New signings

1201 posts
(.)Boobies(.)

Re: New signings

by (.)Boobies(.) » 02 Sep 2009 08:54

Row Z Royal
Barry the bird boggler To confirm, the summary of what can only be described as a disappointing day is

OUT

Andersen to Bristol Rovers on loan
Harper to Sheff Utd on loan
Rosenior to Ipswich on loan

IN

O'Dea from Celtic (loan to 1st Jan) Centre Back
Howard from Sheff Utd for 500k Midfield

Work currently going on to get in a right back (if we missed the window yesterday this will be completed next week when the loan window opens)

Should imagine that this sees the end of Rosenior and Harper at Reading unless, by some miracle, we get promoted this season

Cannot see any other reason to get shot of Rosenior other than yet more penny pinching

Have the Harper/Rosenior deals been confirmed? I can't see anything on the OS, and Sky Sports doesn't seem to understand.

I can understand Harper going as Rodgers clearly doesn't like him/hasn't planned on him staying, but Rosenior? That leaves...erm...yep...Julian Kelly.

I'm sure he's a lovely chap, but he's not a CCC first teamer.

It has nothing to do with liking Harper, everyone at the clubs holds him in the highest regard. It's about wages. The budget still needs to be reduced, and we're almost there now.

Lamberts Tipple

by Lamberts Tipple » 02 Sep 2009 08:55

Whilst accepting that stranger things have happened, I can't find anything out there to corroborate any of this. That is not to say that it was being actively considered, but clearly did not come off on time.

There are two separate deals as I understand it, swapping Howard and Harper and send Rosenior on loan to Ipswich. It may just be possible that the latter gets held up because Roseniors grandfather has died, but you would expect the paper work to have been lodged. But there is nothing to stop the former going ahead. If the paper work has not presented to the FA then nothing is going to happen.

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 02 Sep 2009 08:56

Row Z Royal
Barry the bird boggler To confirm, the summary of what can only be described as a disappointing day is

OUT

Andersen to Bristol Rovers on loan
Harper to Sheff Utd on loan
Rosenior to Ipswich on loan

IN

O'Dea from Celtic (loan to 1st Jan) Centre Back
Howard from Sheff Utd for 500k Midfield

Work currently going on to get in a right back (if we missed the window yesterday this will be completed next week when the loan window opens)

Should imagine that this sees the end of Rosenior and Harper at Reading unless, by some miracle, we get promoted this season

Cannot see any other reason to get shot of Rosenior other than yet more penny pinching

Have the Harper/Rosenior deals been confirmed? I can't see anything on the OS, and Sky Sports doesn't seem to understand.

I can understand Harper going as Rodgers clearly doesn't like him/hasn't planned on him staying, but Rosenior? That leaves...erm...yep...Julian Kelly.

I'm sure he's a lovely chap, but he's not a CCC first teamer.

Agreed. First thing me and the boy said when we saw the new BR style was that Rosie wasn't up to it, but that he needed to be replaced by someone other than Kelly, who is OK as a backup but is not ready to make the step up. BR must know that - he's already been stung by over-estimating his own ability to get the young reserves up to scratch (hence the late summer panic to bolster the squad with experience) so I'm sure he'll be looking to get someone in.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Sep 2009 08:59

The EP reports this pretty much as fact today

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2056510_harper_and_rosenior_out_as_reading_fc_sign_three

Harper and Rosenior have gone

Howard is in for 500k

The club are working to bring in a new right back.

My guess is theye are waiting for all the paperwork to be confirmed by the FL, as the deals for Harper, Rosenior and any new right back are loans the clubs involved will feel there's no particular rush as these can be rubber stamped next week when the loan window opens.

The Real Sandhurst Royal
Hob Nob Regular

by The Real Sandhurst Royal » 02 Sep 2009 09:00

Ideal wrote:
We never replaced Sidwell, and Harper has had to endure an endless stream of mediocrities for a midfield partner.
Fact of the matter is Harper is an attacking midfielder, and he has been played out of position as a defensive midfielder for ages. Seemingly people are unable to differentiate between the two roles.

Great post IDEAL someone who has the same opiinon of Harper as myself.

Attacking midfield strikes against Liverpool at home to win 3-1 and the Newcastle away defeat 3-2 showed him at his best.

M Brook
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by M Brook » 02 Sep 2009 09:03

Lamberts Tipple Whilst accepting that stranger things have happened, I can't find anything out there to corroborate any of this. That is not to say that it was being actively considered, but clearly did not come off on time.

There are two separate deals as I understand it, swapping Howard and Harper and send Rosenior on loan to Ipswich. It may just be possible that the latter gets held up because Roseniors grandfather has died, but you would expect the paper work to have been lodged. But there is nothing to stop the former going ahead. If the paper work has not presented to the FA then nothing is going to happen.

Listen to this interview with Harps - go to 37minutes and 20 secs in -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0 ... 1_09_2009/

Then come back and tell me he hasn't gone to the Knackers Yard that is Bramall Lane.

Barry the bird boggler
Hob Nob Addict

by Barry the bird boggler » 02 Sep 2009 09:03

The Real Sandhurst Royal Ideal wrote:
We never replaced Sidwell, and Harper has had to endure an endless stream of mediocrities for a midfield partner.
Fact of the matter is Harper is an attacking midfielder, and he has been played out of position as a defensive midfielder for ages. Seemingly people are unable to differentiate between the two roles.

Great post IDEAL someone who has the same opiinon of Harper as myself.

Attacking midfield strikes against Liverpool at home to win 3-1 and the Newcastle away defeat 3-2 showed him at his best.

Lamberts Tipple

by Lamberts Tipple » 02 Sep 2009 09:04

Barry the bird boggler The EP reports this pretty much as fact today

http://www.getreading.co.uk/sport/football/readingfc/s/2056510_harper_and_rosenior_out_as_reading_fc_sign_three

Harper and Rosenior have gone

Howard is in for 500k

The club are working to bring in a new right back.

My guess is theye are waiting for all the paperwork to be confirmed by the FL, as the deals for Harper, Rosenior and any new right back are loans the clubs involved will feel there's no particular rush as these can be rubber stamped next week when the loan window opens.

Thanks Barry. Somehow I missed that when I was looking at the EP site.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Sep 2009 09:06

I asked this pages back, but I'll ask again - IF Howard is so good and Harper is so shite, why are Sheffield United, a team tipped to be amongst those in promotion race this season (Again) taking Harper and letting Howard go? BR made it perfectly clear that Harper (for whatever reasons) didn't figure in his future plans. Yet, at the same time, he talks of needing experienced players - then ships one of our experienced players out. I'm still flummoxed over Rosenior. Even if he doesn't go now, it wasn't for the want of trying on BR's part and only a family bereavement in the Rosenior family which has held it up/ended it.

And, apparently, at the Fan's Forum, when asked where BR sees himself and the team in THREE seasons time, BR stated quite clearly - "in the Premiership" - I'll have some of what he's on please.

Kurtz

by Kurtz » 02 Sep 2009 09:10

Harper deserves to be sent out on loan for his shorts stunt in the team photo.

Harpers So Solid Crew
Hob Nob Addict

by Harpers So Solid Crew » 02 Sep 2009 09:11

And it was answered before RL, different managers have different views, BR obviously does not think he can change Harper, whereas Blackwell does, BR must think that he can change Howard.

So happily we can all sit here and pontificate, airing our views positive and negative as we see fit.

papereyes
Hob Nob Addict
Location: “The mother of idiots is always pregnant”- Italian proverb

by papereyes » 02 Sep 2009 09:12

My take on Harper was that he was an able deputy but floundered somewhat when asked to lead the midfield.

Put him next to someone who complements him, in a team that works with understanding, and he'll look great.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 02 Sep 2009 09:12

Royal Lady I asked this pages back, but I'll ask again - IF Howard is so good and Harper is so shite, why are Sheffield United, a team tipped to be amongst those in promotion race this season (Again) taking Harper and letting Howard go? BR made it perfectly clear that Harper (for whatever reasons) didn't figure in his future plans. Yet, at the same time, he talks of needing experienced players - then ships one of our experienced players out. I'm still flummoxed over Rosenior. Even if he doesn't go now, it wasn't for the want of trying on BR's part and only a family bereavement in the Rosenior family which has held it up/ended it.

And, apparently, at the Fan's Forum, when asked where BR sees himself and the team in THREE seasons time, BR stated quite clearly - "in the Premiership" - I'll have some of what he's on please.

I seriously think Rodgers wants to build his own team, as had been suggested on here before. IMO that's stupid, leaves us very short at RB now.

Deadlock
Hob Nob Regular
Location: There's nothing of value there and the people make very poor slaves.

by Deadlock » 02 Sep 2009 09:13

Barry the bird boggler My guess is theye are waiting for all the paperwork to be confirmed by the FL, as the deals for Harper, Rosenior and any new right back are loans the clubs involved will feel there's no particular rush as these can be rubber stamped next week when the loan window opens.

One teeny weeny problem with this. As Platypuss pointed out many pages ago, season long loans had to have been completed by 5pm yesterday. When the emergency loan window opens next week players will be allowed to go on loan for a maximum of 90 days.

Royal Lady
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by Royal Lady » 02 Sep 2009 09:16

chilipepper91
Royal Lady I asked this pages back, but I'll ask again - IF Howard is so good and Harper is so shite, why are Sheffield United, a team tipped to be amongst those in promotion race this season (Again) taking Harper and letting Howard go? BR made it perfectly clear that Harper (for whatever reasons) didn't figure in his future plans. Yet, at the same time, he talks of needing experienced players - then ships one of our experienced players out. I'm still flummoxed over Rosenior. Even if he doesn't go now, it wasn't for the want of trying on BR's part and only a family bereavement in the Rosenior family which has held it up/ended it.

I seriously think Rodgers wants to build his own team, as had been suggested on here before. IMO that's stupid, leaves us very short at RB now.

But I've said this before and been vilified and practically hung as a witch for daring to say so. :roll:

Sarah Star
Hob Nob Regular

by Sarah Star » 02 Sep 2009 09:24

If the Rosenior deal has been held up because of a death in the family, do we get special dispensation to conclude it after the deadline?

Just wondered.

chilipepper91
Hob Nob Regular

by chilipepper91 » 02 Sep 2009 09:28

Royal Lady
chilipepper91

But I've said this before and been vilified and practically hung as a witch for daring to say so. :roll:

Not by me!

I can understand Rodgers wanting to bring his influence into proceedings, getting a few new players and getting rid of a few, but getting rid of two of our longest-serving players, even on loan (as has been mooted)? The fact that they aren't even permanent stinks (for me) of desperation from Rodgers to get them out of the club. I can understand Harps after his comments, but Rosenior? He's played every league game so far, hasn't he?

CMRoyal
Hob Nob Regular

by CMRoyal » 02 Sep 2009 09:31

Chronicle saying three in, two out which I hope is right as that means the new right-back is coming in even if Rosie stays a while longer.

A bientot.

TFF
Hob Nob Addict

by TFF » 02 Sep 2009 09:34

CMRoyal Chronicle saying three in, two out which I hope is right as that means the new right-back is coming in even if Rosie stays a while longer.

A bientot.

http://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/sport ... day-drama/

Arse from their elbow...

Editorial Rodgers has also signed a right-back, whose identity has not yet been revealed, which has allowed Liam Rosenior to join Ipswich Town also on loan for the season.
But the Chronicle understands the mystery right-back is not Ipswich's David Wright and rumours of a swap deal involving Rosenior appear to be unfounded.

Picture caption Tractor Boy: Liam Rosenior is joining Ipswich Town with David Wright heading this way after an active day in the transfer market for Reading

West Stand Flash
Hob Nob Subscriber
Hob Nob Subscriber

by West Stand Flash » 02 Sep 2009 09:34

But this is all pointless chatter until we, Sheff Utd, Ipswich or the FA confirm these deals.

Yet again Reading FC are involved in laughable situations. Becoming rather frequent under Rodgers hey??

1201 posts