Brendan Rodgers = Too Positive ???

tomrfcurz
Hob Nob Regular

Brendan Rodgers = Too Positive ???

by tomrfcurz » 21 Aug 2009 22:01

Seems to me that these past league games have been pretty awful displays if i'm completely honest and BR just seems determined everything will be just fine and dandy, all this 'its only a matter of time' i don't mean to jump ship before its sailed but i very much he can just leave things and hope for the best. Hopefully a new signing might change the way the starting XI play but i reckon it needs a lot of work on the gaffers part, maybe focus on bad points from matches as well as what positives we can draw from them. 0-0 at Swansea isn't really a good result for a promotion pushing club, and i feel he should really understand this.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

Re: Brendan Rodgers = Too Positive ???

by Row Z Royal » 21 Aug 2009 22:08

But it is only a matter of time.

Have patience, padawan.

Royalee
Hob Nob Addict

by Royalee » 21 Aug 2009 22:15

tomrfcurz Seems to me that these past league games have been pretty awful displays if i'm completely honest and BR just seems determined everything will be just fine and dandy, all this 'its only a matter of time' i don't mean to jump ship before its sailed but i very much he can just leave things and hope for the best. Hopefully a new signing might change the way the starting XI play but i reckon it needs a lot of work on the gaffers part, maybe focus on bad points from matches as well as what positives we can draw from them. 0-0 at Swansea isn't really a good result for a promotion pushing club, and i feel he should really understand this.

Do you listen to anything he says he is trying to do?

SteveRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by SteveRoyal » 21 Aug 2009 22:20

Row Z Royal But it is only a matter of time.

Have patience, padawan.

+1.

Still Hate Futcher!

by Still Hate Futcher! » 21 Aug 2009 22:27

tomrfcurz Seems to me that these past league games have been pretty awful displays if i'm completely honest and BR just seems determined everything will be just fine and dandy, all this 'its only a matter of time' i don't mean to jump ship before its sailed but i very much he can just leave things and hope for the best. Hopefully a new signing might change the way the starting XI play but i reckon it needs a lot of work on the gaffers part, maybe focus on bad points from matches as well as what positives we can draw from them. 0-0 at Swansea isn't really a good result for a promotion pushing club, and i feel he should really understand this.

Surely BR's positive outlook is just good sports psychology. Should he be publicly slating an inexperienced team trying to get to grips with new tactics? And I think 'awful displays' is a bit harsh - Rodgers fully admits we're not doing enough in the final third but give the side a fcukin chance!

seahawk10
Hob Nob Regular
Location: One kick. A royal kick! There's more in Reading yet!

by seahawk10 » 21 Aug 2009 22:31

HNA? =

Royalwaster
Hob Nob Regular

by Royalwaster » 21 Aug 2009 22:33

Still Hate Futcher!

Surely BR's positive outlook is just good sports psychology. Should he be publicly slating an inexperienced team trying to get to grips with new tactics? And I think 'awful displays' is a bit harsh - Rodgers fully admits we're not doing enough in the final third but give the side a fcukin chance!

At least someone who states some sense - it's like slating SJM for saying we want to get back to the Prem. Would you like it, if he came out and said: 'We're not really bothered about getting back to the Prem!'? Or BR coming out and saying: 'These lads are bunch of losers - they're not good enough for League 1 let alone the Championship'. Yeah, sure that would work. You obviously never been in charge of a team of any kind be it in sport or business.

Roy Alsup

by Roy Alsup » 21 Aug 2009 22:35

Still Hate Futcher!

Agreed, I'm sure he knows where our weaknesses are, but he would be a fool to start slagging 20 year old kids in public after 2 or 3 games for the first team. Besides, he seems to have got 15000 people willing to do that on his behalf.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Aug 2009 22:51

Roy Alsup
Still Hate Futcher!

Agreed, I'm sure he knows where our weaknesses are, but he would be a fool to start slagging 20 year old kids in public after 2 or 3 games for the first team. Besides, he seems to have got 15000 people willing to do that on his behalf.

Since when are 20 year olds, kids? :|

RFC's kids are the U15,16/17's. Not our reserves that have dozens of league games under their belt

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 21 Aug 2009 23:03

Look at Pearce, Davies, Karacan, Church (check out his scoring ratio too), Robson-Kanu

They have made over over 200 hundred league appearances between them. They are not kids FFS.

If they cannot make the step up, then that is down to the manager replace them. Not this 'I once tought them as kids, they must be good now' bullshit. Play Mooney FFS. Just because Coppell signed him, it doesnt mean you cant play him.

Simon Church - LOL - he can go back to League one (preferably 2) to show he can score there first IMO. He should not be anywhere near the first team for RFC.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Aug 2009 23:27

He's the right man for the job. He needs time - but he does need to get the right blend of youth and experience. I think he will, but I think it might be quite frustrating for a few months. We really do need to bring in some experience up front.

MR. CYNICAL

by MR. CYNICAL » 21 Aug 2009 23:31

Actually waster, i would prefer it if Madejski came out and said he wouldn't be bothered if we stayed where we were. Thats why many on here are despondant, because he's always bleating on about the club being committed to returning to the premier league. He's the one who raises our hopes and then lets us down with a lack of investment.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 21 Aug 2009 23:42

leon He's the right man for the job. He needs time - but he does need to get the right blend of youth and experience. I think he will, but I think it might be quite frustrating for a few months. We really do need to bring in some experience up front.

Yeah 'greed. We've obviously lost a lot of experience and haven't replaced it yet.

Personally I find Rodgers' interviews a lot more interesting and accessible than Coppell's and it's nice to hear some positivity. He knows what he's got to do and he knows we haven't put in a commanding 90min performance yet, but it'll come.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 21 Aug 2009 23:53

Maguire
leon He's the right man for the job. He needs time - but he does need to get the right blend of youth and experience. I think he will, but I think it might be quite frustrating for a few months. We really do need to bring in some experience up front.

Yeah 'greed. We've obviously lost a lot of experience and haven't replaced it yet.

Personally I find Rodgers' interviews a lot more interesting and accessible than Coppell's and it's nice to hear some positivity. He knows what he's got to do and he knows we haven't put in a commanding 90min performance yet, but it'll come.

I hope so. Church and Long aren't the answer though.

Roy Alsup

by Roy Alsup » 22 Aug 2009 00:06

The whole year inn Look at Pearce, Davies, Karacan, Church (check out his scoring ratio too), Robson-Kanu

They have made over over 200 hundred league appearances between them. They are not kids FFS.

If they cannot make the step up, then that is down to the manager replace them. Not this 'I once tought them as kids, they must be good now' bullshit. Play Mooney FFS. Just because Coppell signed him, it doesnt mean you cant play him.

Simon Church - LOL - he can go back to League one (preferably 2) to show he can score there first IMO. He should not be anywhere near the first team for RFC.

OK, maybe they are not literally kids, but they are still learning this level of football and they are being given the chance to show whether they can step up this season. I think Pearce and Karacan have already showed they can and time will tell over Church, Davies and others. Mooney deserves his chance like everyone else, but I don't think it is particularly fair on Church to single him out after a handful of games in a team that isn't creating chances.

I was there at Elm Park

by I was there at Elm Park » 22 Aug 2009 00:07

leon
Maguire

We'll see tomorrow if he's realised.

I find it funny that the same people who were complaining about Coppell being boring and uninspiring are now the same ones who are picking everything that Rodgers says and using it against him. Sure some of the things he's said have been cringe worthy, naive and stupid but he's clearly learning and we should give him time. It's not as if McGhee, Pardew or Coppell were instant successes.

leon
Hob Nob Legend

by leon » 22 Aug 2009 00:19

I was there at Elm Park
leon
Maguire Yeah 'greed. We've obviously lost a lot of experience and haven't replaced it yet.

We'll see tomorrow if he's realised.

I find it funny that the same people who were complaining about Coppell being boring and uninspiring are now the same ones who are picking everything that Rodgers says and using it against him. Sure some of the things he's said have been cringe worthy, naive and stupid but he's clearly learning and we should give him time. It's not as if McGhee, Pardew or Coppell were instant successes.

I think the problem with Rodgers is over exposure to that Mourinho bullsh*t. In the back of my mind is the Burns era - that promised so much and delivered nothing. McGhee, Pardew or Coppell didn't have that big fanfare.

I was often very frustrated with Coppell's team selections and performances - but then listening to him afterwards he made a lot of sense.

Maguire
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Maguire » 22 Aug 2009 00:50

leon
Maguire

Not a fan of either but Long can do some sort of a job. Church - not been impressed by much so far.

Smith would definitely add to the squad, and another experienced signing would get us back to the point where we might make the play-offs IMHO

Mike Hunt
Hob Nob Regular

by Mike Hunt » 22 Aug 2009 05:54

Common.

Have you heard his interviews ? He points out what he needs to strengthen, whilst praising the defense for getting a clean sheet. To me that is the way it should be done, point out the good things, and point out the things that need to improve.

Although I loved Coppell, this was not his strong point, and would have no idea what was wrong ? " I dunno what happened" "I have no explanation"

Rogers says: "The area we need to improve is higher up the field. We've kept two clean sheets in three games but not scored a goal yet, we need to be better with the ball, and we will be."

He is clearly pointing out what all of us see is wrong, but is just not putting it the same way us Fans would.

Its still early days, and if after 10 games we haven't scored a goal, then we can worry.
Last edited by Mike Hunt on 22 Aug 2009 05:56, edited 1 time in total.

The whole year inn
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by The whole year inn » 22 Aug 2009 05:56

Roy Alsup
The whole year inn Look at Pearce, Davies, Karacan, Church (check out his scoring ratio too), Robson-Kanu

OK, maybe they are not literally kids, but they are still learning this level of football and they are being given the chance to show whether they can step up this season. I think Pearce and Karacan have already showed they can and time will tell over Church, Davies and others. Mooney deserves his chance like everyone else, but I don't think it is particularly fair on Church to single him out after a handful of games in a team that isn't creating chances.

Church is not being singled out. His loan period suggests he is not up to making the step up.Rodgers obviously thinks different

If you are struggling to score in League One, you will struggle to score in the Championship

It is not rocket science