2326 posts
Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

Re: The Tommy Smith Transfer Failure Thread

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 11:51

Silver Fox
Royal Lady
Stranded Mills came from nowhere for all fans, no mention anywhere until it was all but done, was that a panic buy?
and it was done at the beginning of the transfer window.

It was done the week before the season started shurely?
Whatever. You know what I mean - it wasn't left late.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular
Location: the piss artist not formerly known as scutterbucket

by Ups and Downs » 26 Aug 2009 11:53

Norfolk Royal A lot of people seem to be slagging off Rodgers for saying he wanted to sign Smith.

But surely he was only stating the bleedin' obvious. Anyone could work out that his first transfer target would be his former club's best player. Hardly a revelation.

I think they are slagging him off for stating, with conviction, that Tommy Smith wanted to join us.

Jimmy the Tree

by Jimmy the Tree » 26 Aug 2009 11:59

I think he made a mistake stating it in the press before any deal was done, but that is due to inexperience, and hopefully will learn from it.

If he had kept quite we wouldn't have looked like tits, but I'm not slagging him off, I still hope he will come good.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Aug 2009 12:00

Ups and Downs
Norfolk Royal A lot of people seem to be slagging off Rodgers for saying he wanted to sign Smith.

But surely he was only stating the bleedin' obvious. Anyone could work out that his first transfer target would be his former club's best player. Hardly a revelation.

I think they are slagging him off for stating, with conviction, that Tommy Smith wanted to join us.

He probably did at the time he said it. Don't see the big deal.

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 26 Aug 2009 12:03

Norfolk Royal
Ups and Downs

He probably did at the time he said it. Don't see the big deal.

No bigee, except for the fact that he's now fecked off to Portsmouth.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 26 Aug 2009 12:18

And the implications of tapping up the comment raised at the time.

Vision
Hob Nob Addict

by Vision » 26 Aug 2009 12:19

It's more because it (quite rightly in my view) fecked off Watford and more to the point Russo thus making any negotiations from there on in fractious and public. Despite what others say I'm not convinced that even if we'd offered 1.8m at the beginning that Russo wouldn't still have drawn this one out to the last in the hope of oxf*rd us up.

A lesson learned I hope.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 26 Aug 2009 12:20

Do you think Brendan will get a bit of a bollocking over speaking out before it was a done deal? He certainly WILL learn from this, if nothing else.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 12:22

Can anyone tell me why this is any different to Steven Hunt getting off an aeroplane to Leeds Bradford Airport when on the way to sign for Bradford City, so that he could sign for us instead?

It happens all the time in today's football.

(.)Boobies(.)

by (.)Boobies(.) » 26 Aug 2009 12:23

Once again you miss the point. Had Rodgers not made his interest know, and more importantly not told the world that Smith wanted to come here, negotiations with Watford may well have been a lot easier and certainly kept out of the press, which is how we usually conduct our business. Rodgers leaving Watford has left a bad taste in the mouth at the Vic, and this has been even worse because of the ignorance and cockiness shown by Rodgers in his persuit of Tommy Smith.

comeonthebiscuitmen

by comeonthebiscuitmen » 26 Aug 2009 12:24

There's only 1 man for the job.

Ade Panickbiyi!

a certain Mr N Forster scored at the weekend too.

Royal Spangle

by Royal Spangle » 26 Aug 2009 12:24

79 Royal you need to take your RTG off m8 , we were 1 win off promotion last season and Mr Mad didnt have the balls to see it through this year with a bit of tweeking, instead he gets a manager who sells players with experiance who could genually have got us up this year . He keeps spouting his mouth off about T/Smith instead of waiting till the deal is done - and what a *ock up it has been (even if he does sign for us) We have been made a laughing stock and our once excellent dealings in the transfer market has been tarnished - that is why i'm embarressed to be a Reading Fan at the moment.If you dont like my stance ,TOUGH you wont make me change my mind. Get Real ffs

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Aug 2009 12:26

(.)Boobies(.)

Once again you miss the point. Had Rodgers not made his interest know, and more importantly not told the world that Smith wanted to come here, negotiations with Watford may well have been a lot easier and certainly kept out of the press, which is how we usually conduct our business. Rodgers leaving Watford has left a bad taste in the mouth at the Vic, and this has been even worse because of the ignorance and cockiness shown by Rodgers in his persuit of Tommy Smith.

You're guessing I'm afraid.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 12:27

(.)Boobies(.)

I'm not sure.

Although I agree it was bad form for BR to state his interest so clearly, I think that just meant we would have had to pay more rather than anything else. After, that all other press comments came from Watford, and persoanlly I get the impression that the Watford Chairman is a bit of a dickhead (having said that, he's maximised income for his club so done a good job!)

There was a bad taste in the mouth at the Vic once BR left them, I don't think this made it any worse.

Norfolk Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by Norfolk Royal » 26 Aug 2009 12:30

I agree Dirk.

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 26 Aug 2009 12:31

Still not had an answer on this one :

Dirk Gently Can anyone tell me why this is any different to Steven Hunt getting off an aeroplane to Leeds Bradford Airport when on the way to sign for Bradford City, so that he could sign for us instead?

brendywendy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by brendywendy » 26 Aug 2009 12:31

The Echo What a complete shambles. We only have ourselves to blame.

nowt to do with me!!

Ups and Downs
Hob Nob Regular

by Ups and Downs » 26 Aug 2009 12:33

Dirk Gently Can anyone tell me why this is any different to Steven Hunt getting off an aeroplane to Leeds Bradford Airport when on the way to sign for Bradford City, so that he could sign for us instead?

No difference at all really, except that it's not a free and, at the time, no one really gave a sh*t if Hunt joined us or not. Shouldn't imagine anyone at Bradford was overly fussed at the time either. Also, there was also no prolonged, publicly embarrassing saga involved in that transfer.

Baines
Hob Nob Regular

by Baines » 26 Aug 2009 12:37

Dirk Gently Still not had an answer on this one :

I don't think that anyone's really complaining about Smith's decision (assuming that he goes to Portsmouth) or Portsmouth's actions. The complaints are at the club for appearing to be a bit of a shambles and failing to get their man. Just as the Bradford fans would have been entitled to complain at their club for failing to tie up the Shunt signing.

2.8 lita injection

by 2.8 lita injection » 26 Aug 2009 12:37

I think the problem the fans have is that we could had matched the sheff utd bid 3 weeks ago and probably had signed mr smith, instead of fannying about trying to penny pinch.

2326 posts