Transfers - summer 09

467 posts
TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

Re: Transfers - summer 09

by TBM » 01 Sep 2009 10:43

Wolves sign Stefan Maierhofer - a striker!

More competition for Doyle!

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Sep 2009 10:49

More from Daily Mail

10.20: New Pompey owner Sulaiman Al Fahim surely wins some kind of award for stating the obvious: 'We don’t need to sell players. Sylvain Distin leaving was disappointing for me. We would like David James to stay at the club.' Thanks for that, mate.

10.13: DEAL! Danny Collins signs for Stoke from Sunderland for £2.75m. The Potters have spent well this summer - adding to the signatures of Tuncay and Rob Huth.

10.06: The Marouane Chamakh merry-go-round continues. Apparently West Ham have a greed a fee but don't have the cash to buy him and were hoping to wait until January when his price would drop further. But we've now heard that Arsenal are today hoping to complete the double signing of Bordeaux striker Chamakh and Borussia Dortmund defender Neven Subotic.

09.58: More from Spurs ... We are hearing that if Kranjcar goes to Spurs, Daniel Levy will not sanction the purchase of Martin Petrov as he doesn't want another attacking midfielder. Also, Redknapp wants David James and James is desperate to go to Spurs but Levy will not allow another high-earning goalkeeper come to the club. Tottenham are, as ever, keeping this deadline day ticking over by themselves.

09.52: Harry Redknapp has reiterated his desire to land Nico Kranjcar today - using his favourite adjective, he described the player as 'fantastic.' Stirring stuff!

09.47: Here's a strange one - Celtic's Darren O'Dea has signed a three-year contract extension at and then traveled down to Reading ahead of a proposed three-month loan spell.

09.45: We are hearing that James Collins is in Brum for his medical with Villa. Two new centre-backs for Martin O'Neill today, then.

09.38: DEAL! Swansea have signed Trinidad & Tobago defender Radanfah Abu Bakr on a three-month contract. What makes the deal remarkable is that Bakr is a student at Queens Royal College.

cmonurz
Hob Nob Super-Addict

Re: The Big Fat Deadline Day Thread

by cmonurz » 01 Sep 2009 10:49

Pompey to sign Nicky Shorey on a season-long loan deal.

Mr Angry
Hob Nob Addict

by Mr Angry » 01 Sep 2009 11:10

Kranjcar to Spurs

FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT
Hob Nob Regular

by FORSTERS_RIGHT_FOOT » 01 Sep 2009 11:11

Reading have signed Celtic defender Darren O'Dea on loan until 1 January.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Sep 2009 11:12

10.45: No tears in the north-east as we hear Middlesbrough's Afonso Alves looks set for a move away from the Riverside. After just 10 goals in 42 league appearances, the Brazilian is moving to Qatari side Al Sadd.

10.42: More from Spurs ... Nico Kranjcar has passed his medical ... Manchester City are only willing to take David Bentley on loan which could scupper the Martin Petrov move ... and we hear that Sunderland defender Anton Ferdinand could be on his way to White Hart Lane. If you've got anything you need flogging today, get down to Spurs Lodge in Chigwell as Harry Redknapp is going beserk with Daniel Levy's credit cards today. Amusingly, the training ground is right next to a rubbish tip - you may find Harry having a root around for a left-sided midfielder as we approach 5pm!

10.26: It's great fun watching the Sky reporters outside various training grounds filling up two minute slots when you can tell they have nothing to say. Long pauses broken up by vague statements beginning with 'I understand...' cannot hide the fact their faces are screaming 'get me out of here.'

TBM
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: Prediction League Champion 2009/2010, 2010/2011 & 2013/2014

by TBM » 01 Sep 2009 11:21

Liverpool's Andriy Voronin is moving to Arsenal :shock:

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 01 Sep 2009 11:31

Wolves sign Stefan Maierhofer - a striker!

Was at Rapid Vienna - even played against Villa the other week - he's 6ft 7 inches tall.

Tony Le Mesmer
Hob Nob Regular

by Tony Le Mesmer » 01 Sep 2009 12:02

I bet Channel 405 is a Sky Sports W@nkathon today.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Sep 2009 12:03

11.45: Ajax have signed midfielder Kerlon from Inter Milan on a season-long loan deal. Manager Martin Jol treated us to an expansive diatribe by saying : 'I am very pleased he has come.'

11.40: Sheffield United defender Matthew Kilgallon, may be going to Newcastle says Man From Sky. The yellow ticker has gone missing, too. On deadline day? How remarkable.

11.36: Sporting Gijon's Michel is not going to Birmingham because of a money issue. We're not sure what the issue is - maybe Birmingham tried to pay with a mix of some old Drachma and Francs they found in a sock at the back of a wardrobe.

11.30: Pouring more fuel on the Anton Ferdinand to Spurs fire, we hear that Lucas Neill could be moving to Sunderland to add cover in defence.

11.23: It has all quietened down a bit in the last half hour. The football industry must be taking on much needed carbs in the lead up to the frantic sprint to the 5pm finish.

11.15: News just in - Harry Redknapp is down the Roman Road market in Bow and has bought himself a new leather jacket. He has described the new purchase as 'fantastic.'

11.08: Right, the James Collins deal should be done within the hour as he completes his medical at Villa's Bodymoor Heath training ground. And that means West Ham will have another £5m to play with. The will-he-wont-he Marouane Chamakh deal could be back on, Hammers fans. I'm sick of him already!

10.55: ENPPI have announced that they have turned down an offer from Sunderland for winger Ahmed Al-Muhammadi. Steve Bruce has been following the Egypt international and wanted to arrange a loan deal but a club spokesman has said 'to take the player on loan for the rest of the season is completely unacceptable, considering the name and quality of the player.' Quite.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Sep 2009 13:04

12.50: Things are starting to really hot up now - Sky are telling us that Middlesbrough have made a £3m bid for Derby striker Rob Hulse.

12.45: Johnny Heitinga has arrived at Everton's Finch Farm training ground for a medical. Despite Championsl League football at Athletico and his wife being settled in Madrid, Heitinga looks like he could be a Toffee before 5pm.

12.38: DEAL! Portsmouth have announced the completion of Tal Ben-Haim's move from Manchester City to the south coast club.

12.30: Sky are playing their package about how players go through the signing process - again. I've seen it 3,567 times today already. If I see it again I'm going weep openly in the office.

12.24: More from our reporters out in the field ... Laura Williamson informs me that Daniel Cousin's agent has confirmed the player will not be moving to Burnley.

12.15: Wigan's Ben Watson is going on a six-month loan to QPR. Oh, the joy.

12.10: More on Marouane Chamakh ... our man Matt Barlow tells us that Gianfranco Zola has given up on luring Chamakh to Upton Park today but could pursue their interest in the Bordeaux striker in January. The Hammers also expect defender James Collins to complete his move to Aston Villa today and are still hopeful of bringing more firepower in before the 5pm deadline.

Row Z Royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: LOLandmarks come and go. There'll only ever be one "Clickety Clique"

by Row Z Royal » 01 Sep 2009 13:12

To be fair, there are some good LOLz in that Daily Mail stuff.

winchester_royal
Hob Nob Super-Addict
Location: How many Spaniards does it take to change a bulb? Just Juan.

by winchester_royal » 01 Sep 2009 13:51

Worst deadline day ever.

You know things are slow when SSN spend the whole time with Danesh discussing how David James hasn't left Portsmouth yet.

Tails
Hob Nob Regular

by Tails » 01 Sep 2009 14:49

Interesting to see the comparisons between previous years in spending and to look at the stats club by club. Current total is £415M (ish) compared to previous year of £500M....

Clearly the big spenders are City, spending in the region of £117M with Bolton at the foot of the spending table (currently).

Net balance would be further food for thought; United have a net saving of around 70m(?) and the £38M spent by Liverpool is off-set with the departure of Alonso for £30M. So the two big boys are taking it easy this transfer window - an indication that the huge gap between them and the others will at least cease to grow, if not reduce a tiny iota?

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 01 Sep 2009 15:05

14.32: DEAL! Roy Keane's double-deal to bring Carlos Edwards and Grant Leadbitter to Ipswich Town have both been completed.

14.24: Marko Pantelic has angered Blackburn and Portsmouth by joining Ajax on a one-year deal. The 30-year old Hertha Berlin striker was seen as the experienced target man they needed but has decided to spend the rest of this season at Ajax, instead.

14.15: At last - normality breaks out as we see pictures of kids dancing around behind a reporter at Everton's training ground. This is the stuff we wanted.

14.10: Given this is Sky Sports' biggest day of the year, it is somewhat strange to see them mocking this transfer-fest. 'Luca Toni spotted in Watford and Zidane clocked in Portsmouth.' It's all rather sad, really.

14.00: David Bentley's move to Manchester City is believed to be in danger of collapse. The poor fella's not having a great year!

13.50: More from our man Simon Cass who is very much on the ball today ... He tells me that Marouane Chamakh’s agent, Pierre Frelot, is staying on in London until the close of the window with his fingers firmly crossed there will be a deadline beating offer from Arsenal.

13.40: West Ham have accepted Aston Villa's offer for James Collins - believed to be in the region of £5m and the deal should be announced within the next couple of minutes.

13.34: More hilarity from Sky Man at Pompey. He started well by bringing us news of a bid of £3m accepted by Watford for their centre-back Mike Williamson but then let himself down by being unable to answer the question of what qualities he'll bring to the club. 'Well, he'll probably partner new signing Ben-Haim.' Thanks for the insight, Sky Man.

13.30: Swansea have rejected a new offer from Wigan for Dutch midfielder Ferrie Bodde ...
Read more: New Wigan bid for Ferrie Bodde rejected by Swansea as Roberto Martinez eyes midfielder reunion
13.29: Newcastle seem set to resurrect Peter Lovenkrands career ...

Read more: Newcastle look to re-sign free agent Peter Lovenkrands at St James' Park
13.28: Not a perfect day for David Moyes as his big move for Real's Van Der Vaart stalls.
Read more: Everton manager David Moyes misses out on Rafael van der Vaart after Real Madrid star looked set for Goodison Park
13.25: A couple of bits coming out of Bolton this afternoon. They are closing in on the signature of Nantes striker Ivan Klasnic and they are believed to be close to capturing Fulham striker Diomansy Kamara on a year long loan.

13.18: Our man Simon Cass has just told us that David Bentley’s representatives are still trying to thrash out a deal with Manchester City to end the midfielder’s nightmare spell at White Hart Lane. It looks like going all the way to the wire. We are also hearing that Bentley doesn't want to go on loan - he would much prefer a permanent move.

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 01 Sep 2009 16:10

Zheng Zhi to Celtic :shock:

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 01 Sep 2009 16:13

Shorey deal off.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 01 Sep 2009 16:15

Benjani to Notts County?? :o :shock:

Stooper
Hob Nob Regular

by Stooper » 01 Sep 2009 16:16

Royal Lady Benjani to Notts County?? :o :shock:

Is it 9am already?

AF1
Hob Nob Regular
Location: Ya got guns, got guns too, what up son, do you wanna battle for cash and see who Sun Tzu?

by AF1 » 01 Sep 2009 16:20

Dom on his BlackBerry, via text on 81111: "David Bentley has gone to Liverpool on a one-year loan, heard from an inside source..."

467 posts