The calibre of player coming in

dynamo380

Re: The calibre of player coming in

by dynamo380 » 28 Aug 2009 09:05

Wimb I really don't know what the point is of posts like the above. All that matters is BR has signed 2 players he thinks can do well in a system he's used too. Nuff said

It should be note though that the system they did well in under Rodgers is a different system to what ur playing now. At Watford BR tryed to use that 4-3-3 system I believe he's using now and got the same performances & crappy results ur getting now. He then changed it to a 4-4-1-1 formation and thats when McAnuff & Rasiak did alot better.

Aeroguide

by Aeroguide » 28 Aug 2009 09:15

Deathy You have to be happy.

Bertrand - Highly rated Chelsea left back, seen as the future replacement for Ashley Cole.
Mills - Again, very highly rated, but a shakey start. Goes for the team as a whole though. Confidence will come.
McAnuff - Quality winger on his day. Guilty of not having enough of those days, but under Rodgers he flourished last season.
Rasiak - 6'3" and has as good as goalscoring record as Doyle - as pointed out earlier somewhere. Cracking record at this level.

How can you not be pleased with those four signings so far?

Fcuk off Newbie........

Deathy

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 28 Aug 2009 09:32

A couple of colleagues who are Saints fans have emailed me to say that Rasiak is a great signing for us, and that he will get us goals. He was only sent out on loan in order to lessen the wages bill last season (as was Dyer) which was annoying for the Saints fans as they believed he could have got them the goals that might have kept them up last season.

McAnuff and Rasiak are EXACTLY the sort of signings we need at this time - experience at this level to bolster the young players who will be the bedrock of this club in seasons to come.

susieroyal

by susieroyal » 28 Aug 2009 09:34

Mr Angry A couple of colleagues who are Saints fans have emailed me to say that Rasiak is a great signing for us, and that he will get us goals. He was only sent out on loan in order to lessen the wages bill last season (as was Dyer) which was annoying for the Saints fans as they believed he could have got them the goals that might have kept them up last season.

McAnuff and Rasiak are EXACTLY the sort of signings we need at this time - experience at this level to bolster the young players who will be the bedrock of this club in seasons to come.

Agreed.

A couple of Derby fans have said to me that Rasiak is a decent signing. Not daft Derby fans either, ones who have got their head wired up properly.

Ryn

by Ryn » 28 Aug 2009 09:39

Mr Angry McAnuff and Rasiak are EXACTLY the sort of signings we need at this time - experience at this level to bolster the young players who will be the bedrock of this club in seasons to come.

+1

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Aug 2009 09:39

The calibre of player coming in = WE ARE STAYING UP!!!

I hope we make more signings after this, maybe a left mid, out and out striker and right back!!

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 28 Aug 2009 09:40

Aeroguide
Deathy You have to be happy.

Bertrand - Highly rated Chelsea left back, seen as the future replacement for Ashley Cole.
Mills - Again, very highly rated, but a shakey start. Goes for the team as a whole though. Confidence will come.
McAnuff - Quality winger on his day. Guilty of not having enough of those days, but under Rodgers he flourished last season.
Rasiak - 6'3" and has as good as goalscoring record as Doyle - as pointed out earlier somewhere. Cracking record at this level.

How can you not be pleased with those four signings so far?

Fcuk off Newbie........

Deathy

:roll: Since 2002. I'm due my annual name change actually...

Deathy
Royal Lady But you're ALWAYS changing your mind!!

Right, and? If someone is shit today, he isn't necessarilly shit tomorrow!

I've been vocal about my frustrations towards Madejski this past 2-3 seasons, and righly so! But you can't fault him this summer. That said, just 3-4 weeks ago I was!! Again, rightly so. But we can see why we've sold who we've sold, and you can't knock the lads we're bringing in.

It's the people that hold an opinion and aren't prepared to admit they're wrong, or be prepared to see when something changes that are the problem.

That a bit too much for you to take in, RL?

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2009 11:01

Good job Deathy, you've got it spot on this time.

Nice to see you've taken being wrong about our spending on the chin and had second thoughts. I'm very positive about our signings so far. I'd like to see a right back come in as the next priority myself. I reckon you'll probably agree with that as well.

Not keen on Rodgers personally, but thats more about his media handling than anything he's actually done on the football side. If he starts getting results I'll happily forgive, or forget the Smith debacle and his poor expectation handling.

We've signed players with plenty of experience at this level, spending more than ever before in this tier and we've got 7 or 8 younger players coming through, some of whom are bound to make it.

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Aug 2009 11:44

The truth is we are selling PL quality players and buying Championship quality players BUT we are in the Championship folks so that makes sense.

I am pleased with the two signings yesterday and my faith that the powers that be in the club know what they are doing is returning. My frustration at one point was that it really looked like we were going to rely on the Academy youngsters alone and that would have been madness. A few experienced Championship players in now - which allows us to blood the young players over the season will be fine I think.

We will probably only be lower/mid table but in a good position to challenge again next season.

Millsy
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Millsy » 28 Aug 2009 11:53

What exactly is the problem with Rasiak?

Both Smith and him are good goalscorers.

Both have 2-3 years left.

I'd rather save the money and go with Rasiak tbh.

Well done JM, NH, BR!

Dirk Gently
Hob Nob Super-Addict

by Dirk Gently » 28 Aug 2009 12:01

Exactly - we do need some players who can come in for a year or so, do a job and get us out of a short-term fix (Owusu, anyone?)

They're not going to set the world alight or be a major long-term investment, but they're cheap and will do what's needed in the short-term.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Aug 2009 12:01

Rasiak-why will he only cost £300,000 if he is so good is the obvious question?
On the other hand the guy did at some time have ability so at that sort of price he is well worth a punt as we are now desperate for a holding striker.
Likewise McAnuff who looked a player with a great future when at Wimbledon-didn't Pompey try to get him and Reo-Coker for a combined transfer when 'Arry was manager before this last stint?
There has to be a big question mark over him if he has found it difficult to hold down a place at Watford but as with Rasiak he has shown ability in his career at some stage so maybe,just maybe our new manager can at least still get something out of these two.

The one disconcerting thing is that for our "well run club" to be scrambling around at this stage to bring in players when surely plans would have been set in place back in May so that we could start the season with a bang for many reasons not least to encourage season ticket sales after the disastrous second part of last season.
Income arrived fairly early with the sale of Doyle and the world and his wife knew that Hunt would go somewhere so to bet the house on getting Smith first and then see what else might be needed was just crazy.
I won't have it that we had to see what happens elsewhere before we make our moves-with the money for Doyle we should have been making the running in the transfer market like Sheff Utd did once the two boys had gone to Spurs and it really smacks of a very small club mentality,i.e waiting for crumbs.

So hopefully the new signings will make an immediate impact-I'm keeping an open mind-and we can move away from the lower reaches of this division but I do regret that we(the club,I still use "we" because I stick to the rather outdated view that we fans are actually part of our club and not just customers of a solely-owned business)) have to wait till now to realise that a bunch of kids can't do it on their own at this level.
How stupid of people at the club to think that they would-not sure who those stupid people are but the decision-makers really don't know their football if they thought we would get away with such a ludicrous policy.

Thaumagurist*
Hob Nob Regular

by Thaumagurist* » 28 Aug 2009 12:05

BR2 Rasiak-why will he only cost £300,000 if he is so good is the obvious question?

Er, Southampton was desperate for the cash?

BR2 I won't have it that we had to see what happens elsewhere before we make our moves-with the money for Doyle we should have been making the running in the transfer market like Sheff Utd did once the two boys had gone to Spurs and it really smacks of a very small club mentality,i.e waiting for crumbs.

:roll:

We used the money from the Doyle sale to clear a large overdraft.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2009 12:07

I'd add it was obvious SHunt was going in both the last two transfer windows as well. But he didn't.

loyalroyal4life
Hob Nob Addict

by loyalroyal4life » 28 Aug 2009 12:12

2 world wars, 1 world cup What exactly is the problem with Rasiak?

Both Smith and him are good goalscorers.

Both have 2-3 years left.

I'd rather save the money and go with Rasiak tbh.

Well done JM, NH, BR!

smith will be in championship next season anyway, he talks about how great paul hart was talking about his plans... what plans? the guy will get the boot by end of year

andrew1957
Hob Nob Regular

by andrew1957 » 28 Aug 2009 12:31

Rasiak is on much higher wages than Southampton want to pay in Div 1. He was willing to drop his wages a bit to get a move but we are probably still paying him a good amount - hence why Southampton were happy to let him go cheap.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Aug 2009 12:37

The point is that nobody else wanted him even at the knockdown £300,000?
As mentioned earlier I am glad that he is coming not least because it is a forward and our options up front are currently poor-my worry is that Keith Scott cost something similar as did Goater. :wink:
Before anybody throws back at me Doyle and Kitson they were both young.

Deathy
Hob Nob Regular

by Deathy » 28 Aug 2009 12:44

BR2 Rasiak-why will he only cost £300,000 if he is so good is the obvious question?

Big wage earner at Saints. Even Watford couldn't agree personal terms with him. They get rid, lighten their wage bill and pocket £300k for a new player or two. Good business for all.

Ian Royal
Hob Nob Legend

by Ian Royal » 28 Aug 2009 12:45

BR2 The point is that nobody else wanted him even at the knockdown £300,000?
As mentioned earlier I am glad that he is coming not least because it is a forward and our options up front are currently poor-my worry is that Keith Scott cost something similar as did Goater. :wink:

Watford and Swansea wanted him. Watford couldn't afford his wages, we beat Swansea to getting him. So other teams did want him.

BR2
Hob Nob Regular

by BR2 » 28 Aug 2009 12:59

Ian Royal
BR2 The point is that nobody else wanted him even at the knockdown £300,000?

Watford and Swansea wanted him. Watford couldn't afford his wages, we beat Swansea to getting him. So other teams did want him.

We would like Fernando Torres but wages could be a problem so Watford is not a good example.
Swansea have already got Trundle back and are getting Beattie from WBA.