Ipswich Town Goalkeeper quits the game

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

Ipswich Town Goalkeeper quits the game

by rg6royal » 21 Aug 2009 10:14

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/footbal ... 211586.stm

Sad times for football tbh. Shows some people are seeing what football is becoming.

Magnus

Re: Ipswich Town Goalkeeper quits the game

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 10:23

Which is what RG6? Doesn't really say why he's "fallen out of love" with the game.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 21 Aug 2009 10:31

Magnus Which is what RG6? Doesn't really say why he's "fallen out of love" with the game.

Fallen out of love with the game because he doesn't see the enjoyment in it anymore hth. This could be due to a number of reasons such as the amount of money in the English game and the lack of passion.

Alan Partridge
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber
Location: In a daft little ground, watching a silly game so fcuk off

by Alan Partridge » 21 Aug 2009 10:33

Or more likely this lad is just a bit simple.

He's just given up the best career anyone could ever have on more money than he'll get anywhere else, he's in for a shock IF he gets a dull job on 9-5 at crap pay. He's 22 with sod all behind him apart from playing football. He'll be serving us hot dogs in the away end at Portman Road this year probably.

rg6royal
Hob Nob Regular

by rg6royal » 21 Aug 2009 10:35

Alan Partridge Or more likely this lad is just a bit simple.

He's just given up the best career anyone could ever have on more money than he'll get anywhere else, he's in for a shock IF he gets a dull job on 9-5 at crap pay. He's 22 with sod all behind him apart from playing football. He'll be serving us hot dogs in the away end at Portman Road this year probably.

Simple Supple?

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 10:35

You're right, it could be due to any number of reasons. What I'm saying is that we don't know what those reasons are - and whilst my guesses might be similar to yours I haven't read anything to support that. So as such I'm not sure this story alone really tells us anything about the state of the game.

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 10:37

More wild speculation. I would argue that at just 22 he's got plenty of time to retrain and do something other than flip burgers. And I imagine he has plans with what to do with the rest of his life otherwise he wouldn't have quit.

Why naturally assume the worst? I'm prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt. Good luck to him.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Aug 2009 10:42

Or possibly he is very bright and already knows what career he is going to take next, maybe he is very passionate about another career and has some good qualifications in it.

To a lot of people money isn't everything, why go to work every day to do something you really don't enjoy while at the same time you see the career you really want getting ever further away? maybe he knows that he can earn big in whatever career he wants next.

Maybe loads of things that people on an internet message board really don't know about....

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 10:44

As a ballpark figure what would his salary have been as a goalkeeper at Ipswich Town out of interest?

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 21 Aug 2009 11:13

Alan Partridge He's just given up the best career anyone could ever have on more money than he'll get anywhere else, he's in for a shock IF he gets a dull job on 9-5 at crap pay. He's 22 with sod all behind him apart from playing football. He'll be serving us hot dogs in the away end at Portman Road this year probably.

But he's probably been in the game all throughout his youth and hasn't really "lived" - you never know he might just want a couple of years out of the game, thats not to say he wont re-sign for another club at some point, once he's has "his fun" etc.

Rev Algenon Stickleback H
Hob Nob Regular

by Rev Algenon Stickleback H » 21 Aug 2009 11:44

rg6royal
Magnus Which is what RG6? Doesn't really say why he's "fallen out of love" with the game.

Fallen out of love with the game because he doesn't see the enjoyment in it anymore hth. This could be due to a number of reasons such as the amount of money in the English game and the lack of passion.

I don't really think any player is going to quit because of the amount of money in the game. I don't think any is going to cite a lessened atmosphere in the stands for his reason to quit either.

A few years back Colin Baillie quit football when playing under John Beck. His reasons were that (particularly under Beck) the way you had to follow strict instructions about how you played the game just stopped it being enjoyable. Some players also have no time for the "motivational techniques" of certain managers and coaches, which often just consist of shouting at them.

Given that Roy Keane might well be that sort of manager, he could possibly have just seen all the enjoyment taken out of the game for him.

Baillie quit to be a policeman. His pay at Cambridge woudn't have been all that amazing, so it probably wasn't a huge step down. I would be surprised if supple was on less than £1000 a week though, and he'll have to accept a big salary drop.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 11:50

Magnus As a ballpark figure what would his salary have been as a goalkeeper at Ipswich Town out of interest?

Young lad, about 4-5k a week wouldn't be far from the mark. The kid is nuts! Fall out of love with the game when you can't play it anymore and earn that sort of money. Idiot.

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 11:53

So thats around £250k a year? Seriously?

I have no idea about club finances but the Reverends figure of £50k seems more believable to me. Which is a salary perfectly attainable outside of football.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by cmonurz » 21 Aug 2009 12:16

Agree with soggy; we should give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows exactly how lucrative a career is giving up - he is one of very few who have the balls to do it, I'm sure. He's no different to accountants, nurses, mechanics, whatever, who decide that their current career isn't for them.

I'm sure a lot of us can sympathise with the feeling that you are doing something you don't really want to do - it just happens in this case that that thing is playing professional football, which is the ambition of many a young lad, and I'm sure many adults would give up their right leg for a chance to do the same, but it doesn't make him 'simple' to decide it isn't for him.

paultheroyal
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by paultheroyal » 21 Aug 2009 12:26

Spot on.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Aug 2009 12:32

Alan Partridge He's just given up the best career anyone could ever have

If you are passionate about playing football you mean?

Likewise, the best career someone could ever have if they want to be a doctor is being a doctor etc.

Maybe he knows what his real passion is and realises that he needs to get trained up young otherwise leaving football at 35-40 after earning good money will mean he misses some of the best years he has at the career he truly wants.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 21 Aug 2009 12:34

paultheroyal

Spot on.

Perhaps a bit of projection there from people stuck in boring jobs who can't understand why someone doing what they wish they were talented enough to do would give it up.

Seems to me that Supple Shane's a better judge of his interests than we are.
Last edited by Baines on 21 Aug 2009 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

Stranded
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Stranded » 21 Aug 2009 12:44

Deathy
Magnus As a ballpark figure what would his salary have been as a goalkeeper at Ipswich Town out of interest?

Young lad, about 4-5k a week wouldn't be far from the mark. The kid is nuts! Fall out of love with the game when you can't play it anymore and earn that sort of money. Idiot.

If he doesn't enjoy it, then he'd be an idiot to stay.

We don't know his background - for example. he could well have been pressured in to playing football as a kid by pushy parents and has got to the stage where he just doesn't want to do it anymore.

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 12:46

Maybe he doesn't need the money.

Maybe there's a hundred reasons we don't know about.

But Baines is right - let's let him be the judge - unless RG6 and PaultheRoyal are party to information we're not I just don't see how they can claim it's the wrong decision, or that he must be stupid.

soggy biscuit
Hob Nob Addict

by soggy biscuit » 21 Aug 2009 12:59

Deathy

Young lad, about 4-5k a week wouldn't be far from the mark.

Maybe I am being a little naive to footballers wages but I would be shocked if a 22 year old reserve goalkeeper in the Championship was on £4-5k a week.