Fans buy out?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

Re: Fans buy out?

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 11:15

Ozymandias
Deathy
Rax Also don't forget that the likes of Jay et al, will consult the bible that is Soccer Manager and if Julian Alsopp has scored 29 goals in 10 games will promptly sign him up!

Heaven help us!

:roll:

You involved me in that twatish post why?

Obvious I would have thought.

Football isn't like Championship Manager.

Wonderful. I play Championship Manager? No!

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 21 Aug 2009 11:16

Thank god someone finally got the accounts. I was going to do it myself but could not be arsed as nobody can read them properly. Good work strap, this is should elnighten a few.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Aug 2009 11:19

Arnie_Pie Thank god someone finally got the accounts. I was going to do it myself but could not be arsed as nobody can read them properly. Good work strap, this is should elnighten a few.

Why? All they want to see is money spent - they don't give a flying oxf*rd where that money comes from or what the long-term effects of it are.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 21 Aug 2009 11:20

Dirk Gently
Arnie_Pie Thank god someone finally got the accounts. I was going to do it myself but could not be arsed as nobody can read them properly. Good work strap, this is should elnighten a few.

Why? All they want to see is money spent - they don't give a flying oxf*rd where that money comes from or what the long-term effects of it are.

Exactly my point sir, we are operating at a loss. Add the recent sales in though and it looks a little rosier.

Huntley & Palmer
Hob Nob Moderator

by Huntley & Palmer » 21 Aug 2009 11:27

So in layman terms, after our two seasons in the Prem we managed to cover the losses from the previous two seasons in the Championship. Am I right in thinking that the big jump in debt over 1 year will be down to the upgrades at Hogwood?

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 11:28

Arnie_Pie
Dirk Gently

Exactly my point sir, we are operating at a loss. Add the recent sales in though and it looks a little rosier.

I thought it was reported we were breaking even or better in recent years? :| I'm not surprised we're running at a loss though. What football club doesn't? Not many.

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 21 Aug 2009 11:52

Looks like we just recovered our losses from the previous 4 seasons when we went back down from the Prem. We will have made a loss last season and if any of the previous seasons are like, it would be millions. Hence the sales of the players to try and balance the books.

They also show how much JM has invested personally and I understand he is looking looking to recuperate these funds, unless he sells the club.

All in all it is not great but in football terms, we are in good shape.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Aug 2009 13:04

I don't think people here fully understand just how dire the financial outlook is for clubs outside the Big 4.

The below are from the latest PKF annual survey of football club finance directors.

Do you expect to make a pre-tax profit in your next accounting period?
                  All%     EPL    EFLC      FL1     FL2     SPL     SFD
Yes               21       0      22       13      20       60      0
No                74      100     78       88      60       20     100
Don’t know         5       0       0         0      20       20       0
Only a fifth (21%) of respondents expect to make a pre-tax profit in their next accounting period.  This is a fall from 35% last year.

Charles Barnett, Audit Partner, Football Industry Group I am surprised to see that across each revenue stream around 1/3 of clubs do not believe the credit crunch will have any impact on their operations. In my view this is wishful thinking. Clubs must appreciate
that the continuing economic uncertainty and rise in unemployment will affect their supporters’ ability to spend over the coming season.

Stuart Barnsdall, Audit Partner, Football Industry Group For the 25% of clubs with a (wages to turnover) ratio above 65% it is very likely that they will be loss making. These clubs must address this matter as no club can sustain such a strategy in the medium term.

Philip Long, Corporate Recovery Partner, Football Industry Group Arguably, it is clubs in the EFLC that have the biggest gamble: do they spend to try to reach the EPL (the holy grail) or spend to avoid relegation? Either way, the price of failure could be catastrophic. Clubs must plan for all eventualities and unsuccessful speculation using bank debt could be a one-way ticket to insolvency.

TheMaraudingDog

by TheMaraudingDog » 21 Aug 2009 14:16

No surprise to see STAR up the arse of the club and not listening to the fans.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 21 Aug 2009 14:18

TheMaraudingDog No surprise to see STAR up the arse of the club and not listening to the fans.

What would you like him to say? It's not feasible for supporters of Reading Football Club to do this.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 21 Aug 2009 15:22

When at any point was anything I've posted on this thread posted as being a STAR opinion or a STAr position?

Magnus

by Magnus » 21 Aug 2009 16:56

Much better to start a new club (ala AFC Wimbledon) than buy an existing one.

Although buying out Reading Town might be a foot in the door.

West Stand Man
Hob Nob Regular

by West Stand Man » 21 Aug 2009 18:02

Magnus Much better to start a new club (ala AFC Wimbledon) than buy an existing one.

Go on then do it, please do it and take all the other doom and gloom mongers along with you. I for one will be happy to be left with the fans rather than the grumpy buggers we seem to have attracted recently.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 21 Aug 2009 18:51

Why did we have no overdraft when finished 8th in PL but the following year had an overdraft of £6 million +?
Why is the £17 million loan by Madejski to the hotel included in the accounts (or are they not exclusively relating to the football club and if not, why not?)
Didn't someone say previously that Madejski's loans were interest free? That was obviously wrong.

I'm asking these questions not to wind people up, but because I don't understand.

Cheers.

PieEater
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by PieEater » 21 Aug 2009 22:01

I recall reading early threads about the clubs finances that said there were two types of debt, short term bank loans (around £4m) and longer term loans from his Madj at a low interest rate. So yes there was interest paid but it was significantly less than if the loan was from a commercial source.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 22 Aug 2009 09:31

Thanks PieEater, but can anyone answer the other two questions for me please?

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 22 Aug 2009 11:45

Magnus Much better to start a new club (ala AFC Wimbledon) than buy an existing one.

I give you...

Hobnob FC.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 22 Aug 2009 11:53

:lol:

Arnie_Pie
Hob Nob Regular

by Arnie_Pie » 23 Aug 2009 11:39

Royal Lady Why did we have no overdraft when finished 8th in PL but the following year had an overdraft of £6 million +?
Why is the £17 million loan by Madejski to the hotel included in the accounts (or are they not exclusively relating to the football club and if not, why not?)
Didn't someone say previously that Madejski's loans were interest free? That was obviously wrong.

I'm asking these questions not to wind people up, but because I don't understand.

Cheers.

Sorry for late reply. Still looking at the overdraft issue.

I believe the hotel loan appears in the football club accounts as it appears the hotel is part of the club. Any profit from the hotel goes into the club accounts as a whole. JM appears to have made a shrewd move with the hotel as it did bring in over £5 million in last year.

Schards#2
Hob Nob Regular

by Schards#2 » 23 Aug 2009 12:17

The transfer dealings are listed seperately at the foot of these accounts. Does that mean that the surplus there is not included in the net profit figures?

i.e. is the profit for the last year £6m plus another £7m in transfer surplus, or £6m taking into account the transfer surplus?
Also, I have a vague memory of the debt to SJM always being quoted at around £22m a few years back. So have the football repaid £14m odd to him?