove himself as a rightback again this season. He looked much more like his old self on Saturday so he just needs to maintain that level and he should drop off the booboy radar.

Terminal Boardom
Hob Nob Addict

by Terminal Boardom » 11 Aug 2009 15:04

Rawlie19 Oh, and can anyone tell me Hunt has gone or not yet? And Mike Hunt, that's just not even funny. Never was.

Quite. Just how long does it take to undergo a medical? Or, perish the thought, is the long haired one being given the full civic tour?

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 11 Aug 2009 15:16

Terminal Boardom
Rawlie19 Oh, and can anyone tell me Hunt has gone or not yet? And Mike Hunt, that's just not even funny. Never was.

Quite. Just how long does it take to undergo a medical? Or, perish the thought, is the long haired one being given the full civic tour?

The details of our contracts these days seem to be more and more comp-licated - with sell-on clauses and lots of conditional bonusses etc (e.g. on Hull surviving we'll get extra). No wonder that the paperwork takes a long time.

BTW, the one person who's not been mentioned yet is the one who really is the villain of the whole thing - Shunt's agent.

Shunt isn't the brightest torch in the box, so to have his agent constantly unsettling him by telling him he's so much better than he is and that he really ought to be playing for a PL team can't have helped his game - especially when he regularly went to the press with imaginary approaches from other teams.

So the blame for his loss of focus and poor form should be directed at his agent, rather than completly to him.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 11 Aug 2009 15:16

Has he still not pissed off?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 15:33

The sooner he's gone the sooner we get Smith (I hope).

RobRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by RobRoyal » 11 Aug 2009 15:36

Mr Angry So departs another one of the 106 squad, and a key member in the best RFC team ever; a move that suits all parties at this time and which was both inevitable and welcome.

That's what I meant to say.

OLLIE KEARNS

Re: We are people glad hunty is gone?

by OLLIE KEARNS » 11 Aug 2009 15:43

Woodcote Royal
OLLIE KEARNS
His move to Hull is good for everyone. Less games plus Prem adrenalin will relight his fire next season and he'll be back at old performance levels. We get to reinvest the money in a player that is a better fit for our current squad.

All in all he was a very good player for Reading. The time is right for change and I wish him alll the best at Hull.

There is so much there that I agree with and some I would like to but feel the jury is still out.

I was a big fan of Hunty and still laugh at those who insist he has no talent but at the same time have never accused any of Sidwell, Shorey, Murty and Ingimarsson of having a poor game in the hoops. Their favorites never put a foot wrong and those they hate never do anything right.

For me, though, I'm waiting to see how Hunt performs for Hull.

Either, the player who was one of our best as we came within a point of a place in Europe has lost much of the talent that allowed him to reach those heights or, he's taken his foot off the pedal for much of the last 2 seasons whilst demanding top wages and never missing an opportunity to express his desire to leave the club and supporters who could not have done more to support him when he was being accused of deliberately causing serious injury to another player.

Whilst accepting that this division is a long slog and Hunt's high energy performances might eventually take their toll, I'm currently having a hard time believing that Stephen Hunt hasn't been seriously short changing this club in recent times.

Unless he bombs at Hull, I believe there will be a justifiable difference between the receptions (and I'm not advocating booing) given to Stephen Hunt and Kevin Doyle when they return to this club and the former will only have himself to blame...................if he actually gives a flying one.

I agree WR. Be very interesting to see how he gets on at Hull and, to be fair, not many recent leavers have prospered elsewhere. Also, be interesting to see how long his contract is for. Once his legs start to go he'll drop down the leagues very quickly IMO so a long term contract might not be wise on Hull's part. Only time will tell I guess !

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 11 Aug 2009 15:51

He can be quite amazing at times, and I hope he gets back to his best at Hull. But something was wrong with him last season from Christmas on, and maybe he was just disillusioned because his moves never came off. I think it's the right time for him to go because the crowd have got frustrated with him and he seems to have run out of ideas in the hoops.

I have some great memories of Hunt, though. For example Man U away on the first game of our second prem season: he harried their right defence into a state of total jitters. I would never boo him.
Last edited by facaldaqui on 11 Aug 2009 15:56, edited 1 time in total.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 11 Aug 2009 15:56

Mr Angry So departs another one of the 106 squad, and a key member in the best RFC team ever; a move that suits all parties at this time and which was both inevitable and welcome.

I wouldnt say he was a Key member in the 106 squad as Convey was keeping him on the bench however he was a good player for us but it seems that we actually lost that Stephen Hunt when his agent was telling him that Reading refuced to let him speak to Everton

Anyways thanks for the memories Hunty and also the effort that you put in. Shame that you seemed to give up December last season

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 11 Aug 2009 15:58

Reading refuced to let him speak to Everton

due to the 5 million release clause tha i assume the agent himsefl negotiated! :roll:

facaldaqui
Hob Nob Regular

by facaldaqui » 11 Aug 2009 15:59

I agree that he was not really a factor in the championship winning side. He came into his own in the first prem season. He surprised me in taking that opportunity, as I at first thought he was a mere stand in for Convey.

bigmike
Hob Nob Regular

by bigmike » 11 Aug 2009 16:01

brendywendy

due to the 5 million release clause tha i assume the agent himsefl negotiated! :roll:

there wasnt even an offer on the table according to the Club..

I would believe them before Sly Sports or an agent

Murtys Right Foot

by Murtys Right Foot » 11 Aug 2009 16:14

bigmike
brendywendy

there wasnt even an offer on the table according to the Club..

I would believe them before Sly Sports or an agent

As a personal friend of Stephens, I can assure you that there is a lot that goes on behind the scenes that the general public don't hear about.

He's a genuinely nice guy who gives his all.

I wish him well.

Royal With Cheese
Hob Nob Addict

by Royal With Cheese » 11 Aug 2009 16:46

Royalee Has he still not pissed off?

Noel Tweeted earlier on that he's gone. I'm presuming that means he's accepted Hull's offer but hasn't signed yet.

So long Hunty - you talked a lot of crap but you weren't a bad player.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 11 Aug 2009 16:49

RIP

joe999

by joe999 » 11 Aug 2009 16:57

good riddance you over-rated, overpaid twat. Should have gone ages ago.

Rawlie19
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Rawlie19 » 11 Aug 2009 17:02

joe999 good riddance you over-rated, overpaid twat. Should have gone ages ago.

Harsh. Some people really are prize prats. You're glad he's gone, that's fine, but are the insults necessary? He was nothing to us in the 106 squad, but in the Prem when Convey got injured he made the position his own and was better than Bobby, easily. He lost it, I agree, but like Dirk said, you can't lay it all at his feet.

Adios Hunty. Thanks for 2006/07

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 11 Aug 2009 17:22

Rawlie19
joe999 good riddance you over-rated, overpaid twat. Should have gone ages ago.

Harsh. Some people really are prize prats. You're glad he's gone, that's fine, but are the insults necessary? He was nothing to us in the 106 squad, but in the Prem when Convey got injured he made the position his own and was better than Bobby, easily. He lost it, I agree, but like Dirk said, you can't lay it all at his feet.

Adios Hunty. Thanks for 2006/07

I think if Hunt goes to Hull, he could be a good player for them.

In many ways, I think what annoys fans the most isn't his desire to leave, and it's not that he's a bad player. It's that he is capable of playing so much better than he did in the latter half of the last two seasons. If his form hadn't dipped in 2006/7, we'd have stayed up. Had he played well in the second half of last season, we'd have probably gone up. He's a player capable of making a real difference to us, but he didn't want to.

412 posts